EMERGENCY-Please HELP!

Home Community People & Their Pets EMERGENCY-Please HELP!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  lauren 17 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Lauren

Okay, I have two dogs. A 6 month old Yorkie, Dixie, and a 3 month old Silky Terrier/Yorkie cross, Lucy. They are both soooo sweet, and they love to play, and are extremely loving toward our family, but we have one problem w/ Lucy. (Dixie has no problem w/ this at all). When either I, or my sister are holding Lucy, and someone tries to touch us, or her, she’ll growl, and even snap. She’s just a baby, and I’ve never seen anything like this before….I’m a big fan of Ceasar Millans work, and I’ve seen this before on the show, but with older dogs….I need HELP because we are going out of town to visit relatives, and we’re bringing both the dogs with us. I have no worries about Dixie, but I’m afraid Lucy might bite someone….I was holding Lucy today, and a little girl from Church tried to pet her, and Lucy growled. Later, another girl from Church picked her up, and she not only growled, but bit at her face! It’s getting bad. Finally tonight, a friend of ours was over, and she was holding Lucy, and she was licking her all over, and being so sweet, and suddenly she started growling at her! I have no clue what’s wrong! She’s never done this to anyone in the family! I really need help before we go out of town, because I don’t want her to bite anyone!!! Please reply if you have any info! You can also email me at blacktexasroses@yahoo.com. Thanks so much, -Dixies_Mom p.s. I’m willing to do anything. I love Lucy, and want her to be okay. Thanks…..

alacia

You need to firmly tell Lucy no. When she does that can you grab her mouth and hold it closed for a few seconds? If you are worried she may bite somone, you might want to leave her home. She is being protective of you it sounds. Is she like that when you arent holding her?

Lauren

Thanks for replying. I’ve been telling her no, and I hope it’s helping. A little boy came over yesterday (my brother’s friend) and played with her no problem…could it just be other girls/women? I’d leave her here, but 1st of all we’re going to be gone a whole week, and second of all I’d be afraid to have someone come feed her and have her bite them! Besides, she’s just a baby and we’ve never left her home alone before. We take her to the store w/ us and everything….she only just has begun this behavior, and it really worries me. If it gets worse, we may not be able to bring her into public at all! It’s really heartbreaking to think about what may happen if I don’t stop it now…the only thing is. She only does it when people are here, and we’re usually home alone….should I invite someone over just for that purpose??? (Training)? Thanks again, and if anyone else has any advice, it’s greatly appreciated.

Lauren

Sorry, didn’t answer one of the questions, yes she does it even if I’m not holding her. A friend of ours was over, and she was holding Lucy, and she was licking her all over, and being so sweet, and suddenly she started growling at her! (that was the 1st time she’d done it out of our hands)

Sue

Before looking into training..

Have her checked thoroughly by a vet. She could be in pain and reacting as such. Rule out that and then look into training.

What part of TN? We are in the Nashville area and could recommend a few vets.

lauren

We are also close to Nashville, but closer to franklin. We live in College Grove, and we go to the Rock-N-Country vet. We actually took her to Texas w/ us, and she was fine! I think that it must’ve been a fear issue, and she’s over it now. Thanks so much though! Email me at blacktexasroses@yahoo.com I’d love to stay in touch, since we’re so close in distance. Thanks! 🙂

Sue

since you know she is doing this, why are you allowing her around ANYBODY? You are just opening yourself up to a law suit or worse. As someone said get a good nurological evaluation at the vets. You can also get her evaluated by a behaviorist. Is it possible she may have lyme disease? This often produces this type of behavior.

lauren

thanks, but she’s fine. we were at the vets since this happened, and she was fine. she hasn’t done this again, and i think it may have been that the child hurt her, or scared her in some way accidently. she’s been around the same child since, and has been perfectly fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.