Have you ever been bitten by a dog?

Home Community People & Their Pets Have you ever been bitten by a dog?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lindsey 15 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Danny
    Participant

Has anyone on here ever been bitten or know of someone that has been bitten by a dog, if so what kind of dog? Please tell us if you feel the bite was provoked or unprovoked and if you are now afraid of dogs or that particular breed of dog? Just wondering is all?

Kurt

Been bit a few times..
    First in face by a collie cross (my Fault I was only 9) stepped on foot.
    German shepard when was hauling feed cured it though as bit me and milkman all the time and was a sneaker clubbed and tamed right down then owner shot as not mean anymore.GRRRRRRRRR should hit owner.
    Bit by a few rescues but because they were scared and abused so niether of our faults..
    Am I scared of any dog? No way but do try training kids to never approach a dog without permission in schools when bring my bloodhounds in, and will kill a dog if must if attacks me.

Kurt

Forgot a few…
    1 old walker dog while coon hunting we were training with pups and held Jack back and pup dragged coon over near him and when pulled back got teeth in thigh but he let go and a few times when rescues we had started fighting and I got in middle to stop it. Lucky I vaccinated all the rescues for rabies and all our dogs were also.

K

My Great Aunts had a poodle that only they could go near. She bit me a few times when I was a kid and would walk past her bed in the kitchen when they called me in for lunch. Our family also had a Border Collie who bit me a number of times, especially as she got older. "I" had a Chihuahua that would bite anyone who would try to sit by me on the couch. My cousin got it bad on her face. We were kids, so the bite was pretty nasty, and she carries the scars to this day and we’re both in our 30’s now. She’s afraid of small dogs from that incident. And the town that I moved from last year had a ban on Pit Bulls, so I had to give my girl up when I moved there. However, there were 2 "police trained" GSD’s that would terrorize the kids at the bus stop every morning until their "master" came out to put them in the house. My neighbors in that town had 2 black labs that they’d let out every morning to run the neighborhood and those dogs wouldn’t let anybody walk on our road when they were out. Scary stuff, my daughter and I were "cornered" by them a number of times. The man who owned them would tell people, "Don’t move and they won’t bite you." And I have a friend who was attacked by some kind of spaniel dog (I’m not sure which one) and was severely injured. Poor girl, she’s in her 30’s now as well, I think she was 12 when it happened… and she’s very self conscious about the way she looks because she is REALLY scared from the attack.

Dawn

ive been bitten a few time once when was a baby by a collie (jealousy) once by a Lab cross, i was scating passed when was about 8 and it just dived at me and bit my side .

the most horrific one was i had a puppy when is was about 12 and was walking down a main road. a Staffie dived at the pup so being a child i picked the pup up and tried to run away the staff grabbed my leg and locked on to me, i tried to run into a pub and men shut the doors, not letting me in. As you can imagine i was screaming a man ran over to me and kicked the dog that hard it lost its grip on my leg.

its Never stopped me being scared of any other dogs than Staffs.

Euleashia

Yes. This particular dog was not trained, nor did he have shots. Not sure what type of dog it was, but it was an Asian breed (happened while stationed in Korea). He was very territorial and I happened to be petting him when someone opened the door behind me. He got startled and nipped my arm. Didn’t break the skin but I got a nice bruise and scar from him. They put him down a little while later, turned out I wasn’t the first person he had bitten. I am a little wary of other dogs now, but once I see that they are friendly it all goes away.

Danny
    Participant

Dawn just curious, what kind a dog is a staff to you, and did it occur that maybe the staff really wanted the other dog? How come you arnt affraid of Labs when it appears the Lab mix only wanted you due to the fact that you hadnt picked up another dog then ran away. Professionals say it is perfectly normal for a dog to give chase after another dog and this dog (staff) may have only been doing that and saw you as some kind of extension to the dog you were carrying? do you think if you might not have picked the dog up that dog would have left you alone and went after the pup instead thereby saving yourself from the attack? Just curious is all…thanks

Danny
    Participant

Diamondtiger I gather your in your thirties? So your childhood was a few year ago, but not to many :). The only thing that has changed is our ability to put up on the airways and in an instant the news of the day! So while we know dogs were biting back then as they are today we hear about it in a micro-second today where as just 50 years ago you might not have ever known? You have shared some very serious stories that you had to endure as a child. You didn’t get physically malled compared to some, but emotionally and mentally it appears so. Do you think maybe the number of bites hasn’t risen so much as our ability to hear the stories? I mean with the media today right, compared to say the 1940’s or 50’s or long before. It is my impression that nothing has changed regarding breeds other then the unfortunate hijacking of the Staffordshire dogs into Pit fighting dogs. Which society I think as a majority is smart and will decipher this fact. Its the politics, liabiltiy driven by good-old money right that is the real burden here? But other then that dogs have been doing this for centuries! No one on the west coast would have ever heard about a dog mauling on the east coast 50 years ago unless by covered-wagon and many months, ok maybe morse code! So to me it appears nothing is new except our ability to report it fast and lawsuits of coarse!

Dawn

hi a staff is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier,
    as i said Earlier I was a Child ! so i automaticaly picked up my puppy i didnt want to see it ripped to bits!!

Im Not saying or implying that there is anything wrong with Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and thing that the irish Blue ones are stunning looking dogs and most have good temprements.
    but what i am saying is that yes ! i am scared of them through that experiance. but strangely not scared of any other breed maybe it is because it locked onto my leg !! .

Danny
    Participant

At age 18 and at a group get-togeather I was bitten in the face by a German Shepard. The dog was allowed to walk lose around the house so no one thought twice about this dog before he bit me. We were all leaving and at the front door, the dog was standing next to me seemingly friendly so I bent over and patted him on the head stood back up and with out warning the dog jumped up and got me on the face (cheek). I think I was shocked more then I was hurt but it did break the skin. Guess he was saying "I dont want you to leave"?

K

Ouch! Hey Rottie… did you happen to watch the video of the police GSD that I posted in the Wrong Breed thread? I’m sure I don’t have to point out the victims mistakes to you, but as others might not see them I’ll go ahead and say "it". The man in that video made 3 very big mistakes in dealing with an unfamiliar, and sometimes familiar dog. Mistake 1) He petted the dog on top of its head, which to a dog is a "show of dominance". A dominate dog will not take "kindly" to that. That GSD in the video gave a warning when the man did that, by lowering his head and his ears went back. Mistake 2) Leaning in towards the dog and approaching it w/2 hands on either side of its head = warning 2. Dog leans back away from the man and postures in a defensive manor. Mistake 3) The man leaned in towards and over the dog, another show of dominance = challenge & BITE because the threat did not back off the first 2 times. Add to that the fact that that dog was probably trained NOT to be dominated = disaster in the hands of the wrong person or when put in a situation such as the one in the video.

Danny
    Participant

Yea I saw that video and see that now, just goes to show that there’s more then one breed out there where 100% percent domestication really does not exist.
    Whats funny is the dog sat there comfortably, then after the pat on the head took a second still no sign of being nervous. I had moved away by standing up and half step back, dog could have seen this as a ‘safety issue for him’ but rather jumped up and bite. I have patted many a dog on the head with other breeds (although gingerly) including rotts, and pits without this happening. Kinda this dog took offence to it rather then scared etc. Kinda like if someone at your age patted you on the head rather then a hand-shake as they met you, is what it seemed like. Dog seemed insulted so-to-speak? Otherwise I saw no fear nervousness etc in that particular dog? Guess he’s a good actor?

K

Which dog? The one in the video or the one that bit you? I’m just wanting to be clear before I say too much. I do know though, that law enforcement trained dogs are trained specifically NOT to be dominated. I showed that video to my hubby (who is a police officer) and he just shook his head and said that both men were idiots. The man who was bitten (mistakes I’ve already pointed out) and the officer handling the dog, should have payed attention and stopped the man after the first " wrong move".

K

Also, in answer to your previous questions to me, yes… I’m 33. I’ve had dogs (actually, I grew up in a "zoo" of various animals) all my life and have experienced quite a few scary moments in that from all sorts. I’ve been studying canine & animal behavior since I was 12. A few dogs that my family had were unsound and nothing that we did to correct behaviors could change that. I learned long ago what it takes to be a responsible owner. Anyway, yes… I think that the biggest "problem" is that we have the ability to hear about these things more frequently and faster, and from around the globe; whereas years ago it was more localized. I think another reason for peoples fear though, is the inability to identify a dog’s breed and the fact that media reports don’t rely on professional identification, but public opinion which is more often than not wrong. I’ve owned APBT’s for 13 years now. I know a lot about them. But I still can’t id them all… and I’m not ashamed to admit that. A lot of vets and so called "breed experts" can’t id every single pit that they see… and there are many other breeds that are as difficult to identify. Couple that with all the myths about diff breeds, and well… it’s just a mess of ignorance.

K

I should clarify… when I say public opinion, I mean the average persons identification of certain breeds… not actually their opinion. I don’t believe that any opinion is "wrong" perse. I do however that a lot of opinion comes from misguided sources other opinion that has been written as "fact". There’s a post on another forum that I’m a member of… I’ll see if I can’t find it and post it here. It’s actually pretty interesting, and it discusses this very thing. Opinion that turns into "fact" simply for being put down on paper. I’m rambling now so I think I’ll go change a diaper. LOL!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.