dog toys

Home Community People & Their Pets dog toys

This topic contains 16 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  sarah 17 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

sarah

I have a beagle who is almost a year old. He is a good boy, housebroken and very active. He loves to play but as soon as we give him a new toy he makes it his new goal to tear it to shreads. He loves his toys but they are lucky to last 20 min. Does anyone know of a toy that will hold up to him. He likes bones and has all different kinds, but he really likes dog toys. I would be willing to pay more if i knew that he would not chew it up.

Taylor

Have you used a Kong? They are pretty thick — If your beagle is getting though them I am impressed 🙂

sarah

I have tried Kongs, they last a little longer. It takes him a while to chew them up, but when he finds a week spot he knaws at it until there are little pieces all over the house and I am afraid that he will get a piece of it stuck in him, so I throw it out. He really likes the toys with the sqeekers in them.

Taylor

Yeah, I used to have a golden retriever that loved the squeakers and ate the squeaker bit as soon as he could.

Other than a Kong, I am out of ideas for you — I have had some pretty serious chewers in the past including that retriever that chewed up an entire fence in one weekend….but he never could get through a Kong.

Maybe you will just have to limit the times that you give it to him — perhaps only when you want to relax and he is a little over active. Don’t leave him the toys when you are not around…

Good luck.

sarah

Thanks for your help! He never gets any toys left with him. He also can’t have blankets or pillows or anything of that nature either, because he will have them torn to shreads. Poor guy! But it is his own fault. He is like a prisioner becasue he has to be caged becasue I don’t even want to know of the dammege that he would do! So far he has chewed a hole in our deck, the leggs of the rocking chair, 2 beds, coulntless shoes and blankets and anything that he can get from him that he can run with and we can’t catch him fast enough to get it away from him. Oh yah and i think that he wants a swimming pool becasue he is digging up the back yard for us to put one in. He is so helpful (lol)! I keep waiting for this puppyness to be over and have a nice calm loving dog. Soon i’m sure!

Hollly

Sounds like he has a lot of pent up energy. Destructive behavior can be a sign of frustration. Try taking the dog on lots of walks to use up some of the excess energy?

Taylor

It sounds like your beagle is the reincarnated version of my retriever (he lived until he was 13 🙂

Mine destroyed our stereo system, the back yard fence (3 TIMES !!) and countless shoes, doors and two dog houses. He was also trying to dig us a pool.

He ended up being the best dog — but a terrible puppy.

Have Fun 🙂

sarah

He goes on a morning walk and an afternoon walk. Plus so he does not have to sit in his cage all day while I am at work, he goes to a dog sitter. I don’t even want to get started on what all he has done to her house and I had to pay to have repaired. He has a very dominating personality and that gets him a lot of trouble. I think that you are right he gets very bored but I really don’t know what else I can do for him. That is why I was hoping that if he got a new toy that he really liked it might calm down all of the craziness! All I can do is hope!

Taylor

I assume you have thought of this, but does your community have a dog park? The one here is filled with beagles. In fact, they even have beagle and basset hour on Sundays since they like being in packs.

To me, it sounds like you are doing everything that you can at the moment.

I have no idea if dog training classes would help — there are a lot of dog trainers on this site, maybe they have better ideas.

Hollly

Yeah, it seems like you’re doing everything right, the next thing I would do personally is contact a dog trainer.

sarah

We don’t have a dog park. I wish we did,he would love it. I don’t know about the other dogs though. He is so friendly with any other dog that he tends to scare the dogs and their owners. He is just very sociable. I think that he should have been a human. I have spoken with the trainer at petsmart and she recomended classes for him, but I just don’t know if it would be worth it becasue he would be so interested in all of the other dogs he would not not pay any attention to what he should be laerning. I know that I can have one on one classes but he would still be distracted from all of the dogs that would be in the store and the smell of the other dogs!

Taylor

I have never been to a trainer myself — but I have heard that the beginners classes are relatively informal and that trainers and people expect the classes to be a little chaotic at first with the regular bum sniffing social behavior and all that comes with it.

Perhaps a trainer would let you come to the first couple classes free to see how things go — or maybe you could go an observe one without your wild one 🙂 to see how they work.

Another idea is before we had a dog park, I know that a few dog owners found a fenced in school yard (that was never used by kids on the weekends) and advertised a "doggie meeting" in all the pets stored. So many owners began getting together because of this that they got enough support to get a real dog park.

sarah

Could you please explain the concept behind the dog park and the rules that go with it. EX. do all of the dogs have to be fixed, the owners clean up after their pet? Who does the maintence (cut grass) ect.

Taylor

I am definately not an authority on the matter — we just got ours 2 years ago and I have only been 20 or 30 times…

But from what I know, it is a park owned and ran by the city but they do not cut the grass or clean it — they have just fenced it off.

The grass is worn down by regular wear and tear and it is "policed" by the animal control unit of our local police (the same people we get our dog licences from). It is also sponsored by our local humane society.

It is an open 24/7 "come and go as you please" operation. You clean up your own dogs messes and any other garbage laying around.

It is really just looked after by the community of dog owners that visit it. More of a moral policing operation, but if you did have complaints, you would bring it to the animal control unit.

The rules are that your dog has to have their updated shots, be liscenced by the city and not be aggressive etc.

It is obviously an off leash park so dogs tend to sort things out on their own if there is an altercation — which there rarely is. Normally if there is it is because someone has kept their dog on the leash and it thinks it has to protect their owner. lol.

Some people bring their bikes to ride in the park (it is quite large and has a small creek in it for dog swimming) Many bring balls, but under the understanding that the ball can’t possibly belong to just their dog and normally a group of owners throw balls for a bunch of different dogs.

sarah

Wow that sounds amazing! I think that I am going to write a letter to the mayor asking her to put one in for our dogs. I don’t think that my dog would be the only one that would benifit from this! Thanks for your advise and help. I will let you know what comes out of my letter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.