dog problem @ mealtime

Home Community Dog Behavior dog problem @ mealtime

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Patti 17 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Susan

Do NOT get a bowl raised off the ground! I’ve read that they can cause bloat. Keep the bowl on the ground but get one with a center piece that helps to slow them down. (That may be the bowl you were talking about but just in case I had to mention the bowl raised on a platform is bad.)

Patti

Suer,
    Really, I have read they are good to avoid that. Well, if you are right, I stand corrected, sorry don’t want to give out incorrect information.

Patti

I do know it is best not to let them eat right after exercise and to wait an hour or two after eating before exercise or play. One other thing especially being he is a fast eater give him 2,3 or 4 (depending how many times he eats a day) smaller meals instead of 1 or 2 big and his gulps it down.

angie

I recently got 2 chihuahua puppies, and guess what, the female which is 8 weeks does the same thing your pup is doing. Mimi, is her name and she acts as if she’s starving and devours everything in a minute. I took her to the vet and she did have worms. Her tummy is really big, too. When I feed her I have to remove the food bowl in order for her to stop!! I feed her at least 3 times a day so there is no way that she can be starving.

Susan

I thought I heard that raised bowls were bad. Nobody here seems to agree. So I googled it and found a lot of forums with pet owners like this where people thought raised was good. Then I found a medical site that says most people don’t even know about bloat and that raised bowls and eating fast are the top two problems. Here are two sites to look at:

Epidemiology:
    http://www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/update2.htm

Raid the wind Kennels:
    http://www.raidthewind.com/bloat.htm

Patti

Suer,
    I am just going on what I have read about it and what my son, who is a vet tech has told me. I know the bigger breed dogs are more suspectible to getting it also. If I am wrong, then I am sorry but bloat is not something a dog owner should not be aware of. I am amazed how many do not know about it. So I will leave it with google it and research it to know about it.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.