Help finding "right" food for dogs

Home Community Dog Food & Feeding Help finding "right" food for dogs

This topic contains 977 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Max 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 978 total)
  • Author

Mikka

I feed both of my dogs Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Lamb and Rice and they both have lustrous coats and are healthy and they like it . but lately i have seen lots of things about pet food and the pet store says it is a good food, but i want to make sure that they are eating correctly and well. if anyone can help please do and any opinions will be taken to heart! Thank you so much!
    Mikka, Bean and Sophia

Sue

diamond is decent food, I just prefer holistic human grade food. you can google "natura" & click on each ingredient for info on what it does.
    the ugly things you read about pet food pertains mostly to the junk from the grocery store or WM lots of info in these links

Mikka

the diamond i use is human grade and there are no by products or corn, i will google though thanks! i would love to hear everyones ideas and opinions too!!!

Chuck

I would never use Diamond because that company had every single product recalled do to aflatoxin poisoning which points to no real in-house laboratory or biochemist on staff. Diamond’s quality can be questioned just because their line of foods does not maintain the same quality across the board like better foods. Some of their formulas contain chicken by-product meal, meat meal, brewers rice, and whole grain ground corn.
    Two ingredients stick out as either poor or not needed: Fish meal and Salt.
    All fishmeal is regulated by the US Coast Guard an all fish meal contains Ethoxyquin unless a special permit is obtained. Ethoxyquin was developed by Monsanto originally as a stabilizer for rubber. It’s also been used as a pesticide for fruits. This preservative is banned from use in foods for human consumption. It has been linked to thyroid, kidney, reproductive and immune related illnesses as well as cancer.
    Salt (SoCl) is unnecessary in dog food. The food should contain enough salt naturally without adding it. Albeit salts are needed to sustain life in which case Diamond could have used sea salt which has trace elements of manganese, boron, sulfate, phosphorus, and calcium. One might also ask why they are using potassium chloride along with sodium chloride?

Sue

I did not see one thing on their site indicating humane grade & I was looking for that in particular.
    there must be a wide variety in their foods as I did not see corn or by-products however I agree with everything noles said. guess I should have looked at more varieties.
    another thing you may want to consider is that if you have large breed puppies – it is recommended by most reputable breeders that they are never given puppy food. they start them out on adult food.

Sue

noles – the difference is, she is feeding the "naturals" which doesn’t have by-products or corn.

Chuck

I have a problem with breeders being the full authority on foods. They really have no vested interest in using the best foods since the pups are for sale as soon as they are ready. I’ve also seen breeders using Iams, Eukanuba (and gasp Bil-Jac) as if that’s the final word on formulas. Breeders are retailers. They are average people possessing no extra intelligence nor education in biology, biochemistry, nutrition and associated fields required for evaluating dog formulas.

Chuck

suebgone….
    Did you not see the ingredient Fish Meal? That’s in her formula. It contains Ethoxyquin.
    Lamb, egg product, lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), beet pulp, natural flavor, flaxseed, fish meal, brewers dried yeast, salmon oil (a source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, L-carnitine, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Mikka

noles-
    what do you think of chicken soup for the pet lovers soul large breed puppy here is the ingredient list:
    Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, white rice, oatmeal, millet, potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), duck, salmon, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E Supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
    or eagle pack holistic select large and giant breed puppy
    Ingredients: Lamb Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Chicken Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Anchovy & Sardine Meals, Flaxseed, Dried Egg
    Product, Menhaden Fish Oil, Carrots, Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Peas, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Quinoa (Organic), Blueberries, Apples, Inulin, L-Carnitine, Taurine, Beta-Carotene, Cranberries, Dehydrated Kelp, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Lactobacillus acidophilus Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. subtillus, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae, and Aspergillus niger.

Chuck

Both of these brands make my ‘great foods" list. See link.

Sue

here are the ingredients in the food she is feeding now. there is NO brewers dried yeast in it ( as there is in the one you posted ) & I’m surprised you didn’t see that as a problem. yes, all types of fish meal are processed with ethoxyquin.
    Lamb, lamb meal, egg product, cracked pearled barley, millet, ground rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potato protein, oatmeal, potatoes, tomato pomace, flaxseed, natural flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), ocean fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
    I see that Wellness is one you recommend – about a year ago people were finding metal shavings in both the canned & the dry

Chuck

suebgone…..
    I got the ingredient list from the link below. Brewers dried yeast? Where did you pull that out of the discussion? Brewer’s dried yeast is not even objectionable by nutritionists such as Sabine Contreras as a problem ingredient. Brewer’s yeast is derived from the unicellular fungus Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It’s a source of B vitamins and chromium.
    You are probably confused with brewer’s rice which is a filler and objectionable. I realize you are probably tired of being corrected. Sorry, it happened again to you. Face it. You just don’t have the wits nor intellect to debate me.
    Wellness…so I’m supposed to list that they had an unknown problem in their processing. My site lists ingredients and nothing more. I update it as I find information and let it be noted that’s over 100 brands.

Mikka

thank you im going to choose them a new food from the list of the best foods, one question though… if you have a certain brand on the list but not all varieties are listed is it safe to assume that all the varieties are the best foods?

Sue

I prefer to get my ingredient information from the manufacture’s web site, not some discount web site that ships food.
    I am terribly impressed with your amazing wealth of knowledge, however I do not agree with all of it. thats how simple it is. you seem awfully angry & defensive & thats not good for your blood pressure.
    OP take a peak at the "natura" site & go on the compare tab, you can click on each ingredient to see what it does

Stephanie

I use Blue Buffalo..for cats and dog… 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 978 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.