Help finding "right" food for dogs

Home Community Dog Food & Feeding Help finding "right" food for dogs

This topic contains 977 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Max 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 978 total)
  • Author

Chuck

suebgone wrote:
    "however I do not agree with all of it. thats how simple it is. you seem awfully angry & defensive & thats not good for your blood pressure."
    Actually I’m a very cheerful person playing practical jokes whenever I can. You do not agree with what? Specify please. Your post is somewhat ambiguous. And my blood pressure is exactly normal 110/70, thanks for caring. You are still not answering the brewer’s dried yeast issue. Were you confused or just in error?

Chuck

BeanSophiemom wrote:
    "one question though… if you have a certain brand on the list but not all varieties are listed is it safe to assume that all the varieties are the best foods?"
    I wouldn’t say that. There are some companies that for some reason will have a formula with really good ingredients yet their other formulas have trash thrown in. Baffles me. Eukanuba lumps brewers rice in with regular rice as if it’s the same. Diamond uses meat meal, ground corn, poultry by-product meal in one yet other formulas are really good.
    I only list adult formulas and those where the nutrients are the same for healthy adults and puppies. It would take probably 2 times the space to add every formula including weight, breed specific, etc. so I list the company websites. I do know Hill’s Science has at least dry 31 formulas. Diamond has 17, Eukanuba has 30 dry formulas, Iams has 24 or more. Wheew.

Mikka

i wanted to start feeding them "chicken soup for the pet lovers soul large breed puppy formula" is this a good formula?

Chuck

Looks good….. you might email the company about the ocean fish meal and ask about its origin. Might be they use Menheden and didn’t specify. A small company like that should respond. I know Blue Buffalo wrote back to sbond007.
    Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, white rice, oatmeal, millet, potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), duck, salmon, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E Supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Stephanie

Yes, I had a multi-part question regarding one ingredient in Blue Buffalo. They emailed me back within 24 hours and answered all to my satisfaction.
    My cats and dog love the food….I’m very pleased. 🙂

Mikka

i just emailed them but i wasnt sure what heading to put my question under so i choose quality control. the more i think about it i want to get away from Diamond completely. so i will investigate more.

Mikka

yes they do use menhaden is that a good thing or a bad thing he also sent me a link to check out the fish.

Chuck

Menheden is an excellent fish meal source and used by the best food manufacturers. It’s a schooling fish as opposed to a bottom feeder (skate, ray) or various predatory fishes.

Susan

There are so many dog foods out there that it can be really tricky to decide what’s good or bad! You just need to find a high quality food that your dogs like and tolerate well. Most of the Diamond foods are among the better ones. If you dogs do well on this, are healthy and happy, then you’re probably on the right track.
    You can find a list of the Top 25 dog foods on the market today at the link below. There are also links to articles explaining an interesting method of comparing and analyzing any dog food according to the ingredients, and ‘report cards’ on many of the most popular foods. It makes very interesting reading!

Chuck

It’s been established that while Diamond may have some good formulas, they do not carry their good formula practices through their entire line and that bothers me. They have formulas with chicken by-product meal, meat meal, poultry by-product meal, ground corn, fish meal, and brewers rice. Diamond just can’t stand up against Natural Balance, Timberwolf Organics, Blue Buffalo, Chicken Soup, and several others that manage to keep top notch ingredients in all their foods.

Mikka

i have given them their first try of their new food today and they seem to like it! yeah! i choose chicken soup large breed puppy. i will let you know in the long run if they like it then as well. i read on the bag that diamond and chicken soup is made by the same people!! weird. it looks the same as their old food except the color of the kibble is lighter.

Chuck

Go figure! I still go by ingredients and cannot fail Chicken Soup because Diamond had the largest recall of pet foods in history. I really don’t like huge manufacturers making foods under other brand names. To me that’s hiding. I really don’t like it.

Mikka

Noles-
    i have fed both of my dogs the large breed puppy chicken soup for 3 days now and both of my dogs have vomited up their food today and my puppy has thrown up about 8 times and the vet said pepto bismol and that didnt stay down either. i think it is the food, but i had a little left that i was mixing with the new stuff and i figured that since the same people make it it was ok to just mix it all together in their food container and just scoop out their serving and now they are sick. what do i do?

Chuck

i have fed both of my dogs the large breed puppy chicken soup for 3 days now and both of my dogs have vomited up their food today and my puppy has thrown up about 8 times and the vet said pepto bismol and that didnt stay down either. i think it is the food, but i had a little left that i was mixing with the new stuff and i figured that since the same people make it it was ok to just mix it all together in their food container and just scoop out their serving and now they are sick. what do i do?
    Try using yogurt and plain white rice to get their stomachs settled. I really don’t trust anything manufactured by Diamond even under other brand names. I don’t think it’s the ingredients – I think it’s the quality.

Mikka

i took her to the vet and the doctor said that she had gastroenteritis and has her on boiled hamburger and white rice for 3-5 days and 2 RXs. do you think that chicken soup is a good food? you told me before that you did. I have heard from numerous people that chicken soup is a great food but i just want your knowledge as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 978 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.