HELP my 17 year old cat!

Home Community Older Cats HELP my 17 year old cat!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deborah 17 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

claire

I have a 17 year old cat, who until recently has been very fit and active, so much so that nobody believes that he is 17. Over the Christmas period I have noticed that my little man is constantly hungry, so I feed him, he has always been a slim cat, but now he is losing so much weight. During the night he sleeps in the bathroom and for the past week he has left behind something in the bath, I know this is rather unpleasent but I am not sure if it is poo or vomit, as it looks like a mixture of both, and smells as bad! I would be devestated if anything was to happen to him as he is such an imprtant member of our family. If there is anyone who could help or has had a similar experience then please, please, please leave me some advice. Thsnk you

Sue

he could also be diabetic or have feleuk. he needs to have a complete blood panal done & be tested for feleuk, & FIV

Janet

i agree that you need to get your kitty to a vet asap please.

there is a chance your kitty is in pain so while you have the vet run tests i’m sure you will want to get pain meds or whatever kind of meds for kitty so he is not in pain.

if you have any doubts as to what the problem is please bring kitty for a second opinion to another vet place.

good luck. sending you many get well vibes for your kitty.

claire

Thank you all so very much for taking the time to post your replies. I have an appointment at the vet this week for a complete check up. I am pleased to say that for the past three nights, my lil’ man has left nothing behind in the bath!! I myself have checked him for lumps and can find none, and I am pretty sure that he is not in any pain, but having said that I am not a vet. He definately seems to have perked up a bit as well, he is not as listless as he was or as clingy. I will keep you informed as to what the vet says. Thanks once again for your kind words. Fingers crossed for him please!
    THANKS

Lisa

I am glad I saw this post! I have a 17 year old cat, Taboo, who has had some similiar problems. She has had a big wieghtloss over the past year. Her breath has become rank! She is a long haired Main coon mix. She grooms herself alot but she now gets mats and she looks unkept. She shows no sign of pain but she acts like she is starving. She was my first cat and she is the only one whoever got table food. My 4 other cats have no interest in table food. When I get up in the morning, I have begun giving Taboo a can of soft food. She now gets up on my chest around 6:00 am and paws at my face. As soon as I get into the kichen she acts insane! She doesn’t ever seem to be satisfied with how much food she is given. I always have a bowl of dry Iams out for all of the cats, so she always has access to food. I’m in nursing so I thought either cancer, diabetes, Teeth problems, Hyperthriod and more. I took her to the vet and he said she has some bad teeth buy nothing to bad. He had no answers after a lot of tests and money, I got no answers. So I am interested in finding out what you are told. Let me know and good luck!

Click on any picture to see full size:

Janet

enigmaluna
    i would imagine that after spending alot of money and getting no answers that the last thing you want to hear is get a 2nd or 3rd opinion…. but i have to tell you to do that. my mamakitty had a urinary problem and the first vet had no clue. the second vet did every test imaginable and did have a clue but was not positive. so to be on the safe side i then drove over an hour to get into the city to go to one of the biggest, if not the biggest, animal hospital in new york for a 3rd opinnion.
    bingo !! she confirmed that she also felt that what the second vet thought it might be she also thought it was.
    so we put her on the meds, which are lifetime meds and she is fine now. sometimes you do have to go to multiple vets even if you love and trust your vet, to find a vet that can figure out what the problem is. just like human doctors. good luck and if you bring your cat to another vet also bring in a fresh poop sample to be tested. there are lots of worms eggs and parasites we bring inside on the bottom of our shoes so that even if you cat never goes outside they can get. good luck !!

Lisa

Thanks

Lucy

I agree with the others – get him to the vet asap. It could be a problem with his kidneys or his liver, or it may have something to do with his thyroid. My old guy, who passed away about three months ago at age 21, had thyroid problems from the time he was about 18 on. Pills kept him on an even keel until his kidneys finally shut down and he said his last good night. Good luck.

claire

Firstly I want to thank you all for your advice. I took my 17 year old cat to the vets and sadly he had to be put to sleep, it turned out that he had fluid in his abdomen, and he would have ended up in a lot of pain, so sadly he is gone. It is soo hard, as I keep thinking he will swan himself back in here and start to purr round my legs like he used to. The hardest part was having to tell my 8 8 year old son, who got very angry and keeps asking me to get him back.

Thanks for your kind words, and advice. I know it was for the best in the end.

Lisa

I am so sorry for your loss. I have been thinking about how it will be when Taboo and Rufas go because I know it won’t be to long. I’ve had them both almost as long as my 19 year old son. I can’t imagine how I can live without Taboo snuggled into my neck at night purring. I get tears in my eyes thinking about it. God bless you and your cat. I believe we will all be reunited with our pets in the end. Otherwise it wouldn’t be heaven. Lisa

Janet

i am so so sorry for your loss. hugs.

Deborah

I agree with Lisa, there is a Heaven, and our more than too much loved ones will be there to greet us.
    I am dealing with my 18 year old cat not doing well..he was a \\\"mommy can we keep him, I promise to take care of him\\\" from my now 26 year old son, who is grown up with his own family.
    Boo is all I have had – and thae absolute losgest & most faithful relationship I have ever had.
    Life without him, can\\\’t and don\\\’t want to imagine it.
    I do have a question for anyone who has had to use Sub Q\\\’s on the cat – how long could you tolerate doing so? It so hurts to have my Boo afraid of me, and always running and hiding from me – on the other hand, it tears me up to see him wasting away, but not yet \\\’his\\\’ time…any advice?
    Thanks through the tears.

Lisa

I am sorry you are going thru so much. I know what you mean about giving meds and having your baby afraid. Try having the syringe ready and put it next to you. When your baby is sleeping on your lap, while petting, give the shot. Where are you giving it? Are you using the thinest needle? That can make a big difference in the pain factor. Are you making sure you aren’t going to deep? You should be able to just lift up the scruff gently and give the shot at a 45 angle. The cat should barely feel it. I’m not sure what you are giving, but make sure you don’t keep giving it in the exact same place. I’m in people nursing so the advice I’m giving you is based on that knowledge. I don’t know if you can give it in the scruff but that seems logical to me. Give me some more info and I’ll try to help. Lisa

Deborah

Thank you. I have to give him the Sub Q fluids under the skin…and we both hate it. I did opt for the smaller needles…but still, it hurts. It just makes it so much harder when my ‘baby’ is now afraid of me, and runs away when I try to get near him.

Lisa

How much fluid do you have to give? A 31 gauge needle can almost not be felt. Whatever you do, for now, don’t grab him when he is by you, loving you. You might lose his trust to come near you if everytime he lays by you, you grab him. I had to give a round of antibiotics to my cats recently. They also began running everytime I came by them. It hurt my feelings but I knew it was for thier own good. So I started having my son grab them and I would then give the med. I stopped grabbing them when they were on my lap. They started to trust me again. Since it sounds like you are going to have to do this for the rest of his life, you need to come to some solution quick. What kind of med, fluid, are you giving? Maybe the med burns, not the needle. Let me have more details so I can come up with better advice. What is the med? What size is the needle? How much do you have to give and how often? Where are you giving the shot? How do you get the cat and how do you give the shot? Let me know. Good luck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.