Swollen Soft Pads on Puppy’s Paws

Home Community Dogs Health Swollen Soft Pads on Puppy’s Paws

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Dale 16 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dale

Our rescue just took in a lab puppy that looks to be around 4 months. Coco was left behind in a trailer park that was closed and had been very neglected. She had a swollen leg with a sore on it and her left eye was shut because of the discharge build up. I keep her eye clean and have treated her leg and they are coming along fine. When Coco stands her nails stand almost sraight up because how swollen her pads are. I know she was very malnourish before we got her and she’s improving now that she’s eating a high quality diet. She has no trouble walking or running and she doesn’t appear to be in discomfort. If anyway has any experience or ideas I would appreciate hearing about them.
    Thanks

Click on any picture to see full size:

Mikki

I dont think her pads look swollen. It looks like she has doberman type feet and she stands back on her hocks so her toes flip up. My dog does it sometimes. In dogs who stand like this, you need to be vigilant about trimming their nails. Since the nails rarely touch the ground, they don’t get worn down and can get extremely long.

Dale

Thanks for you response. I don’t think it’s easy to see in the photo to see the pads on her paws. But when I hold her leg up and look the bottom part of her pad (the largest part) is definitely swollen looking (about 3 times normal size) and is very soft. Anyway she’ll be going to the vet this week and we’ll have her checked out.

Dale

The vet said Coco’s tendons have not properly grown either because of a birth defect or from malnutrition. He said surgery can be performed by it doesn’t always help and is hard on the dog. And she’ll be at a greater risk of arthritis. But there is a happy ending; she was adopted by a wonderful family who just lost their lab. They told me the second they saw her photo they knew she needed them and they needed her. It’s what makes rescuing dogs so rewarding.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.