‘Help’ stop the jumping

Home Community Dog Behavior ‘Help’ stop the jumping

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ramin 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Nicky

Can anyone please advise me on how to stop my 7 month old lab from jumping up at people. He’s excellent with other dogs and coming back when he’s off the lead, but he does keep jumping up at people and when he sees children running and playing he tends to knock them over! It’s got to the stage that if there are children in the park I have to put him back on the lead just in case he knocks one over and hurts them.

Christie

You need to makle him understand that while this may be acceptable in the dog world it is NOT acceptable in the human one. Make sure he gets NO attention from jumping . Try turning your back to him. when he stops jumping at you and he sit, then you can pet him or give him treats. You can also make him site or make him lay down BEFORE he recieves attention. However while he is out in the park, you may want to consider a re-call so he doesn’t jump on people and last senario, which I almost never reccomend is a eletriconic long range trainer so he can be corrected frmo a distance.

E

Hello,
    I don’t have any other advice than the previous poster, but I did want to bring up one issue as a "just in case". Perhaps the situation you described of your dog being off lead takes place in a dog park, but just in case its out in public I want to give your a friendly warning that most public places (at least in America) have leash laws and it is illegal to have your dog off lead. There are so many horrible things that could happen (and I’m not just talking about your dog biting someone) that its just to scary to risk, at least to me. The main thing I worry about is that if your dog does know over a child the parent will over react and sue you or if your dog does somehow break the skin of the child then the parent could have recouse to take your dog and have it tested for rabies. All I’m saying is it just seems like too big of a risk. I hate it when people bring in little kids to the dog park. First its against the rules and the parents don’t monitor their children at all, at least in my experience. I hope I didn’t offend. Just felt concerned.

Katelyn

Hi. I have a friend whos dog likes to jump. If you have a big yard you could put up a huge play pen for your dog. When your dog is around people and wants to jump, I suggest to have a spray bottle with water and sprit his face when he jumps. ( They tend not to like that) He then may start to connect the jumping with the water and relize jumping is bad. That is the advice I have, a vet told my friend to try that method.

Lucy

When you have a dog that will top out at 60 to 80 lbs. as an adult, teaching the "off" command is imperative. The old school of training advised kneeing the dog and knocking him over or stepping on his back feet. These methods are neither humane nor safe for the dog and should not be used. Some people use a "no jump" harness, which keeps the dog’s feet on the ground using a figure 8 around the dog’s legs. These devices are fine for people who don’t want to take the time to actually teach the dog, but the minute the harness is not in place, the dog will jump up on people. You indicated that your dog performs a good recall (come), which leaves me to believe he probably has a fairly good handle on the "Sit-Stay" command. If not, you’ll need to work on that first. Once he has mastered sit-stay, you can begin working with the "off" command. Don’t use the word down, it can be confusing since it’s the command to lie down. Start by putting the dog on a leash and ask him to sit and stay. Have a friend come in with a treat and walk towards the dog. The friend should not make eye contact or say anything to the dog. The minute the dog begins to jump, you should say "Off" and the friend should turn around and walk away. The friend then returns to the dog and repeats the first step. The minute the dog keeps his feet on the ground, she should give him a treat and praise him. ..Continued

Lucy

Keep your training sessions short, no more than 10 min. at a time, and use a variety of people and locations to work on the "off" command. If he jumps on you, consider turning your back on him and ignoring him. You can also try grabbing his front legs, not his paws, between the elbow and wrist and holding him up in front of you. He won’t like this and will be very happy to get off when you give the command. If you have children, or can borrow a few of the neighborhood kids, put the dog on a leash (always use a buckle collar, not a choke) and ask him to sit and stay. Have one of the children run by him. If he lunges to chase the child, repeat the stay command, put him back in the stay position and repeat the maneuver. The minute he stays, give him a treat. (I recommend using high value treats: small pieces of freeze dried liver, cooked chicken or hot dog.) Have another child run by him and then stop. If the dog tries to jump on the child, use the off command then ask him to sit. Always make sure you praise him when he does as he’s asked. Again, these sessions should be short. More children can be introduced as he begins to learn that he cannot jump on or chase them. As he gets better at the off command, begin dropping the leash. Keep it near his shoulder so that if he begins to jump you can step on it. Keep working at this until he understands that it’s better to have his feet on the ground than in the air. Good luck.

Christie

Someone here said to use a spray bottle …if you ever intend on being able to have your dog groomed or use sprays of any kind..do not do this. I have seen it to many times in my shop and no the dogs are afraid of anthing that resenbles a spray bottle and are difficult to groom. Instead try a penny can. take an empty soda can…rinse it out real well, and put a few pennies in it..most dogs hate that noise and it does work wonders. Use it to back up your NO odrop it next to him…

Andrea

Hello, I myself have aLab puppy and he is a jumper too, what I have found is that if you simplym turn your back to him he will stop and everyone else that he is jumping on needs to do the same. Its been a week since i started doing it and he is finally not doing ALL THE TIME!! Hope that helps.

Elizabeth

…I wish someone would try this with my mother-in-law’s Bichon… little claws hurt bare legs! (Maybe I should keep a can full of pennies in my purse…) 😉

Melanie

You might try a no jump harness. Below is just an example, you can probably find them closer to you. See URL. I ordered my sister one of these for when they were in public and Murphy got so excited! Worked for her.

Nicky

Thankyou all very much for your advice, it is greatly appreciated. I’ve just joined a dog training class so hopefully this will help too.

Nicky

Thanks woofnmew your reply was very helpful and appreciated.

doreen

got me thinking Nicky1 as you own a lab
    have you visitedwww.labradorforums.co. ? it looks interesteing. and thanks for your concern abot Harry whippet

Nicky

No I haven’t cobnut, but I will, thanks

Taylor

I know that this sounds like a horrible thing to do to your puppy but the only good way to stop you puppy from jumping is to step on it’s back foot. When it jumps on you, take your foot, and step on the puppy’s back foot, do not break the foot, or step on it hard, but just enough so t will effect the dog. Some of them will squeal. They won’t know where it is coming from, it will just know that it hurts when it jumps onto someone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.