Going blind.

Home Community Dogs Health Going blind.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Melanie 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Melanie

My 9y/o shih tzu Tazz is going blind I’m afraid. He is a diabetic. We have not gone to vet yet but talked to them today. (I’m out of town and sick with food poisoning but he will go first thing next week.) Last yearly visit vet said he had begining signs of glaucoma. He has huge outset eyes. Usually he is a loner. He gets loving when he wants it, otherwise he likes to lay by himself. Now he wants to follow me everywhere and is up under my desk and between my legs. Sleeps with the rest of us now too. Noticed him walking into the gait a couple of times when I would open it, like he can’t figure out where the opening is. My mom has a dark wood door, I opened it to let him out and he kept staring at the middle of the door walking back and forth. I attributed that to him looking for doggy door which he is accustomed too. He went out the back door which has a porch about 8 inches high. His legs buckled. I used to think this was when his sugar was low (he was not feeling good this day) but now I’m wondering if he just did not see the step! Last night I noticed his pupils looked very cloudy. I am very observant with my dogs and am amazed that this has happend so fast, like within the last month. Just wonder if any of you have gone through this and have any tips for what I might look forward too. I work at home so he will definitely be nearby. I believe we will adapt fine, just hate it for him. If it’s cataracts we might do something about it but otherwise we will deal. He’s a sweet heart. TIA

Sue

I’ve never had any go blind but have adopted at least 6 that were already blind. First you need to be sure he is not in any pain. You never move the furniture or food bowls. If you have any open stairways you will need to gate them. Since he now needs to be close to you, let him. That may deminish with time, but for now you have a velcro dog. he is the same dog, he just needs a little extra help. Keep his normal schedule. Always on a leash when outside. You’ll be fine.

Mikki

If he has glaucoma, it’s extremely painful, you need to get him to a vet. If his blindness is due to cataracts from the diabetes then pain is not an issue.

Melanie

Well UPDATE! We have mature cataracts which will require surgery at a little over $2,500 for both. Ouch.. Might need some financial aid for that one! We are assuming that the diabetes has exacerbated this condition. Vet said the other day he felt he was getting senile and probably has hearing loss, which I disagreed with. He still has acutely keen hearing and the disorientation is coming from not knowing where the heck he’s headed! It is sad but has been hilarious at the same time. Don’t attack me, I just mean the little things he will do. He is feeling great since we finally have the diabetes under control and walks around with his tail high in the air wagging…as he walkes right into the wall! Today I heard him scratching and when to hunt him, he had gone in to get some water and when coming back out he walked behind the door and was just standing there between the wall and the door. It is definitely worse when he comes in from the outdoors during the daytime. He still sees shadows and the light causes too much blur. It is pretty dark in my house so he gets around good. I sometimes feed them treats by hand like a hot dog or something and when handing the other dogs a piece, he nips at my other fingers thinking I’m handing him something. Anything in front of his face is considered food! He was on floor the other day in front of couch and Peke was on couch and leaned down to sniff of him, she gives him "sugar" all the time. He nipped at her chin… FOOD!

Melanie

By the way…VELCRO DOG…I love it. That was the perfect description. Described him to a tee. Such a big baby. I transcribe for a living and that is difficult to do with his head on the pedal or on my foot. See attached picture. I refer to him as my velcro dog now! That or…I’ve go to take Ray Charles for a walk! Love this little man to death.

Click on any picture to see full size:

n

what a cutie. i have had two dogs that went blind. one a westie went completely blind and could not get oriented. he became very mean and really disoriented. we had him put to sleep. the second dog a lab/springer mix went blind in one eye it literally happened in a week. she walked into a cactus one day, we took her to the vet they did surjury but i cant remember i think it was glaucoma that set in. there was nothing they could do and she went blind. that all happened when she was 6 mos old she lived to 13 when i had to put her to sleep because of cancer. i still miss her. anyway i also have an aunt that had a blind dog who was also diabetic (caused the blindness) he lived for 5 years after going blind. your dog may become a little mean or meaner because it wont know what or who is in front of him. warn any and all people who come around him to be careful cause he may bite them. make sure you are always talking to him if he i s in the room with you. DO NOT MOVE his water and food bowls. try not to move or add anything new furniture wise. dogs are like people who become blind they learn where everything is and remember. he may have a few mishaps now and then. and you will have to make more effort to watch him especially outside. watch for when he needs to go outside and watch him while he is outside. he will probably latch onto one person (sounds like you) and most likely will not be very comfortable around anyone else. just be gentle with him and have a lot of patience.

Melanie

Thanks a bunch. It is just my husband and I and he works out of town a lot. Comes home tomorrow and after spending some time with him he will be wanting to push surgery ahead. There are no kids and we have a fenced in yard, I do worry about the shrubbery though. We also do not do company a lot so that’s safe as well. It will be interesting to see if his attitude changes any though. He is just a very happy go lucky fella. The others always nip at him trying to say we’re the boss and he takes it untill he gets tired of it and then he straightens out and lets them know who’s the boss. Say a prayer we go tomorrow to try to change over to NPH insulin from the Vetsulin which will definitely save money for surgery!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.