New Hamster Mothers

Home Community Small Pets New Hamster Mothers

This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Nicole 16 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Nicole

i have a new hamster mother that had 5 pups this is her first time doin everything…..she has moved her newborns (now 5 days old) in her wheel…today she tired to run in her wheel with her babies in it…what am i suppose to do???
    help any advice will do..

Rebecca

I know you aren’t meant to go near baby hamsters but in this case i think you may have to. I would rub your hands in the cage of the hamster as far away from the babies as possible so you smell of mum, and then gently take away the wheel, tipping the babies onto the cage floor, but do it very gently! The mum will probably re-arrange the nest as necessary.

Nicole

thanks a bunch for the advice but i did remove the wheel from the cage for a day and she moved the babies to a new place and today i put the wheel back and she is fine the babies stayed in the same place and she was running…..another question is is ok to put the father back in the cage after the babies are a week old

Rebecca

If you mean with the mum and babies then no, not really because mum will get pregnant again, and so give birth only after weaning her first lot, and the babies may get pregnant too if you don’t seperate them soon enough.

Nicole

ok well i want the mom to get preggers again but i dont want the father to eat the babies…i was just going to wait untill the babies open their eyes

Rebecca

That is way too soon in my opinion, she will be forever pregnant, so maybe give her a few weeks break after weaning the babies, or as long as you can really the longer the better. And the dad may hurt the babies too, especially at an older age when he sees the boys as a threat.

Nicole

thanks a bunch

Nicole

now their eyes are open would it be ok to place father back in?

Rebecca

Like i said before it is practically breeding back to back, it isn’t nice. In human terms it is like being pregnant 2 months after giving birth so please do leave it longer if you decide you will breed her again. Do you have plans for the current babies by the way? What kind of hamsters are these?

Nicole

they are dwarf hamsters and they are about 1 week old and there are 5 of them, y do u know of a good place to take them…i have been taking them to the flea market

Rebecca

No i don’t sorry, just wondering how well planned your breeding is, are you doing it for money?

Nicole

yes, i sort of do it for a little business on the side.

jessica

take the baby out and block off the wheel and yes u can touch the babys!

Nicole

thanks a bunch for all the help but the babies are now eatting solids and have there little eyes open thanks everyone…if anyone in the nc area would like any please let me know

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.