Help! How do you intoduce a new bird

Home Community Birds Help! How do you intoduce a new bird

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Betsy 17 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Kitty

[color=Purple] I have a Citron, and anyone who has had one knows they can be [glow=red,2,300]TRICKY![/glow] ?I really want to get her a buddy so she will have some company during the day, and at one point I would like to breed her. ?However, just about everything I read says to watch out when you intoduce cockatoos, but it can be done, and they leave it at that. ? 😀 So if anyone knows how or knows of a site with a little more info I would love to check it out~[i]Thanks[/i] :)[/color]

Linda

I don’t know about a Citron, but if this bird has been your baby for a while a new bird will cause some jealousy, and I would keep both birds caged during the introduction or do one at a time for a while and show your citron that you still love it the same, still will do the same things with it as you always have in the past and then when you have some time get them out at the same time, and be prepared to break up some fighting and return them to their cages until they get used to each other.

this has been the case with my conures and cockateils. I imagine the same is true for the bigger birds as well.

And it will take 3 to 8 weeks at most or more at least that’s how it happened in my case.

Betsy

Do not expect your cockatoo to like some outside bird and you need to realize cockatoos will KILL or seriously injure birds they perceive as intruders. Also, why are you wanting to breed cockatoos when there are hundreds of them given up to bird rescues around the country every year? Please don’t add to the problem. Most people cannot keep a cockatoo throughout its long life, and there aren’t enough good homes for the cockatoos that are already here. The average parrot has 7 homes throughout its life…sorry to sound preachy, but I see the other side of pet ownership…abandoned birds in need of homes. I have 18 birds at my house right now that I cannot find good homes for!

garima

I’m confused. Are citrons just bigger cockatoos?I am pretty sure that I’m wromg but here is my advice. Do not put two birds together that are different in size. Fight happen with same size bird. When I had four budgie I was going to buy two small cockatoos but I didn’t because the pet store owner warned if the cocaktoos got into i fight with them they might not survive.

Linda

There is no such thing as a small cockatoo, they are large birds, and you should only move up to being owned by them gradually. volunteer at a shelter, read up as much as you can or you may get into a situation that is horrible and unfair to you and the bird.

size? some yes, some no………….

the difference between a citron and other cockatoo’s are the species.

such as
    bareeyes,
    citron
    Umbarella,
    And i can’t say this right, Mulligan

bareeeyed have a ring around the eye,
    Mulligan are a salmon pink white color.

conures
    A SUn COnure is not a Jenday. There is a difference.

Patagonians are not blue Crown conures
    and Nandays are not Suns.

Nandays are beautiful green parrots with a powder blue bib, black head, beak, Little red and yellow shorts, with a very long beautiful blue tail.

A Jenday is yellow, green and red.

I hope that’s enough of an explanation

Betsy

Here’s a quick correct list of popular cockatoo species…cute birdz, you may be referring to cockatiels which are in the same family as cockatoos, but are the small common grey birds with orange cheeks…(is that what you were talking about getting 2 of?)
    1.) umbrella cockatoo (large white birds with pale yellow under the wing feathers) 2.) moluccan cockatoo (peach colored, very large birds) 3.) bare eyed cockatoo (white with fleshy eye rings circled with pale blue) 4.) citron crested cockatoo ( white bird with orange crests) 5.) lesser sulfur crested cockatoo (white bird with yellow crest) 6.) greater sulfur crested cockatoo (basically same coloring as lesser cockatoo, only a bigger bird) 7.) Goffin’s cockatoo ( white cockatoo, smaller than some of the other types)

All are MAJOR commitments, active, destructive, loud and demanding. Not to be bought on an impulse, whim or if every person in the family isn’t on board with all the challenges of owning a cockatoo. Need much time out of cage, tons of toys and wood to destroy, a huge cage plus a playgym or two, and are prone to feather and flesh mutilation, incessant screaming and biting if unhappy, lonely, bored or stressed. Can be loving, funny, are smart and clever, and can make great companions in the right home. There…that’s my bit on cockatoos!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.