Non-shedding dog breeds can be an excellent solution for those who are concerned about allergies and messy dog hair all over the house. If you are thinking about getting your first dog or you just want a dog that doesn’t require a lot of grooming, the variety of dogs that don’t shed may surprise you.
Small Breeds That Don’t Shed
If you’re looking for a little cuddle buddy that you can cuddle without being covered in fur, you’ll be happy to find that there are several hypoallergenic, low shedding breeds to choose from.
- Basenji: If you love hound dogs, but want one that won’t shed, the basenji might be the perfect dog for you. Basenji’s are super clean dogs, and in fact, clean themselves much like cats do. They require little to no grooming and have no doggie odor. They also have lots of fun, playful energy.
- Bichon Frise: These happy little dogs have a soft, fluffy coat that is hypoallergenic and doesn’t shed. Regular brushing and grooming are required, but these adorable dogs are worth it. Bichons make superb therapy dogs, they’re great with kids and get along well with other pets.
- American Hairless Terrier: If you’re serious about finding a dog that won’t shed at all, the American Hairless Terrier is the dog for you. This breed is entirely hairless but is still silky and soft to the touch. They are alert and friendly, genuinely hypoallergenic, and the perfect size for the small home or apartment.
Medium Breeds That Don’t Shed
Perhaps you want a dog that keeps up with you when you go jogging, but still cuddles in your lap and doesn’t shed. A medium sized dog can keep up with you but isn’t too big for a small house or apartment living.
- Bedlington Terrier: The Bedlington is a fun dog that looks a lot like a sheep. Their crisp, non-shedding coats can be trimmed into the traditional Bedlington style or kept short, according to your preference. Regular brushing and trimming are required to keep the hair from matting.
- Xoloitzcuintli: This 3,000-year-old breed is calm, playful and intelligent. Due to their hairless nature, they do not shed at all. The breed comes in three sizes so it could be the perfect match for almost any home. They are a happy, upbeat breed that is perfect for families with children.
Large Breeds That Don’t Shed
If you prefer a large dog that can keep up with you all day but won’t leave fur balls behind. Here are some wonderful large breeds that won’t shed.
- Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier: This fun-loving breed sheds very minimally and requires regular brushing and trimming. They were bred to be farm dogs, so they’re rugged and tough. They are also independent while being loyal to their family. They need exercise, but a fenced in yard is sufficient because they are happy to play with another dog or even by themselves.
- Giant Schnauzer: These powerful and protective dogs are hard workers. They’ve served as police dogs, during wartime, and even as bomb detection dogs, so you know they’re smart. Be sure to keep a Giant Schnauzer busy, because if you don’t, he’ll find another way to occupy himself.
There are indeed lots of breeds to consider when searching for a non-shedding dog. You can choose between a dog with luxurious, fluffy hair, or even a hairless breed. Be sure to keep your mind open to rare breeds, and you’ll be sure to find the perfect fit for our home.