At what stage in a rabbits pregnancy…

Home Community Small Pets At what stage in a rabbits pregnancy…

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  SJ 19 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

GioBonkers

the mating was an accident, as far as i knew, he was a she, and I kept her for companion purposes, i must of gotten mixed up along the way as him and all his siblings were black (litter of 6).

SJ

Im not much of a rabbit expert but if she has had kits before then she should know what she is doing about how far in to the pregnancy to build a nest. I am not sure about how far into the pregnancy you can see them moving but I would think it will be quite far in. The main reason I am replying to you is about the doe being mated with her son. Who ever put them together is very irasponsable and the kits may be deformed or even die due to it. 3 of my GP are in breed, 1 of them is smaller but fine, another is HUGE, has a deformed jaw that needs operations to cut down his teeth as they grow outwards, the other has a VERY flat face and has breathing problems when put on shavings of anysort or any slightly dusty enviroments. DO NOT INBREED ANY ANIMAL. It will afect them the same as us, would you have a child with someone in your own family? To my knowlage reptiles show less effects than birds and mammles more than them.

SJ

Im not much of a rabbit expert but if she has had kits before then she should know what she is doing about how far in to the pregnancy to build a nest. I am not sure about how far into the pregnancy you can see them moving but I would think it will be quite far in. The main reason I am replying to you is about the doe being mated with her son. Who ever put them together is very irasponsable and the kits may be deformed or even die due to it. 3 of my GP are in breed, 1 of them is smaller but fine, another is HUGE, has a deformed jaw that needs operations to cut down his teeth as they grow outwards, the other has a VERY flat face and has breathing problems when put on shavings of anysort or any slightly dusty enviroments. DO NOT INBREED ANY ANIMAL. It will afect them the same as us, would you have a child with someone in your own family? To my knowlage reptiles show less effects than birds and mammles more than them.

GioBonkers

the mating was an accident, as far as i knew, he was a she, and I kept her for companion purposes, i must of gotten mixed up along the way as him and all his siblings were black (litter of 6).

GioBonkers

Hi, Im pretty sure that my rabbit’s pregnant because I can see movement in her belly, I was just wondering at what stage in the pregnancy can you see them moving ??? She hasn’t made a nest yet, can anyone give me any clues? Thanx, Gio P.S, could there be any problems because it was her son who mated with her?

mirical97266

Ok, first of all, how long has your rabbit been pregnant, second of all THE GUYS better shut up and give this owner a break. Some rabbits will make their nest when right when their about to have their babies. Some prefer to do it at different times, maby when they first breed, or a couple of weeks before the kits are do. It isint a good idea for the mother and son to be breed together at all, and yes the babies may be deforemed. The runt that will come out will probally have to be bottle fed.

mirical97266

Ok, first of all, how long has your rabbit been pregnant, second of all THE GUYS better shut up and give this owner a break. Some rabbits will make their nest when right when their about to have their babies. Some prefer to do it at different times, maby when they first breed, or a couple of weeks before the kits are do. It isint a good idea for the mother and son to be breed together at all, and yes the babies may be deforemed. The runt that will come out will probally have to be bottle fed.

saphiremoonz

I know this is an old board, but has any one actually looked up certain breed information? Inbreeding, also known as line breeding, is perfectly SAFE for advanced breeders. True, people who don’t know any thing about rabbit gentics should **not** attempt to purposelly breed 2 closelly related animals together as inbreeding amplifies all the good and bad characteristics. It is a given you will get bad kits at times (but not always), and good kits (not always as well). Mistakes happen, its not that much of a big deal if you’re willing to take the responsibility to take care of the off spring from the mistake. Kits can often be seen/felt any where from 14th day on usually. In extremely large litters I’ve seen it earlier (11 plus kits). Line breeding is how most breeds have been developed and better’d. Mini Rex, Netherland Dwarfs, Angoras, and Lops are some of the most common breeds that come originally from inbreeding. If The Guys ever reads this posting again, did you get these rabbits from a responsible breeder? Or were they result of an accident from a neighbor? As awful as it may sound, those babies should have been put down and quite frankly if they had that many problems as a baby they would not have survived over a few days. Nature automatically puts out those that are weak to die from birth. Some of the US best breeders have line bred stock only because they are the best animals around. Plus not all animals are the same! If you don’t know about some thing, don’t claim it unless you have scientific written documented and tried proofing of that claim. Its not nice to be so wrotten to other pple.

saphiremoonz

I know this is an old board, but has any one actually looked up certain breed information? Inbreeding, also known as line breeding, is perfectly SAFE for advanced breeders. True, people who don’t know any thing about rabbit gentics should **not** attempt to purposelly breed 2 closelly related animals together as inbreeding amplifies all the good and bad characteristics. It is a given you will get bad kits at times (but not always), and good kits (not always as well). Mistakes happen, its not that much of a big deal if you’re willing to take the responsibility to take care of the off spring from the mistake. Kits can often be seen/felt any where from 14th day on usually. In extremely large litters I’ve seen it earlier (11 plus kits). Line breeding is how most breeds have been developed and better’d. Mini Rex, Netherland Dwarfs, Angoras, and Lops are some of the most common breeds that come originally from inbreeding. If The Guys ever reads this posting again, did you get these rabbits from a responsible breeder? Or were they result of an accident from a neighbor? As awful as it may sound, those babies should have been put down and quite frankly if they had that many problems as a baby they would not have survived over a few days. Nature automatically puts out those that are weak to die from birth. Some of the US best breeders have line bred stock only because they are the best animals around. Plus not all animals are the same! If you don’t know about some thing, don’t claim it unless you have scientific written documented and tried proofing of that claim. Its not nice to be so wrotten to other pple.

Truair

I know this post is old but im going to reply anyway… i have been in this position before where i had an oops litter between a mother and her son. I never did see any movement in her belly or with any of the other litters so i can’t help you there. In all of my litters the females made the nest only hours before she had the babies… in one case i came home and checked on her at 12:30 at night and got up the next morning and they were all there at 7:00. the other one was within two hours. from 9:00 to 11:00. anyway-The babies were all healthy in the oops litter, no deformites, no sickness and no runts. They are all still alive today at 3 years old. Just make sure that mom has some sort of bedding she can turn into a nest. I would think that some movement would be visible in the last 2 weeks of pregnancy. hope i helped .

Truair

I know this post is old but im going to reply anyway… i have been in this position before where i had an oops litter between a mother and her son. I never did see any movement in her belly or with any of the other litters so i can’t help you there. In all of my litters the females made the nest only hours before she had the babies… in one case i came home and checked on her at 12:30 at night and got up the next morning and they were all there at 7:00. the other one was within two hours. from 9:00 to 11:00. anyway-The babies were all healthy in the oops litter, no deformites, no sickness and no runts. They are all still alive today at 3 years old. Just make sure that mom has some sort of bedding she can turn into a nest. I would think that some movement would be visible in the last 2 weeks of pregnancy. hope i helped .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.