Making bird toys

Home Community Birds Making bird toys

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jabbers 19 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Kitty

[glow=green,2,300]Hi Everyone[/glow]:) [color=Blue]I was just wondering if anyone knew how to dye/color the wood for bird toys? My friend and I work at a shelter and we were making some toys but the coloring does not take very well or it comes out streaked. I know the birds don’t mind it to much, but if anyone has a suggestion or a different method we would love your help! Thanks Tina & Rebecca ;)[/color]

Jabbers

I just got myself my first parrot. Its a Quaker. I also am wanting to make toys for it and my cockatiel. Is there a certain type of wood to use or not to use. Also what about the type of string that should be used to tie it all together? Thanks Troy

PoloxChick

Hey, the coolest bird toy i ever had for my bird, was a rolling train with a perch on the top, it was pretty cool, she learned how to balance on it and go for a ride.

Kitty

<color font=blue> 😉 Hi Everyone!! Well thanks for all the responses. I took me a while to reply and the dying tech. worked great!!!! Thanks. My brids go through toy like crazy and some toys are 15-20 that adds up quick!!! Also the best type of wood i found to use and is safe for birds is a soft pine. and i think any natural orange/citurs branches work great, too! I have been doing quite alot of research i just don’t want to write down all the types 🙂 Thanks again for the suggestions!! Kitty

I’ve also found soft pine to be the best for making toys. Anything harder, my Amazon can’t "break" it, so he gets frustrated and bored and ignores the toy. I’ve found putting pieces of plain rawhide chews between the pieces of pine, held together with a natural twine, to keep him entertained for hours! He loves chewing the rawhide! I’ve never dyed the wood — I was afraid it wouldn’t be good for him. I’ve found that using all natural colors kind of looks nice anyway… Just my two cents! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.