how old is too old? and also is this possible?

Home Community Rabbits how old is too old? and also is this possible?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Alice 15 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Alice

When are rabbits too old to breed, and still be healthy? And also is it possible to breed a black rabbit with red eyes?

Jen

Couple of questions:
    1l. Are you a certified breeder?
    2. If you are not, and this is just a hobby for you, please stop breeding rabbits. There are far too many in shelters as it is that get killed every day. Check petfinder.org and you’ll see how many there are up for adoption. You’re just adding to the population.
    There was a breeder/hoarder in Egg Harbor, NJ, not far from where I live that started out for the old man as a ‘pet project’. (I won’t even get started on my issues with pets being ‘projects’.) The SPCA was watching him for years, when after 10 years they finally stepped in after he had 57 rabbits living in deplorable conditions. He loved them, and said he didn’t want it to get out of hand, but it did. A friend of mine who is a rescue agency got them from the SPCA before they were put to sleep.
    I am not saying that you will end up like this, but my friend is STILL trying to find homes for these rabbits, and the litters that were born to many of the females.
    I hope you rethink breeding and get all of your rabbits spayed and neutered.

Alice

Thank you for your concern, but I know the people I sell rabbits to and They all go to good homes.

Catherine

from what i have read you should not breed a rabbit after 4 or 5 yrs of age

SJ

Hi, I dont want this to turn into an argument or anything but would just like to try and explain the other persons post about not breeding rabbits.
    Think of it this way, your rabbits are going to wonderful homes, homes you are setting them up for, they will live long happy lives… But what about those who have had a rough start, who end up in rescue shelters, with no owners…
    If you have the room and time to breed rabbits then why not set up a small rescue, you could rehome some rabbits to these wonderful homes you usualy send your babies to… And alot of rabbits from horders come in pregnant anyway, so you will still have babies running around. I know its not the same as breeding them yourself but it could be so much more rewarding.
    Just something to think about for all the breeders out there.
    Thanks for reading.

Manderz

just something i’d like to add on to the person who last posted. most rabbits from shelters are very sweet because they are handled offten. i got to 5 month old bunnies from the shelter and they were already able to be picked up and loved on. if you dont like the idea i suggest checking out the nearest animal shelter that has rabbits. once you see them and get to know how sweet most of them are you might change your mind, if not, then you know already what you want to do and theres nothing that will change your mind if that doesnt work.

Alice

Thanks, I don’t know if the shelters around here have many rabbits, but I’ll look into it. Also I know I won’t get too many rabbits because some of them I raise to bring food into the house, others I raise to go to good homes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.