HELP my 17 year old cat!

Home Community Older Cats HELP my 17 year old cat!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deborah 17 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Deborah

Thank you again – the fluid is called Lactated Yingers, and the ‘small’ needle size is 24 x 3/4" –
    That’s not all I have to fo to my poor BooKitty, the Petromalt, I put in a large syrine *minus the needle, of course), in order to give to him without him spitting it out – which he has mastered. – Then, because he has constipation issues, at times he needs an enema.
    So you can see, it’s amazing this poor kitty loves me at all.
    And, ;et’s add cutting claws on sensitive feet (the grow fast & curve).
    The needle thing is just the last straw…I HATE having to do any of this to him, but I know I have to.
    I do not have anyone around to help catch him – so when is the timing rigt? Do I do all this at once? I have been trying to spread it out.
    Any sugesstions are more than welcome.
    Again, thank you for your time and thoughtfulness.
    (I tried putting his picture here, but seem to run into "size or format" issues – jpg, 52jb)

Lisa

When you say Lactated Ringers, do you mean a full bag of fluid? Lactated Ringers are IV bags given to people that are dehydrated. How much fluid do you give? A 24 gauge needle is big. And 3/4 needle is long. You may be going into muscle instead of subQ. The liquid shouldn’t burn so I would try to give it like I said before. When he is sleeping on your lap, grab his scruff gently and raise it. Slide in the needle at a 45 angle. You should be able to feel where his skin is seperate from the muscle. If you are hitting a lot of resistance, you may be in muscle and that isn’t good. As for the malt, have you tried to get it flavored? When I have to give it, they lick it right off of my finger because it tastes good. Instead of an enema, have you tried putting shark oil into his food? If you do this with all of his food, it may regulate him. Check with your vet first to see if shark oil is ok for your kitty. I would do all of the stuff at one time. Then, with a routine, he will know that it is safe to be around you for the rest of the day. Do it first thing in the am and then the rest of the day he might feel safe. As bad as it sounds, try to keep in mind that his needs come before yours. Don’t keep him alive just because you don’t want to let go. When his quality of life is bad. Let him go to God. I don’t know how we tell when it’s time to let go, but be aware that it’s coming. Good luck

Click on any picture to see full size:

Deborah

Yes, I know. I have been through something like this (but not to this full extent) before…they let you know when it is time. I would never be so selfidh as to keep him alive just for my sake.
    He was a sickly baby, found in a dumpster more than 17 years ago, with his brothers and sisters. He was the only one who made it. Boo has always been ‘special’
    Thank you for all of your advice, I will ask the vet for smaller needles (actually, I these are the smaller of the 2 sizes she gave me).
    As far as the fluids, I only give to him when he really needs them, up to 100 cc’s. It’s funny, in the course of a day, he can go from looking fat and healthy, to super dehydrated and back again.
    This fluctuation os strange.
    Once again, thank you so much for caring, and, sharing your advice.
    God Bless You

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.