House vs Home, dog wants an owner!

Home Community Dogs House vs Home, dog wants an owner!

This topic contains 19 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Danny 16 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Danny
    Participant

After what I saw today it is obvious that it is not the house and all of its physical structure that makes the home, it is the bond between the dog and his master.
    I just saw a homeless guy today walking his shopping cart, big dog and his life’s possessions. The dogs weight was good, coat was good and I saw a 40 lb plus bag of dog food riding just above the wheels. This dog was on a walk which many people don’t do with their dogs and just loving life.
    I think it would be a wise decision for the shelters to hook more people like this up with the dogs in those shelters. Saves the shelter from a big food bill, opens up space and gives the homeless a companion plus protection.
    Of coarse screen the person, not for a job but sanity etc. If he or she can pass a minimal test let them have a dog, or better let the dog have an owner other then the shelter. Its not being irresponsible, not if you saw what I saw today.
    Shelters could still offer the shots and minimal vet care at intervals which also would make it possible for shelter to keep an eye on and monitor the dog to be sure its being fed etc. They do it anyway housing them while spending all that money on food! In addition while officers are out and about not to busy these people are easily accessible being the fact that they are living on the street in plan view. Easy to pull over to check on dog or like I did today, see dog & owner while driving by.
    I cant believe they’d not do this. Get over the liability issues and "give the dogs an owner".
    I keep hearing how people need to go to the shelters, take the dogs to the people with a program that saves both of them money.

SJ

I can see the positive sides of doing this, for the dog and the new owner but what about the down sides. Homeless people often stay in shelters especialy during colder times, and most shelters dont allow dogs, so either the homeless person leaves the dog outside or has to stay out with the dog. Unfortuantly homeless people get alot of abuse, such as objects been thrown at them, this could cause any dog distress and could harm it or cause it to become defensive of the owner leading to the dog bitting.
    Another point is that what homeless people really need other than a home (obviosly) is a job, which can be difficult when you have a dog with no where to put it.
    If this was a perfect world there would be no homeless people or other animals.
    Im sorry to sound so down on your idea but I think that while some homeless people may provide better care than some owners that have a house not all will and each case should be taken as an individual.

Stephanie

Have to disagree with you here, ROTTI-I think the negatives outweigh the positves.
    I have met COUNTLESS homeless people at my shelter because they cannot take care of THEMSELVES much less their dog. The homeless shelters
    HERE stay at maximum capacity and MANY, MANY nights the people have nowhere to sleep…obviouly WE can’t house the animals overnight as that would mean that many more would die because we have no room. I have tried to give them dog food MANY times and they don’t want it….it’s just too hard for them to take on another living being. It’s heartbreaking because the person AND the animal trully DO LOVE eachother….but you have to do what’s best for all. If they tell me that they can’t care for their pet, I certainly won’t argue as I know it isn’t a hasty decision on their part.
    While most of the time, the people sincerely love their pets, most ultimately come to the conclusion that they must first take care of themselves.
    I DO though AGREE that it doesn’t matter where you live, as long as you can properly care for your pet. I have seen MANY homesless people with dogs..I have NO PROBLEM with that-assuming they are taken are of.
    To me, it really as simple as HAVING YOUR PET SPAYED or NEUTERED.
    Dogsand cats are in a LOSE/LOSE situation today and it’s ashame….AND it’s OUR FAULT—WE have let this problem get to where it is today.

Danny
    Participant

I sent an email to have the above post erased?

Danny
    Participant

(Part )
    >Simple but first let me point out; you stated; <
    (I can see the positive sides of doing this, for the dog and the new owner but what about the down sides. Homeless people often stay in shelters especially during colder times, and most shelters don?t allow dogs, so either the homeless person leaves the dog outside or has to stay out with the dog.)

Answer >Interesting how you admit to knowing the positives sides but list known of them? You do however waist no time listing all the down sides. So first let me uncover what I see we are dealing with here "negative guys"! There now, so do you have an agenda to stem the tide keeping it currently played as is while doing what so many do to prevent what could be a step in the right direction or at least a partial fix when in reality we can find the same number of negatives with absolutely everything we undertake in life that is life, in the flip side! So without you listing the positives while rambling about the negatives you show why we have such a huge problem and it is not people wanting to breed the family dog, it is people taking all the ideas and not implementing them. Why? I say so the people working the dungeons can keep a job, without these dog their unemployed (talking management here)! These dogs are many shelters bread and butter! Maybe not much bread and butter but none-the-less. I for one would have whatever shelter I was managing population cut in half in a year and stop operating it like a charity whining about how back yard breeders are the problem, lol, management is the problem and yes all the way to their top?
    So you say dogs wont be aloud in homeless shelters? Yet they?ll be aloud in animal shelters to assure people keep their job, but only a certain number, the rest are killed, interesting? We don?t want the extra dogs to dip into the Christmas party fund do we? If I remember correctly hospitals are often where sick people stay (not dirty homeless people) and guess what at one time dogs weren?t allowed in. But now dogs are all over the hospitals, care facilities etc. So what?s different about these pups, are you discriminating about a bunch of shelter animals as if they aren?t worthy unless they have a house, an owner that is employed that are given baths weekly? I would think that if we can find a way to let flee-bitten butt-licking animals into a hospital we sure enough could find a way to let them into a homeless shelter where there?s already flees. Give me a break! This is what I am talking about and why we are where we are, wimpy attitudes (nothing personnel) running things outside the confines of these places keeping them in the position there in.
    Homeless could agree to pick up trash in our cites, their already digging through yours and my recycling bins at 2AM stealing. Give them a dog, a plastic bag, a road between two intersections picking up liter. Homeland security to train them to look for anything suspicious etc etc. All of our roads could be clean with added surveillance. And for it they get lunch every day. This gets them out of the parks and the dogs out of the shelters. All kinds of remedies. But you have to really care first, and not pretend you do! Pretenders just come up with ways to find problems for why things won?t work! <

Danny
    Participant

(Another point is that what homeless people really need other than a home (obviously) is a job, which can be difficult when you have a dog with no where to put it.)
    An Answer >While my idea benefits the homeless person he or she is not the number one benefactor we are targeting, it?s the dogs! We are yes using the homeless and they are in-turn benefiting, if they don?t want to they don?t have to! I am not here to straighten out the homeless persons life, in fact many of them are right where they want to be which is homeless. With that fact a reality again the dog would be with the owner 24/7. If he gets a job and cant care for the dog he can return it, but that might be 6 mouths or 5 years later. In the meantime the dog was free and the shelter was free?d-up of housing it for that time. Otherwise homeless peoples home/houise is the outdoors, which happens to be my favorite place!
    Building a park where dogs are aloud, how hard can it be, plants some grass, couple of trees porta potties fence it and put it near the shelter. Now their home safe and secure while there used as sargate dog owners. Or as you mentioned if homeless person gets a job he can now afford to rent and has now provided a (house) home for him and his dog. In time he can go to the shelter and afford another dog<

(If this was a perfect world there would be no homeless people or other animals.)
    Answer >Good point, So lets deal with it, try something different and stop whinning and attacking those who arnt the fix nor the problem, meaning a person wanting to breed the family dog.<

Danny
    Participant

(And part 3)
    (I?m sorry to sound so down on your idea but I think that while some homeless people may provide better care than some owners that have a house not all will and each case should be taken as an individual)
    Answer > first lets be real I am not saying we are taking every homeless person and giving them a dog; please re-read my post about the ?sanity evaluation? regarding these people. Meaning I am not sacrificing these dogs to people who have no clue! That said there are people going into these shelters today and being sold a dog etc with no clue what a vaccination is! In fact they cannot even pronounce the word in cases! I know that there are those who will need help to understand and therefore given further guidance. And no offence to the employees of these shelters, they are in my mind victims of the management. Upper-management who ?see no evil feel no evil? as they find people to blame through the ears and mouths of their employees. And while they leave these poor employee the horrible job of destroying these dogs rather then given them a home through creative measures. Upper management who never have to insert the needle or meet the animal, and the cities that house these k9 death camps! Yes these employees are going to be brain washed, stand up and say they?ve seen it first hand, seen what? The bad pet owners out in the field contributing to these dogs? Noticed I said ?bad? pet owners? People who breed their family dog are not not bad pet owners, nor are they contributing to a problem. This is just the lazy-mans lazy management tactics to deflecting the problem and finding a solution so they can save (keep) money. They want to blame this group because it?s free and easy. Of coarse no matter how you stop new-borns its going to lead to less animal population, that?s a no-brainer! But the real fix would cost money, and force the government to implement more laws and regulations to enforce, possibly prying into peoples personal lives to take a peek at the situation. Well their doing it now by attacking the people who want to breed their pet. So lets do it right and go after the people who are the real problem. If that means impounding dogs then so be it, lets find real owners for these dogs! There are plenty of resources out there! Management just has to get off its butts for the dogs.
    As long as we have ?followers? rather then ?leaders? with ideas who would be willing to implement them we will be stuck on this mira-go-round. And animals will die again today?. If any of this sounds harsh it is not meet to offend I am thinking about the victims here, I don?t see the people destroying these dogs as victims, other then victims of their poor upper managements inabilities to be creative and then go after those in legislation who pull the rug out because their so paranoid liability wise.
    Sorry for being so long here, there?s no short way of discussing this!

Danny
    Participant

"I have met COUNTLESS homeless people at my shelter because they cannot take care of THEMSELVES much less their dog."
    SO? Whose talking about them? But wrench throwers!
    I realize there will be wrench throwers!
    I didnt say we would be using those who weren’t fit to take care of themselves. The man (homeless) I saw on the road yesterday with his dog I bet would rate right up there with many of you with how he took care of his dog, if not better? And yes I bet it would have been hard to stand next to him without holding your nose. So what, the dogs don’t care! Because don’t get this doesn’t mean its a bad idea!
    In order for a solution to work you must understand it, stating that because there are homeless that fit into the category of people who would not be able to handle this does not mean ALL of them are in that category. Many could handle it whether they smell or not.
    So we find the homeless who are capable, its written in my initial post! But first we must lose the "high-n-mighty self opinion" of our selves in order to do so! None of us are "no-it-alls"! Just to lazy to come up with something better? Is it just plan easier to destroy dogs instead? Is it more cost effective instead?
    This is exactly what I am talking about regarding the lack of ability on the part of those running these shelters. Where one homeless person does not have the ability to take care of a dog another will. As I saw yesterday. But already we have someone ignoring that fact! Lets talk commons since facts here as a whole not throw around half -filled opinions. I myself am not interested in shelter workers "work security" I am interested in getting these dogs out from their care. I am definitely not having an "argument competition" either so you will not hear me calling on other posters by name to come defend me either. This is for the dogs not winning an argument!
    I do not think this is a touchy subject, I think it is an ignored subject. But due to the constant finger pointing at the wrong group by those who know better but wont admit it I think its time to put up or shut up. If you don’t like my idea than think of a better one (or put a lid on it in the breeding and breeds thread)!
    Don’t say "I see the positive but the negatives out weigh them"! Like what the shelters are doing to these dogs are not the same or worse then if a homeless candidate failed and the dog paid somehow! Yes its playing Russian roulette for the dogs using homeless, but the guns half loaded! The guns fully loaded in many shelters!
    LOL, think about it! There were positives and negatives in the mind of the person who hired you to work in that shelter, but guess what they hired you! Arnt you happy they weren’t lazy, didn’t let negatives blind them to the positives? Its that way with everything so it means nothing and only furthers the demise of the dogs. Ah but that’s the brainwashing I touched on regarding upper management.
    Throw them (upper management) out of a job and lets replace them with people who get it done, and get it done right. If later it means some people lose there jobs (cut backs) on account there’s not enough dogs and cats to take care of so-be-it.
    I think Ive said enough I hope others will hone in for the sack of the dogs, cats etc. Again not for the sake of pulling the rug out from underneath an idea, but for the sake of coming up with one! Anything that’s better then the current crises that exist at the leadership level and trickles down to these initial response-post that are no surprise to me which have occurred already. (nothing personnel!)

Debbie

I do my job for FREE—lol….I WISH I was paid….lol…and it’s very hard, dirty work.

Stephanie

dani-YOU AND I NEED TO GET TOGETHER!
    I, also VOLUNTEER my time…no one HIRED me….I wish we HAD THE FUNDS to HIRE just ONE person!
    I’m certainly not holier(?) than thou……as a matter of fact, I remind myself OFTEN that life could be worse!
    It’s all about MONEY. MONEY, MONEY…..that is why animal control facilities do MASS KILLINGS…that’s why MANY, MANY shelters (that are not for profit and exist solely on fundraisers and volunteers) have to say NO, NO, NO….
    It’s also about TIME—espcially when your people VOLUNTEER their TIME—most have other jobs AND FAMILIES…heck, and pets of their own..
    ROTTI—-as I’m sure you know….rescue is very difficult…mentally, physically and MONETARILY….I don’t have all of the answers…I just try to do the best that Ican with what I have.

Danny
    Participant

"ROTTI—-as I’m sure you know….rescue is very difficult…mentally, physically and MONETARILY….I don’t have all of the answers…I just try to do the best that Ican with what I have."
    So then fare enough you admit you dont have all the answeres, so why pull the plug on an idea? and keeping the same routine? Come up with something!

Stephanie

My, my…you are confrontational today…I think I’ll get off of here for awhile..no need to ruin my day also.

Stephanie

I am very interested to know ROTTI, what you are doing daily to try and combat the pet-overpopulation issue—as it is a very big one.
    I’m not being facetious-I really want to know.

Debbie

It seems as though no one else’s opinion really matters in this thread.
    There are many SHELTERS and many PEOPLE who do good work when it comes to pet overpopulation-as THAT IS the BIG issue here.
    I don’t think ANYONE has all of the answers…and I don’t think that anyone here proposes to.
    So, sbond should just STOP what she’s doing and find homeless people dogs? Yeah, good luck with that. That will have much support….they are probably beating her doors down now.
    Before you go NUTS, ROTTI….I’m not saying that you are WRONG….I’m just saying that many people ARE doing good work…you shouldn’t take that from them.

Danny
    Participant

"am very interested to know ROTTI, what you are doing daily to try and combat the pet-overpopulation issue—as it is a very big one."
    Your seeing it!
    So now how about leaving me out and coming up with some ideas.
    Furthermore I didn’t say there was one fix.
    Rather then going back and forth with me, how about a few ideas. If you cant come up with any then fine. However if you can I am happy to read them.
    Start an "idea drop box" at work, keep it anonymous if you fear your boss will fire you if they don’t like it. Don’t be afraid to change things if your heart is breaking so badly. At the end of each week or month pull the ideas out of the box, make a list of them and vote on which one(s) are best. Do this every month till someone ponders up something good, that cant be ignored then run with it. Send it off to your mangers or state Humane Society or whose ever in charge. Take action, stop complaining and take action about all the new puppies and where there coming from and take action on how to find the ones you have in the facility homes. Again I am not have a discussion contest with you, but you are engaging me in such with your previous question.
    "Go Crazy" , what, lol !
    Like I said I will not be calling on other posters to back me up nor hold my hand, I’m not a BS’er here.
    So if you are such the animal lover then you’ll try to come up with something to discuss as well rather then targeting me and my mood which is really irrelevant when it comes to the dogs sitting in shelters, ya know?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.