Help finding "right" food for dogs

Home Community Dog Food & Feeding Help finding "right" food for dogs

This topic contains 1,199 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Max 2 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,200 total)
  • Author

Chuck

Chicken Soup *looks* good from the ingredient list alone which is why it’s listed as a good food. I try and make my website unbiased. Personally, I would not feed Diamond products to my dog. Every single formula Diamond made was tainted with aflatoxin which tells me their quality control was not there.
    There are favorites out there of mine:
    *Natural Balance
    *Timberwolf Organics
    *Blue Buffalo
    *By Nature
    *Newman’s Own
    My choice of Natural Balance Organic Formula is based on the company’s history, science, and expertise that can’t see being touched by any company. See the link for the company profile.

Mikka

they are doing ok on this food but my 7 month old has had diarrhea for a while and the vet did a parvo test on her and it was negative and they diagnosed her with gastroenteritis, but i had her on boiled hamburger and white rice and i had her on it for 3 days and now she has diarrhea again and they told me to serve her rice and hamburger again and if she doesn’t get better than i have to bring her in.

Stephanie

To chime in here….many dogs can get diarrhea from lots of things…table scraps (no matter how small the quantity)….dog treats….stress….new foods if not mixed properly with previous foods…then of course illness also.
    You are doing the right thing taking them to the vet and doing what the vet advises….just remember to look at EVERYTHING that’s happening on a daily basis.
    Keep us posted. 🙂

Stephanie

By the way….I switched my little Jesse about a month ago to Blue Buffalo-and my cats also. The love, love, love it. I’m VERY happy with it. 🙂

Mikka

i make sure that they dont get any table scraps at all and she might be stressed because it is her first winter and we live in michigan and she doesnt like the cold so i have to pick her up and put her outside and then she will go potty. could it be that she is holding it or that is stress’ her to go outside?

Mikka

hey noles i did a little more hunting and found out that diamond makes natural balance as well!!!!! i am going to have high blood pressure when i finally find a food for them. i feel like crying because i have researched CS and many other dogs have had bloody stools after using this food. i really dont know what to do. i need something that i can afford as well, (as high as 35 a bag as close to 40 lbs as i can get) i am so afraid that i will give her something else and she will get worse.

Chuck

BeanSophiemom: I think your facts are skewed a little but not intentionally. First, Diamond DOES NOT make Natural Balance foods. Second, Diamond *did* pack a dry dog formula for Natural Balance which was the Venison and Brown Rice. That formula’s ingredient of rice protein concentrate made by Wilbur-Ellis was tainted with melamine. That formula no longer exists.
    Read the company profile in the link below. No other company I can find will go to greater lengths to ensure safety of their foods.
    What kind of dog do you have (weight) and how much food do you buy?

Mikka

i have a 50+ pound boxer female, and a 60+ pound male and i go through a 40 pound bag in about 3 weeks. i went to a local organic animal food store and the owner gave me half a grocery bag full of sample bags and told me to put a little in my hand and see if they like it and i have only tried the canidae and the like that one but i have a couple of different brands to try. but i am feeling a little better now. and i have another question for you. what do you think of people buying dog food online? and if you would what suppliers(?) would you recommend?

Chuck

I used Canidae before moving to Natural Balance. Canidae is a good one.
    We buy our food online just because it’s a hassle to go to the mall — it’s shipped from the manufacturer to the online company then to you. They’re just a depository for foods. Most foods have a good shelf life and don’t stay around long in the warehouses of these shippers. I personally use Pet Food Direct in Pennsylvania. Not a single problem. I just order about 10 days before our girl runs out.
    I didn’t get to Canidae Chicken & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food – 33 lbs for $25 currently. HealthWise Chicken & Oatmeal Adult Dry Dog Food – 35 lbs for $32

Mikka

the owner also gave me innova and and california naturals and i think evo. it means alot to me that you like canidae, they seem to like it too

Mikka

thank you noles i have decided on canidae and i will receive my first bag by dec. 3.
    thanks again

Mikka

I have come across another food that I don’t know that much about and I was wondering if anyone has heard of it and what they think if it. It is called American Natural Premium. I went onto their website and seen many ingredients that were "… meal". I am considering switching them to a natural dog food because they are both CONSTANTLY scratching and biting at themselves, very dry skin and I just don’t like what they are on now.

Anne

That is a fabulous website!! I was so overwhelmed with all of the names. Thank you so much! I was curious how you feel about Evo/ Innova? That is the only one I had heard of before. Also, one of our dogs has diabetes. Do you think one brand or ingredient(s) would be better for him? Thanks again!!

Click on any picture to see full size:

Aimee

Hi Everybody
    I just wanted to introduce our company. We are Superbarket – where dogs shop!!
    We offer the following premium/natural/holistic dog food brands at extremely reduced prices: Timberwolf Organics, Blue Buffalo, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, Instince, Evo, Innova, Prairie and Canadae.
    We ship all over the US and Canada.
    We can also many other brands (we just don’t keep them in inventory).
    Check us out at http://www.superbarket.com or send us an email at info@superbarket.com

SJ

Ive tried reading through as much of this information as I can… then looked at the dates on some of it and thought that maybe some of the information is out of date…
    We have recently taken on a spaniel mix (cocker and springer) who has a number of behavioural issues. We are looking at what dry food would be best for him, and feel that Burns would be a great option, the down side being the price!
    Our first dog is on chappies, vet and behaviourist recommended, due to his highly sensitive stomach and allergies to dust mites found on dry food. Have to say whilst he has been on it he rearly has lose stools and flare ups of reactions. Plus it is fairly cheap and seems to keep him happy and content.
    http://www.burnspet.co.uk/dog/chicken_brown_rice.asp

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,200 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.