"poor" people owning dogs

Home Community Dogs "poor" people owning dogs

This topic contains 235 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  addseo1119 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 236 total)
  • Author

Linda

I have not read the dog whisperere, so I really can’t say yea or nay to anything, but I hope that after reading the last post that people for the most part and I’m sure most do, sit, think, weigh it out in their minds what they read, and then decide if they believe some, all of the authors point or none of it.
    Having said this, I’m not sure I’m following all of what I was reading in it, but depending on the way it was written and the way you are putting it across I have to say, some I agree with, but a large portion I do not.
    I guess I’ll just have to read the book or books by this author to get a feel for this because I’m not sure he’s accurate in knowing what a dog does or does not feel when death is encroaching upon our beloved canines.

In other words, don’t take everything you read on any subject as gospel.

Study, sort it out and then decide what you believe.

I guess that’s why I’m having trouble with the last post. It made me feel the poster, and I could be wrong takes what was said by the dog whisperere as gospel, and that there is no way he could be wrong.

So would you please mind clarifying your position so at least if not myself others might understand what point you are trying to make.

Alicia

I was a skeptic of the dog whisperer at first as well, but after trying his techniques with my own bounty of dogs I realised the man knew what he was talking about

I simply used his book as a reference to the homeless dogs.

I’ve read quite a bit on dog psychology and have found nothing contrary to the fact that dogs live in the moment. They’re emotions are based on what is happening right NOW, not what has happened. This is not based solely on one book, probably 30 books and numerous online articles.

claire

I am afraid that I do not agree with your statement at all. As long as the owner of any pet is giving it love and attention which any animal deserves, and that the pet is happy then should’nt that be all that matters? I live in England, where I know that there are schemes for people on low incomes with pets, so if their pets get sick or injured they get help toward vet costs.
    As for "high quality" toys/chews/food etc. most animals I have had and know of, are just as happy to play with a stick! I don’t know if it is the same in the states but in the UK you can get decent dog food, at a price anyone could afford, so no one has to suffer. I think it is more important to spend time with your pets, than to spend money.

Alicia

thats what I was trying to say but it got all screwed up :3 dogs just want you, toys are simply a bonus

Rachel

Well, in speaking for those of us who think financial situation should be a consideration when deciding to have a pet, I am not refering to expensive toys etc… I am simply saying that you need to be able to cover health care costs should an emergency arise, or basic necessities. I hate to see pets put to sleep because their parents couldn’t pay for medication or surgery. It is just being realistic about the costs associated with having a pet. I think everyone on this site probably has the means, but many people take on the responsibility of ownership without realistically having the means to provide the basics. Doesn’t everyone agree that you have to be able to provide food, shelter and medical care?

Sue

well jerry, I would have to disagree with you. First of all we do not have someone to pay our bills for us in the states like you do over there. If our pets become sick or injured it is up to us to pay. Have you ever watched a dog die of bloat, rabies, distemper, parvo? None of it is pretty. What about the pregnant chihuahua that is in terrible pain & needs a C-section? Just let her die? No love is not enough. And I know Pedigree is big over there but if that is what you are feeding, it is not good or even decent food.

Lucy

I agree with the statement about Pedigree…it’s garbage food. In fact, the pet food sold in most grocery stores is awful. ‘Nuf said. Owners could look into Pet insurance, which is available in the States, and it comes in mighty handy when a dog or cat has a huge medical bill. Of course, you have to pay a monthly premium. There’s also a credit card called Care Credit, which can be used for dog/cat health expenses. If the cost is over $300, they give you three months with no interest to pay it off. Afterthat, you continue making payments but are charged interest. In the bigger cities, low income people can get help with expenses from some of the larger humane organizations, so there is usually a way out. But pet ownership is a huge responsibility, and an expensive one to boot.

Linda

My aggrivation with the whole pet insurance thing is sure they cover cats and dogs, but what about pet owners that have cats, dogs, and at least a bird?

Birds can be expensive too, and what’s the point in paying for a pet insurance when the insurance only covers part of your family and not all, meaning the bird.

stacey

wow what a shame-has anyone walked threw a shelter recently?if only people that can afford dawgs can have them what a world! their are so many doggies in need of homes (as well as other animals) my newest car is a 1988 olds with 230 thousand miles on it so i do not have luxeries mydog eats very well he has his shots he is now 5 chocolate lab and is blind as a bat- I do not have the 15 thousand dollars for the eye surgery that may or may not give him sight back-there are no gaurentees according the the vet he is happy well adjusted and even plays ball as long as we dont move furniture around the vet says he’ll be ok he listens and smells for everything should I get rid of him sign him over?we go for jogs occasionally and play ball everyday I guess I am his seeing eye master !because i cannot afford something so expensive people should not judge-however when my cat was sick last year i spent 3500 dollars when all was said and done- he dies at 18 anyway do not really believe the vets need to make as much money as they do-we have rescued cats over the years my husband is allergic and he jumped onto a bridge In January to get the poor thing which was set on fire before launched into the water-he fell out the car when he got home.we had her fixed up and found her a home

stacey

I am finishing up in this one-MY brother in savannah has now rescued 5 dogs off the hwy this one yesterday on his way home from work-the poor girl was hit by a car she limps but seems ok is beyond starved she will be ok with them going they are taking her to the vet this morning-they only make 50K a year combined they manage RESCUES: Frances found during the hurricaine dirty wandering very starved – Bailey whom was fixed to young and now need hormones so she does not pee all over everything she was seen wandering about a month very emaciated when they got her (who by the way they tracked the owners down and they were tired of her "pissin’ all over the house when she felt like it"- hormones make a difference she is better now-then Murphy well he is a young golden whom is darn near perfect but was a mess when they found him ticks with some homeless guy who after my neice stopped to feed outside a Mcd’s asked her to take him Murph likes to cuddle is housebroken but chews a lot like shoes-etc they may not have alot of money but they & the kids well they have love & commitment which is needed more than money in my opinion othewise they (the HUMAN race)would not keep throwing dogs/cats away to shelters what do these people do when there kids screw up? these dogs have alot of land to run on my brother takes them jogging 3-4 days a week when he’s home- he works 24 on 24 offbut the kids & sis in law walk them 2 times a day for excerise they work hard dont have lots but LOVE they got!

Danielle

I wouldn’t call my family rich…or even well-off for the most part. We struggle at times, just like a lot of people. Between 2 households, we have 7 cats and 3 dogs. Ya it gets tough at times. We’ve got one dog who needs eye drops for an auto-immune disease, one cat who needs to be fixed, another cat who is getting pretty old and another cat who needs a second-opinion on a diagnosis made about him. None of this is cheap, and comined it’s even less-so. Our animals dont eat "high quality food" or necessarily play with "high quality toys" (the cats would rather play with small stuff they find around the house most of the time, anyway) but our animals are fed, our dogs are walked and played, our animals are all healthy, licensed and happy. And so are we. And trust me, if an emergency came up, just because we’re on a tight budget most of the time doesn’t mean we couldn’t come up with the money.
    I’ve seen the way that some "rich" people treat their animals and I would bet that most animals would be happier in a house with lower quality food and lots of love than high quality food and the amount of love I’ve seen some animals receive.

sarah

I think that no matter what their will always be people in this world that will put something before their pets needs. Look at Britney Spears being voted the worst animal parent in the world. She definatly has the needs to do what ever for her pets and her children. I also think that a pet is better off with someone that might be "poor" verses running on the streets. I think that it just depends on the person and the situation. I think that if you set your mind to do something you will get it done. Plus most vets will let you make payments on any necessary surgery. Their are always options out there, it is just a matter of wanting it and finding the results!

Danielle

I just want to clarify that I am not saying that "rich" people all treat their animals badly. I’m saying that they can be put in the same situation as us "poor" people. An example that I have witnessed: An much older lady on my street had lost her cat and he showed up at my house. He had been out for days and was covered(and I mean COVERED) in mats. Apparently this happened on a regular basis because she was suffering from Alzheimer’s. I offered to come over regularly and brush the cat and just generally make sure he was ok. She bought him the best of the best food, there were toys all over the house and her daughter told me one day that he gets taken to a private animal clinic here in our city when he needs anything medical. He got the best of the best for everything. But she couldn’t take care of him anymore. How is he better off there? Granted, I know this is kind of an extreme story, but there are many, many stories out there just like this one of cases where an animal is NOT better off with someone "rich"

Deborah

I have been reading up on all the new posts on this topic, and if you notice we all agree with RK when she/he says that it’s those folks that give away or (put down) their pets due to lack of funds. Suebgone made that point about Pedigree dog food…and how it’s "garbage". As true as that is, I would rather see a dog have a home and eat that garbage before I would see that poor animal in the shelter. Bad food isn’t worse than no life. And I have know many a dog to live long and healthy lives on that crap…so…I disagree with you sueb… Milodian01 is making a very good point about getting results…rather than taking "no" for an answer about having trouble w/ vet bills…find a vet that will let you pay the bill slowly/monthly. I did! And my 4 dogs and 2 cats reap the reward…these vets exist! Maxismyboy…your stories BLOW MY MIND…so sad :'( makes me cry!!!!!!! My opinon is such that as long as a dog has a warm bed, food, drink, love and vet care…should an issue arise…it’s fine to not be rich. A dog in a all the above AND have riches…well…then…lucky dog! Does it make a difference? For sure NOT for the dog…

claire

Well suebegone, Firstly I never said that I had my vet fees paid for me, and I would beg, borrow, or steal if I had to help to stop any animal suffering! Love might not be just enough but it is what an animal will remember.
    As for Pedigree, yeah it is big over here, but isn’t PCP big over there? I don’t suppose you feed your pets that? I have had pets all my life, and I must have done something right because I have only ever had to take 1 Staffordshire Bull Terrier to the vets because she had a grass flea in her ear. Unfortunatly I had to have my 17 year old cat put to sleep yesterday as he had fluid in his stomach, and would have ended up suffering. Just so you know I did pay for that myself!, and I am a single parent. I am sorry to hear that you have had to see so many animals suffer in such horrible ways, but as I said above, there are ways and means. We have a saying in London, maybe you have the same over there: "Needs must when the devil drives"

I appreciate your view and am gratefull for the feedback, LOVE might not be enough but, let’s have it right, it’s HUGE!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 236 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.