Getting a Horse, Please give Advice

Home Community Horses & Riding Getting a Horse, Please give Advice

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Liloaty92 19 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

eligirl

Hey, my name is Elizabeth, i’m 14 and getting my first horse. He is a 6 year old Bay Thoroughbred Gelding and I love him! All we have to do now is move him to our barn, now that I have a horse, i’m kind of in need of how much I should ride and visit it and things like that, any help would be GREAT!!!! Thanks! you can e-mail me at aerockwell@malibuonline.com if you want to talk, or just respond here! thanx, Elizabeth

eligirl

I have been riding since I was 4, I mean I know when to ride and how much and all that stuff, I was just curious what other people do for thier riding times

Liloaty92

Hi, I really hope you are experianced because TB’s are hyper, especially a young one like yours. You should visit the barn every spare moment you have, you need to establish a good bond with him, and make sure he doesnt push you around or him feel like he is in charge. You should ride about four times on the weekdays, and probably give him wednesdays off, also don’t always do the same thing, like while you are riding him say on monday, face one direction of the ring, the next day face the other direction. If you do one routine too often the horse will get bored and develop bad habits. The one thing you really want to make sure about, is that you don’t let him eat too many treats, especially from you, otherwise while you are grooming him or tacking him up he will try to turn his head around look for treats, which is annoying. If this does occur, then whenever he turns his head around put up your elbow, so it hits him, but not hard, this doesnt hurt them, but is irritating. On weekends you should probably ride him one to two times a day, maybe just a warm up in the morning, a simple 30 minute walk and trot, and then in the early-mid afternoon give him a walk, trot, canter and if he jumps some low jumps, always make sure to walk the first and last 10 minutes of each section. I hope this will help a little bit. Good luck ;D !!!

Mollie

i try to ride everyday enless it is raining or something is going on at that time etc.when i ride i ride about 2 a day…sometimes more and i will first do an extensive ride,to practice and give the horse its exercise,then i will put it back and let it rest (i call it it because i dont have a horse…i ride my friends(all of my friends…lol)and a couple hours later will take it on a fun trail or bareback ride around the barn or on a trail with some of our friends…we always try to give the horse time to rest(for about 2 or 3 hours..mabey more…so it dosent get sour.then i spend some time in between rides to groom,bathe,clean tack,clean stalls,do barn work or take lessons on a diffrent horse…i just do what i like to do,as long as the horse is happy doing it!

Go to my forum called Need any advice on getting a new horse or just look for my username if you can’t find the subject. The reason for this is that I have some software plugged up to my forum to get quick info. Ok Thanx

Mollie

o.k…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.