dog problem @ mealtime

Home Community Dog Behavior dog problem @ mealtime

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Patti 17 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Trisha

I have 2 golden retrievers (6 month males,litter mates). I have had them since they were 8 weeks. One of the pups has a problem at mealtime. He eats very vigorously and with urgency until all the food is gone, then is looking for more. He isn’t aggressive (growling or biting) with the other dog or humans, but I am concerned with this behavior. They eat together with no problems and separate with no problem. He eats so much so fast sometimes he will vomit. He acts as if he has been starved or he doesn’t think that I am ever going to feed him again, even though he eats 3x a day. I have tried slowing him down, but I am out of ideas. I am worried that this may turn to aggression at some point.

Bobbi Jo

Have you tried putting him in a separate room from the other puppies when he eats? Also has he any wormers? If he still does it maybe call your vet and ask him or maybe take him in to make sure everything is ok, although i’m sure it is. Good luck! Hope this helped.

Mikki

Try putting something in his bowl like an unopened can of veggies. He will have to eat slower because he’ll have to eat around the can. Has worked for many dogs that I know of.

Nicole

My Chihuahua has the same exact problem….she goes crazy for food like shes starving and is always looking for somethiong to eat…..i feed her 3 times a day in larger than reccomended porsions….The vet said it was normal since she was the runt of the litter and always had to fight for food…Maybe this is your dogs problem to…Try feeding him/her seperatly from other pets and give a healthy amount of treats between meals..

Taylor

I would say make sure you get the dog used to you taking the food away part way through the meal — it will make sure he does not get aggressive about it as soon as he gets older.

Give it right back of couse — but you don’t want the dog thinking he "owns" it. — it could lead to dominance issues later.

Lmj

You have a good reason to be concern about this. Obvious you taught him it was ok to get excited when you put his bowl down. This excitement is not good because it teaches him to be the dominant one. When he gets excited, he does not have to respect you and can get you hurt. You need to change how you approach your dog with his food. You must start with calm and assertive energy. First you must wait until he calms down before you put his food on the floor. I would keep him on the leash, when he tries to gulp the kibble, I will give a correction. If this does not work, I would be serious about hand feeding him from his bowl. This is good way to teach him to be calm when he is eating it from your hand and then the bowl.

Taylor

LMAO — calm assertive energy HA HA

— I agree that that is the attitude you need to take, it was just a very funny way of putting it

LOL

Susan

Using smaller kibble helps and also they make bowls especially for dogs that eat too fast, it has a raised middle, like the poster that said put a can in the middle. It looks like a donut bowl, they can’t take large bites.

Patti

So no aggression starts and to teach him patience. Make him sit/stay until you tell him "ok" then he can eat. I would also have the can in the dish. Also, if needed put small portions in the bowl at a time so he is only eating alittle at a time to avoid vomiting. Separating would be a good idea so because the threat is there of other dog taking his food.
    Now being he does eat like this to avoid Blout (deadly) and he is a big dog get the bowls that are in raised holders. Do you know what I mean? Eating or drinking to rapidly can cause this deadly condition.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

K

Our 4 month old mix does this too. I’ve done everything suggested here, and nothing has slowed him down. He’ll sit and stay until we tell him it’s okay, but he still eats around the can just as fast as he ate without it. We dont’ feed the dogs together… they are in seperate rooms. It doesn’t seem as if he’s afraid Karma will take his food. Actually, he rushes through his and then tries to get hers. We put him out as soon as he’s done eating because of this. He’s a healthy dog. He’s not aggressive about his food. We pratice taking the dish from him while he’s eating, put our hands in the bowl and near his mouth… we can handle him no problem. I don’t want him to become aggressive though, and I worry about Blout too. He’s not quite tall enough for a raised dish though just yet.

Trisha

What is BLOUT? I have never heard of this. 2 of you have mentioned it now..?? anyone??

Patti

Blout is where the stomache or intestines twist. Large breed dogs are very suspectible to it due to bending over and eating (fast eaters especially) and drinking. That is why I suggested a raised bowl holder. Their abdomen becomes extended and it is very painful. And a rush to the emergency vet follows.
    When my Staffy comes in from outside and starts lapping up water non stop I will always say ‘enough’ he knows I mean take a breather. It is a condition that alot or pet owners do not know could happen. Just google to read up on it. Better safe than sorry.

Mikki

In case you do decide to google it, it is spelled bloAt, and is also known as gastric dilatation volvulus or gdv.

Patti

Thanks for the correction…I should do some spell check. Thanks again for the good catch.

Trisha

Thank you,
    I will google it and get the info I need and I will definitely be purchasing 2 raised feeders. I don’t want either of them getting BLOAT.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.