How ofter should a miniature wire-haired dachshund be stripped?

Home Community Dog Sports & Showing How ofter should a miniature wire-haired dachshund be stripped?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 19 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Doxie

I am getting a new puppy in Febuary and i was was wondering how ofter they needed to be stripped.

Karen

If you are intent on showing your puppy, use the breeder as a mentor. Most good breeders if selling a show potential puppy to a newcomer to the world of showing are more than happy to assist. They know the lines, how to make the dogs in that line show to their best, etc. Stripping coats on pets and stripping for show dogs is different. Now, if you are nto getting your pup from a breeder who shows, I would reconsider the deal and find a breeder who shows and is willing to part with a show prospect pup. Any breeder who says a pup will be a show dog should be avoided. A good breeder can get an idea of what pups in a litter have POTENTIAL for being show dogs but cannot gurantee it. So much happens in the first couple years with growth and changes – a bite could go off for example, adult coat not come into the best texture, etc. Most breeders I know will actually hold onto show prospect pups until they are a few months old or more to see how they grow out. No one should even be telling you a litter that is not even on the ground yet will have a show pup for you. No ethical or good breeder will gurantee that at all. So, look at the source of your pup and bear this in mind. Now find mentors within the breed. The Dachshund Club of America should be your first contact: http://www.dachshund-dca.org/ They can help link you up with good dachsie folk to mentor you into the world of grooming, showing and even help you evlautae the pup to make sure it really is a show prospect. If it were not for the folk who helped me and continue to help me along the way, I never would have finished my first Ch. It is a lot of work, money and effort to show a dog and learn how to handle one properly. Contact the DCA (link above) and find those mentors. Again, pet grooming in most breeds with wire or longer coats is different from show grooming…

Doxie

Ok, Thank You I do have a show breeder who shows often i have not talked to her in a few days however and thought that i would bring the question up on here thank you very much for your help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.