I have 2 allergy questions…

Home Community Rabbits I have 2 allergy questions…

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jen 15 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Lynnette

Hi, I was wondering if anyone with rabbits has developed any little red bumps that look like "pimples" on their neck. For about a year, I’ve been getting a few spots on my neck and now realized it could be an allergy from my rabbits fur.
    Also, my husband is allergic to rabbits or their litter box, and has asthma from it. Has anyone seen an Allergist and had any success with allergy shots for rabbit allergies? He’s tried Antihistamine tablets (Claritin), but doesn’t seem to help.

Jen

Hi Alexa,
    I have terrible allergies and asthma, which is often triggered by my allergies. I’ve been tested and am allergic to almost everything, pollen, ragweed, dogs and cats being my worst. I just started immunotherapy (allergy shots), so I can’t say how well they work yet. It could take 3-5 years before I know the full effect it will have on me.
    Currently, I take a combo of Alavert (over the counter) and Flonase (prescription) for the allergies, and am on Advair 500 for the asthma. It doesn’t go away, but it’s definitely helped me control the conditions. It may not work for everyone.
    My suggestion is to find out if it’s the rabbits he’s allergic to, or the hay. If it’s the hay, you may be able to move the litter somewhere else in the house. If it’s the rabbits themselves, you’re S.O.L. because the hair/dander gets all over the place.
    He should definitely see an allergist and have the testing done so he knows exactly what it is he’s allergic to. It may not be anything in your house. The pollen has been God-awful this year, and ragweed (late summer to first frost) season has been at its all-time worst, at least here on the East Coast. And the pollen gets on EVERYTHING.
    As for your red bumps, not sure what that could be….contact dermatitis, maybe? See if it goes away with some hydrocortisone or Benadryl. You may want to see either a dermatologist and/or allergist yourself.
    I can say, though, that I have lived with both dogs and rabbits (I have 4 now), and I seem to build up an immunity to them on my own after a while.
    I hope this helps. Good luck!
    BunnyMom

Lynnette

Bunny Mom, thank you so much for the allergy advice. My husband does need to see an allergist. I was curious on how the allergy shots worked, so he will have to try that. I think he’s allergic to the dander, hay and litter box! Thanks again. Alexa

Jen

Hi Alexa,
    Just wanted to find out how your husband made out with the allergist. Any news? You can PM me if you want….
    BunnyMom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.