Re: adopting from shelters/rescueing

Home Community Pet Adoption adopting from shelters/rescueing Re: adopting from shelters/rescueing

Barbara

As someone who works with rescue and has purchased a dog from a breeder I can tell you that the rescue dogs I have adopted were a steal compared to getting one from a breeder not to mention that if I were to get the same breed(s) from a breeder the purchase price for the ones I work with would far exceed the adoption fee I paid. The one breed (they are purebred) I work with primarily usually has an adoption fee from $250-400 depending on the age but if I were to get that same breed from a breeder it would be $400-1,500. After that I would have to pay for spay/neuter, well puppy/dog check, heartworm & lymes tests and all the shots and on and on and on…
When a dog that I have fostered gets adopted I am available to answer any questions and I know that dog’s personality inside and out. I recently heard from an adopter of one of my fosters who was having some housebreaking issues but was letting the dog get by with the behavior out of sympathy (retired mill dog). They had had the dog for almost a year. I was able to tell him that she did not do that at my house and that she was playing him like a fiddle! I told him how I handled her and let him know that I would always be available for anything I could help with.