Need Help Keeping Jesse Out of CAT FOOD!

Home Community Dogs Need Help Keeping Jesse Out of CAT FOOD!

This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lucy 16 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Stephanie

No surprise that dogs like cat food.
    I have 3 very senior cats that free feed throughout the day and have done so all of their lives.
    Jesse, my terrier loves their food—and vice versa really. He will only eat it at night or when I’m away.
    My predicament is WHERE to place the food where it is OUT of REACH to Jesse but my elderly cats can still access it. Little Tigger can barely even hop on the couch anymore, so anything that will require them to jump whatsoever to get to the food won’t work. Would prefer not to spend a fortune or cut holes in doors! 😉
    The cats have their own bedroom where their food, litter, posts and toys are by the way.
    Any ideas?

adriean

I’m stumped. My dogs would ge into the cat food also and I just put the dishes on top of a table and I don’t free feed. My cats were 15 and 16 and they were able to jump up on the chair then to the table, maybe your seniors can do the same thing .

Stephanie

I’m thinking maybe something with some little steps-some too small for Jesse. Jesse likes their food but I know Jesse-if it isn’t EASILY accessible, he won’t bother it.
    I’m trying to feed the cats a little first thing in the morning-seems to help but soon I’ll be gone in mornings.

adriean

If you have a cat perch try putting their food on one of the perches. One of my cats will only eat on the perch. I have a four tier cat perch and I put his food on the perch and take the dish down after he eats. You could do the samething with a dry food dish.

Rachel

ugh…good luck with that. Kiki, Luci, and Leah(my cats) have their own room too, litter, food, water. I had a problem with Sammy and Sherman (my dogs) eating their food, but only for a little while. It appears that the cats defend THEIR room, and the dogs are now scared spitless of the cats and don’t go in there anymore, so my issue solved itself. I really dont know what to tell you. Unless you start shutting the cats in their room at night or when you sleep, but they were there first, so that really wouldnt be fair to them…I dont know! good luck though!

julie

i’ve had to put the cat food in a dish in the bathroom, and one on the back of the couch because our new puppy likes their food too. we’ve blocked off the bathroom so that the cats can get in there but she can’t. one of the cats will only come out as far as the couch when the puppy is running free, so that’s why its on the back of it. good luck and let me know if you succeed, i’d love to find a better solution.

Christee

You might want to try a ramp that’s too narrow for your dog to run up. That way they wouldn’t have to jump and the dog wouldn’t be able to get to their food.

s

Hi,
    We had a bloated lab and two hungry cats. We solved the problem by putting a baby gate on its side underneath a kitchen counter without cupboards. (it’s a phone counter) There’s enough room for the cats to get through on the side, to put the bowls in and around the corner, and to keep the lab’s head out. We tried the gate with an opening on top, but our older cat wouldn’t jump in.
    It has worked like a charm! Good luck!

julie

i tried a baby gate, but the problem was that the cats couldn’t get over it, one is extremely overweight, and the other one has medical problems. the size of my dog is right in between. i have a 4 lb siamese and an 18 lb fat calico, and my dog weighs in at a healthy 8 lbs. i get something set up low enough for the cats, and its the right size for the dog too, guess that’s what i get for getting a shih tzu.

julie

if you have any ideas about keeping my dog out of the liter box that would be helpful too. she just loves those "tootsie rolls" i’ve blocked the door so much that i even have trouble getting through but she still does. the baby gate is so tall that the cats can’t through without a step type thing but she still makes it through.

Lucy

If all the other suggestions don’t work, why not install a cat door. You could put it in the door to the cats’ room. If the dog is the same size as the cats and could squeeze through a regular cat flap, you could go high tech and get the kind of door that opens when approached by an animal wearing a small transmitter. Of course, you’d need three transmitters but, the kitty door would open for each individual cat and not for the dog. This also could eliminate litter box raiding, assuming the box is in the cats’ room.

julie

if we were buying or owned our own home i’d probably do the door thing, but i don’t think my landlord would go for it. she was concerned about me having a dog anyway, the only saving grace there was that it was a female dog. she said she has a male dog and has a hard time with him marking things so she didn’t want that in this house. i might have to seriously think about that electronic idea though. thanks!

Lucy

Measure the bedroom door and the size and location of the hinges, then go to Home Depot or some other super building supply store and buy another door, some new door hardware, and some paint. Take off the original door and store it somewhere dry. Paint your new door, put on the new hardware, install the cat door, and hang your new bedroom door. When you move out, simply replace your door with the original. Your landlord shouldn’t have a meltdown, especially if you have a professional do the work. You should be able to get a decent interior door for about $25 or $30.

julie

thanks, i never thought about that.

Lucy

LOL – it’s called experience! Although I now have my own home, with a doggie door that’s big enough to let Godzilla through without much of a strain, I’ve rented enough homes and apartments over the last zillion years to figure out how to get around a landlord’s disapproval. Good luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.