"poor" people owning dogs

Home Community Dogs "poor" people owning dogs

This topic contains 235 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  addseo1119 8 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 236 total)
  • Author

Linda

Of course if you cannot afford medical care, or find a way to get it then you need someone to help you, even if it means giving the pet to someone you know, love, and trust, but quite often that’s not an option. The basic gist is not to be pointing fingers at anyone specifically. That is not, "cool", as some would say.

And being poor can mean so many things, and it’s important for people with pets with limited resources to realize they may lack funds, but they don’t lack brains, and they do have some skillful knowledge and the pet concerned is putting all of that to the test.

Good luck everyone who loves and shares lives with pets.

Deborah

Wow, I see this thread has been busy…lol…Well, it’s interesting to see how we all share the same opinion, in the end, after reading all the posts. Poor is not poor unless our animals are suffering…THAT ended up being the conlusion…interesting. I wanted to do a couple of shout outs…so I can add my two cents. FIRST AND FOREMOST: annegirl, you are stepping up by trying to be a responsible dog owner. People like you should get a pet! Suebgone, judging suebee when she feeds cheap food… 🙁 … hey, the girl has geriatic dogs. They live a good long loving life. You say the food she feeds has all kinds of additives that you could list, which are bad? Well, suebee has old dogs that are doing well. So, in the end cheap food is not so bad. I feed holistic dog foods to my dogs…let’s HOPE and PRAY that my dogs live as long as hers. rat lover, I understand the point you made about Paris Hilton, however "casting stones" is NEVER a good idea when a point is in the process. It just seems like you THINK you know what is in her heart, like you know her personally…and I’M SO SURE you do not. I agree with your point, tho’…but trashing ANYONE just sucks… Anyhow, I just love how we all feel about our pets…I’m not the richest person on this planet, but still my Flat Coated Retriever, (which most of you folks here already know…), is recovering from a surgery that in the end will run us about $5,000. What we had to give up for this? DON’T ASK! Is it worth it? DEFINATELY!!!!!!

Brianne

i wasnt trashing paris hilton and no i dont know her personally but its a well known fact what i said

Susan

Gonty,
    Thank you for your comments!
    About 5 yrs ago when this site first started up, they needed pictures of animals so I sent some of mine in, if you would like to see them here is where they are:
    Dog Gallery
    Beagle
    Page 1…Snoopy (He was a weekley winner and I still have him.)…15 yrs old now.
    Dog Gallery
    Page 2….Bear…(still have him he will be 10 Jan. 7)
    Dog Gallery
    Husky
    Page 1….Duke (passed last year at 14 yrs old)
    Page 1….right under Dukes picture is Panda (still have her she’s 15 yrs old now)
    Horse Gallery
    Mustang Breed
    Page 1…..Apache (adopted him from Bureau of Land Mangement in 1986..still have him too, will be 22 yrs old soon)
    Quarterhorse Breed
    Page 1
    Banner….had him for 7 yrs and with heavy hearts we had to sell him because husband had to go on disability and we couldn’t afford 3 horses…a little girl in VA wanted him desparately so we sold him to her family)
    Sterling…..right under Banners picture..still have him..he’s 26 yrs old now.

Deborah

Well, suebee, I feel like you have a really positive and loving spirit. There are so many people on this site that ROCK!!! rat lover, I’m sure you, too, are an amazing person, but when you "dish" gossip…it’s LOW. You need to not do that…it changes the perception of you. Your statement, "It’s a well known fact", is just plain laughable. Do you get your facts from rag mags? Or do you know Paris, PERSONALLY…cuz unless you are either family or friend, you cannot have personal information about someone that is not "hear say". So, be careful…cuz your "mean/jelousy" is SHOWING. In life, dont you want to be respected or at the least liked? How can that happen when you rat…or should I say "rag" on someone? PLAY NICE RAT!!! OR SCURRY AWAY…

Rachel

The comment sums up a big point of this discussion – don’t stereotype poor people, rich people, Paris Hilton or any of us. Back to Suebgone’s point – it is not a matter of rich or poor, it is a matter of being able to provide. Rat Lover, it sounds like you do what is needed to provide adequate care for your pet family, so I don’t think any of us would say you shouldn’t have them. But if you had to give them up, would you give them to someone who couldn’t afford to feed them or give them medical care should they need it? I doubt it because you are a loving parent. I believe everyone on this site are good caring pet people so I would think we would all agree that someone who cannot provide the basis necessities AND medical care if needed should not be owning a pet. We arent talking about someone who works hard to take care of their babies, we are talking about people who simply are not able to provide.

Brianne

i’m far from being jealouse of paris hilton. but if i offended anyone i apologize.

Rachel

Apology accepted! I just think that if we shouldn’t make generalizations about "poor" people and their pets, we can’t do the same about rich people! But I will be the first to admit, I wouldn’t mind trading my own wardrobe for Paris’!

Deborah

RK, that is some SERIOUS smart commenting there… 🙂

Deborah

You know rat lover, we already know that you are a good person…I mean, you love your pets and you take good care of them. Your apology was WAAAAY kewl and HUGE for you do. Lots of folks just keep on pressing their negative point…just to "right fight". Not you…and that, quoting Paris, is "hot". Lol… 😉

Anna

Well I have to agree, People should not get pets if they can’t afford it, shots alone can be expensive.

johanne

I think that you’re selling yourself and others short with your comment. I have 2 beautiful Labs and one Chihuahua and 7 cats. All of them are spayed, neutered, fed, love and very happy. They are all on heartworm prevention pills and flea medicine as I live in South Texas and I have to do this. Every time I make the decision to take in a dog or a cat, do I stop and think, if anything really serious happened would I be able to pay for it. My answer is "NO" I don’t. Does that make me an unresponsible owner, I don’t think so.
    They might not eat the Best quality food, but they are healthy and loved, they don’t have the best of toys, but they have a huge yard to run and lots of walks, water to play in ( the beach) and kids to run with them.
    So I honestly with life the way it is these days if you wait to get an animal just because something bad might happen then don’t get one.
    That would be ashame because you would probably miss the good because you’re focusing on what might happen. Go look in the shelters and at Humane society and I’m sure some of the animals waiting for a loving home don’t care if you buy them "the best of toys" or the best of food. They need love, that’s basicaly all they want.

Susan

Quebectorockport I so agree with you, you said it perfectly. I’ve had to pay out vet bills on our dogs, cats and horses…sometimes I have to write a post dated check if I’m in between paydays…my vet is the greatest and tries to give me a break on meds and services…he does this because he knows how much I love them and knows I do my best…..if I see an animal on the side of the road abandoned yea I would pick it up and bring it home…try to find the owner by putting up a flyer on the bullentin board at the grocery store then if I can’t keep it I ‘ll find it a home.
    I don’t turn away hungry eyes either. I live in the country up a dead end road so many times thoughtless people drop them off and end up here.
    I could just picture your dogs running along the beach loving every minute of it..like you said they dont’ care if they don’t get the best food as long as they get something to eat and by giving your heart full of love to your pets thats what makes them the balanced loving dogs they become.

Deborah

There are so many animals that need a good and loving home, nomes like all of ours here, and isn’t that above and BEYOND the lifestyle of a shelter? I really agree with anyone that has a house…and love in their hearts, to make it a home and add a pet. Take the pet OFF THE STREETS/SHELTERS and give him/her a second chance in life. What I do NOT agee with are those that get pets and not commit to them. These people add to the hell that the shelter pet has to endure…and this is what we here, at this site, judge. I think we all agree that a loving and caring home…that thinks to postdate their checks at the vet…is not considered a neglectful home.

Alicia

I did not read everyone else’s replies so forgive me if I repeat someone

the happiest dogs are those that live freely and those that live amoungst the homeless (read the dog whisperer’s book to find out why) Dogs get expensive health problems due to improper breeding and exercise.

Your dog does not care if it has an expensive squeaker toy or if it’s food is organic.

But pertaining to what you are asking, dogs do not actively fear death, they live in the moment and aren’t afraid of what’s coming next. If a dog is dieing and it’s going to cost that much to save it the quality of life afterwards would be pretty sad.

I would say go ahead with getting a dog, regardless of financial situation, as long as you can keep food in the belly the dog will be happy just to have you.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 236 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.