My kitten won’t stop eating

Home Community Cat Food & Feeding My kitten won’t stop eating

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Frances 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Kalie

I recently adopted a young male kitten from our local vet and have noticed that he will not stop eating. We have a two year old female cat that grazes, so her food is always out. He would eat his food (1/2 cup divided into 3 servings) and then go and eat the other food. We put the 2 year old cat’s food up high on the ironing board so he couldn’t get to it, and that only worked for about 2 weeks until he figured out how to jump up there. Now he is over eating and I can’t get my older cat to schedule feed. His belly looks like it’s going to burst and gets so big he can barely walk around… What’s wrong with him? help!

Frances

Have the new cat checked for:
    Diabetes (extremely common in cats, they tested human insulin treatment on cats).
    Hyperthyroid disease (over-active thyroid gland)
    Cancer
    These are the most common causes of an uncontrollable appetite. All of them are regular cat health problems.
    Blood tests for the specific condition will determine if that’s the problem.
    To separate the eating areas, I suggest a large-ish, sturdy cardboard box just big enough for the 2-year-old cat & its dish to fit into. Cut a hole just big enough for your 2-yr-old, and some 3" square holes along the top of the box for interior light. This way, New Cat won’t be able to get into the Old Cat’s feeding box, as there won’t be room, and Old Cat will be able to finish in peace.
    And I recommend that you break 2-year-old of the grazing habit and teach her to eat in one sitting. Even if she has to go hungry a couple of times. So take her food away when she isn’t at the dish and set up a definite schedule for her to learn. She’ll adapt.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.