Are there any safe air fresheners around birds?

Home Community Birds Are there any safe air fresheners around birds?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Linda 17 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jill

I have recently gotten a peachface lovebird. I also have 4 dogs and 2 cats. Is there such a thing as a safe air freshener or plug in to use around a bird that is not toxic? Anyone out there know of any?

Linda

No I’m afraid not.

karla

Hi there,

It’s great that you are aware that air fresheners are hazardous to your bird. I’m not aware of any ‘bird safe’ ones as such.

What I wanted to let you know is that there are some other things that are toxic to birds; avocado, chocolate, ruhbarb and non-stick cook ware. I just thought that I’d let you know just in case you did not have this info. You’d be surprised how many bird owners are unaware of this.

Linda

it’s also the season for candle burning especially the scented kind. Don’t burn any!!! that will kill your bird/birds also.

For really excellent information on everything you want to know about birds visit Bill’s website. It’s http://www.birdscomefirst.org

Jill

Thanks.
    I researched a lot before I got Zoey so I did already know about the chocolate, avacado, candles, and teflon.

If anyone out there finds an organic or safe air fresheners, it would help on those rainy dog days when 4 wet dogs can give the house that "wet dog smell".

kim

Sage is right about the candles & the fresheners. There really isn’t any safe at all.

The best thing you can do is clean with vinigar. It only stink when you use it but not after & it neutalizes any odours in the house. The next best thing is to open up the house as fully as possible, when you can for fresh air.

Buy only 100% natural oils (not fragrants) or sweet spices, mints lavender etc & boil them in a pot of water or add them to a bowl of hot water & disperse them around the house for a nice scent.

Linda

anything scented probably isn’t that good of an idea……..

kim

There is a difference between scent & fragrant.
    Scent is 100% natural & YES IS SAFE for birds with 100% NATURAL OILS & sprices.

Fragrant on the other hand is artificial scent. Not safe for birds. Note the difference in the two!

Linda

point taken

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.