adopting from shelters/rescueing

Home Community Pet Adoption adopting from shelters/rescueing

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Barbara 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

suzanne

I would love to adopt a cat from an animal shelter so it wouldn’t have to be put to sleep, but it’s so expensive! they make it almost impossible. i would rather my vet gave the shots and nuetering. that way i can get billed instead of using cash. i want to save ones life.

Catherine

it can be expensive to adopt last year when i adopted my dog the fee was 100 dollars but look at it this way the shelter has taken care of that animl so you will be getting a healthy animal who will not need anything medical for at least a year (hopefully) that money you give the shelter will go towards saving another animals life getting another animal off the streets and into a home. the shelters are just looking out for the the animals well being

Dale

I don’t think most people realize what a good deal they are getting from most shelters. Our Humane Society charges about $100 for a dog and less for a cat. That includes spay / neuter, heart worm check, microchip, feline aids test.. If you were to take a dog or cat to a vet’s office close to where I live you would easily spend at least three times that to have the same things done. And the best part is they are not only healthy, but there is no chance they can reproduce and be part of the problem of pet overpopulation.
    I would suggest checking petfinders and see if there are any shelters close to you that offer lower adoption fees. I adopted my last kitty from a shelter that is in the city next to where I live. It’s actually closer to get to than the shelters in my own city and they charge very low adoption fees. Here’s a photo of my Sunshine. She shares her house with 8 dogs and they live in harmony.
    Good luck!

Frances

Really, when you figure in all the shots, neutering, & exams that need to be done, the shelters only charge about half of what your vet would charge you if you came there & had all of it done with a new pet.
    You should take the new cat to your vet for a checkup, to confirm that it’s alright, and I also strongly recommend that the cat be tested again for Feline Leukemia Virus, as the shelters often use the cheaper test which has more false negatives. The more expensive test is worth the money to be sure of the cat’s status.
    Things like this is why credit cards were invented.
    And when you go, ask to see Death Row. Those cats are due for euthenasia in a few days. That way you can really save a life.

kay

Is there a "no kill" rescue shelter in your area? We adopted an older cat from such a place. He had all his shots and exams and we paid a donation (which is tax deductible) of $68.00. Although he is older, he is so happy to be in our home and is a great joy. It’s sad most people overlook the "mature" cats as they tend to live out the rest of their lives in these shelters.

Kelly

I am really glad to hear that you adopted your pet from a shelter and didn’t think of it as an expense.
    If you were to get an animal from a breeder or a pet store you would pay a whole lot of money and more, although there never 100% healthy from breeders or pet stores.
    I have adopted from a pet store thankfully I was graced by our Guinea Pig, and also we adopted a rabbit from a total stranger…
    We are now adopting a rabbit from our rescue shelter.
    There just as nice as dogs and cats. Smart too.
    Thank you to all of those who think adoption or rescue is the option.
    It puts smiles on lots of faces.
    by the way I adopted my rabbit spayed for $25 bucks.
    can’t go wrong and she is sweet as the dickens.

Barbara

As someone who works with rescue and has purchased a dog from a breeder I can tell you that the rescue dogs I have adopted were a steal compared to getting one from a breeder not to mention that if I were to get the same breed(s) from a breeder the purchase price for the ones I work with would far exceed the adoption fee I paid. The one breed (they are purebred) I work with primarily usually has an adoption fee from $250-400 depending on the age but if I were to get that same breed from a breeder it would be $400-1,500. After that I would have to pay for spay/neuter, well puppy/dog check, heartworm & lymes tests and all the shots and on and on and on…
    When a dog that I have fostered gets adopted I am available to answer any questions and I know that dog’s personality inside and out. I recently heard from an adopter of one of my fosters who was having some housebreaking issues but was letting the dog get by with the behavior out of sympathy (retired mill dog). They had had the dog for almost a year. I was able to tell him that she did not do that at my house and that she was playing him like a fiddle! I told him how I handled her and let him know that I would always be available for anything I could help with.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.