my dog loves to go for walks but everytime we go she…

Home Community Senior Dogs my dog loves to go for walks but everytime we go she…

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 19 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Lexy

I have a 8 year old Golden Retriever that loves and I mean loves to go for walks, every time we say the word walk she gets really excited. I live in a neighborhood with about 8 houses on the 3/4th mile rode we live on and EVERY body has at least one dog. most of the dogs are nice and a couple of them I even baby-sit when there owners go on vacations and stuff, but my dog is a really big golden retriever, about 90 pounds and is really sweet but ever time we walk past a neighbors house she goes nuts if there dog is outside she starts pulling and barking cause she wasn?t to go by it. I am only 13 so I?m not that strong and sometimes if she wants to go enough she can pull me over, none of the dogs on my rode are on chains or in cages because we all live on a rode away from town and our dogs stay in there own yards, and most are nice except one (a wiener dog) which I have been bitten by twice (unfortunately he is our next door neighbor), but he always stays in his own yard. When my dog goes over there she isn?t going to cause harm just to say hi, I just don?t want her going up into there yard. My question is, how can I control my dog and get her not to care about the other dogs when we are walking and make her not pull, I bought her a no pull harness and just bought her a harness that gives the owners more control over the dogs but she is still a very strong dog. She is very smart and knows when she comes back to me that she did wrong. How can I train her not to pull? P.S please don?t tell me to get her a trainer or obedience schools or ?have an adult take her?. I need advise of how I can control her and teach her not to do it. It isn?t out of meanness that she does it she is always very curious about everything and needs to learn to calm down

Karen

This may help – she just needs better keash manners and learn tolerance. However, most formal training classes do not teach tolerance and how to manage leash lunging in a humane way that actually trains as opposed to fighting undesired behaviors. I teach tolerance building in classes very successfully IF the humans to their job and train. The trick is: do not let your dog get to the point where she is pulling before you start to back her off. This is one way I teach basic loose leash walking: http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/Care/Dogs/003/27.htm Try teaching attention work http://www.westwinddogtraining.com/FAQ_s/Questions/Answers__1_/answers__1_.html#attention Lastly, think of the pulling as a door threshold being crossed. When your dog is showing interest in the thing she will lunge after, you now need to stop and refocus her back on you. If you have to try and do this more than two times, you are too close and need to back her off fo the thing she will go after. If she has begunb to lunge, that threshold has been crossed and you are no longer training but fighting against a behavior in progress, the way most manage this can make issues worse one was or another. So, you need to watch her. When she shows interest but is not pulling, stop, refocus her back to you and when she is paying full attention to you, step closer to the thing – focus her on you and continue. End the session wither her totally focused on you, turn around and walk home. While working training sessions, try to avoind passing this are as she is not ready for that level of stimulation yet. But do go near for training purposes and teaching good manners. As long as she is controlled, you can go closer, if she gets out of hand, you have allowed her to fail and have no right to punish her – you need to lower her stress level and get her back to success. As you work on these lessons, the dog should be able to get closer and closer and eventaully walk past and have her focus on you. My daughter just woke up, let me know if this makes sense at all – typing very fast!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.