Male or Female?

Home Community Small Pets Male or Female?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Tay 15 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Alice

How do you tell if a hamster is male or femal? I was wanting to get mine a tank buddy, but I don’t wan’t and baby hamsters…too many buddies not so good.

matt

hi, first question i would ask is what breed of hamster is it?

Alice

It’s a teddy bear hamster, don’t know how old it is though. I bought it from the pet store a few months ago…

matt

Syrian hamsters are simple to sex. Just hold the hamster up so that you can see its underneath and if it is a male you will see two obvious and large testicles by the tail. If there are no testicles then obvously its a female.
    Another thing is that you can not keep two syrian hamsters together. They are solitary animals and will fight to the death. They can only usually be housed together up to twelve weeks of age. So do not attempt to put another hamster with the one you all ready have.
    Hope this helps
    Matt

Alice

Thanks, it did help, I’ll just get another tank if I want to get another hamster.

Alice

Is a syrian hamster the same as a teddybear hamster?

Tay

Tedy bear hamsters will love tank mates. You just need to get them at different times, but at the the same tank at the store or they will fight over who’s boss.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.