is it ok to own just one rat?

Home Community Small Pets is it ok to own just one rat?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Taylor 17 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

??? i have one rat and iwas wondering if it was ok just to won one? because i have been told by this other site that it wasn’t ok and then they were calling me an animal abuser because of it. so i am just wondering if it is ok just to own one rat or should i ahve at least two? please help me

Alexia

If I were you i would get another one. Especialy if you arent able to play with him all the time. But most animals prefer to be in pairs so they have like a friend to play with, but I would not call you an animal abuser, I would though get another one 🙂

micromidget

One rat tends to get very lonely. I have 9 rats, one of which we have to keep alone. He had kept as a single rat and later returned to the pet store where I bought him. Though he is the sweetest rat we have (to humans) he is by far the loneliest. He was never socialized and doesn’t get along with other adult rats. Repeated attempts to get him a roommate have failed.

You do need to have more than one rat, unless he just won’t get along with any others. I’ve had a rat like that; no matter what I did he hated everyone who wasn’t human. Most rats are MUCH happier with a companion though.

Anjori

Hi. I have a rat who was kept in a psych. lab for two years, with no other contact from rats. When i recues her, I decided she needed a friend, as I have two rabbits who adore one another. I got another rat, who I fell in love with and was the sweetest animal I ahve ever had… Unfortunately, I had to put my dear rat (Lady Margaret- see memorials) to sleep and now my lab rat, Satine is all alone again. She is at least three, so I am debating about getting another one, I have tentatively decided to get another one this weekend at the Humane Society. When I see Satine curled up in teh hammock alone, it makes me sad. It is so sweet seeing the little rats snuggling. Though it was painful for me, as Lasy was sick, it was a great thing having the pair. I say give it a shot. There’s less guilt involved when you’re gone a lot.

lauraliee

it is ok to have just one rat but give her lots of attetion. female rats need companionship more than males do and tend to get very lonely. you should consider getting another female so she’ll have someone.

my rat is a male

lauraliee

not a good idea if its a male don’t put another male in there they will fight, unless hes a baby then they might get along,males are very territorial, you can always have him nutered and get a female to put in there. i have 6 rats and only one of them is a male and he just goes every where with me and my girls get to run around my room, but i take him places with me when i go out hes a good lap rat too.

Anya

[quote author=crazy_psycho_rat link=board=37;threadid=757;start=0#msg6049 date=1091501818] my rat is a male [/quote] You should get another male rat, then. You may need to get a considerably younger male–they would be less likely to fight over dominance. Well, good luck!

thanks for everuone’s opinion but my rat is do just fine by himself. and i cannot get another rat because i already have to many aniamls. but my male rat is doin great.

Anya

Whether you get another rat or not is your decision to make, but I bet he would be much happier if he had a friend. If you tried it, you would see a difference in his character almost right away. I’m not going to tell you what to do, I’m just saying that it would be a good idea. Besides, rats aren’t expensive and having two is just as easy as having one and your rat benefits from it. Just a thought………. Well, good luck with whatever you decide to do. 🙂

Anya

You have no reason to get all mad about it, I was just giving some advice. You were asking if it is ok to own just one rat and I was just answering your question. And new males don’t neccessarily get killed, not if you get a younger one. I have introduced new ADULT males into my group of boys, and there was no problem. Don’t ask a question if you are not happy with getting advice because I was just trying to help. :-[

i know that a rat is not expensive but i already have to many pets and in order for me to get another one i would have to get rid of my pets that i have now and sorry but that isn’t happening. like i said before my rat is doin fine on his own. and i have talked to a number of people about it and they do not think it is a good idea because like someone said before the males will most likely fight and i do not feel like haveing a dead rat on my hands. and i am not getting a female rat and then getting my boy fixed because i have enough vet bills just with my dog so ya agian isn’t going to happen. and besides i shouldn’t even have the rat i have now because my mother is allergic to them. so bringing another into the house will like kill her. so to end this all right here. my baby boy is doing just great by himself.

Nikita

just out of curiosity, why did you ask if you already knew you couldn’t get a second rat, regardless of the answer?

this was before i knew.. we just got my mom tests back like a 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.