Food

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Katelyn 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

SJ

Over the past few years how, what and when owners feed their dogs has become widely debated, not just with everyone having their own opioions but with many learning for themselves what their dog should be eating so they can make their dogs food at home. I was just wondering where everyone stood on this, not just with brands or ingredients but with tinned or dry, fresh or frozen ect.

SJ

I thought Id start myself. I currently have a nearly 3 year old staffy cross who has put on a little too much weigh (maily from shorter walks over winter), so now were both dropping a few pounds. He had parvo as a puppy as barely survived which we think has effected his digestion as he is greatly effected by little changes. He also sufferes from allergies so gets his dry food dampend down by water. He gets fed 1 cup of pedigree dry food (usualy for medium to large dogs but is currently on light for medium) and half a tin of predigrees new tinned food better by nature at about 9am and 6pm. He generaly has snacks and rawhide bones during the day as well.

Sue

not quite sure what you want here but here is my 2c worth. Pedigree is real garbage. Here is your lite
    CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, GROUND YELLOW CORN, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, CARAMEL COLOR, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, METHYL ESTER OF VEGETABLE OIL FATTY ACID, VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), VITAMINS (DL-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], CHOLINE CHLORIDE, L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A ACETATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN, D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE), BHA/BHT (A PRESERVATIVE).
    No wonder he has allergies, CORN & soy – all sorts of artificial flavors & dyes. There is NO meat in this food! By-products!
    I feed California Natural, including their bisquits.
    Here is the reduced calorie
    Brown Rice
    Chicken Meal
    Chicken meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts of whole carcasses of chicken — exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, or entrails.

Chicken meal is considered to be the single best source of protein in commercial pet foods. Natura uses high-quality, low ash chicken meal extensively. This ingredient is very digestible, very palatable, and very expensive.

Rice
    Rice, unless listed as brown rice, is the de-hulled rice kernel, without the bran — known as white rice.

Rice, in its whole form, is a high quality source of carbohydrates, protein and fiber. This is in contrast to fractionated grain ingredients used by some manufacturers such as rice polishings, rice bran, or brewers rice which have been leeched of much of their nutrient value.

Natura uses whole rice, which is the most easily digested grain and the least likely to cause allergic reactions. It is an antidiarrheal and helps lower cholesterol. Natura also uses brown rice, which is the same plant with the bran intact.

Chicken Fat
    Chicken fat is obtained from the tissues of chickens in the commercial process of rendering or extracting.

Chicken fat is the highest of all animal sources in linoleic acid (over 23%), an important element for skin and coat health. Because Natura uses such high-quality chicken, this is a high-quality source of fat.

Flaxseed
    Flaxseed is the whole seed of the flax plant.

What makes flaxseed so outstanding is its mix in both soluble and insoluble fiber. Together these fibers aid in digestion and help to prevent constipation, thereby offering protection against cancer. Flaxseed is also an excellent source of Omega 6 and Omega 3 essential fatty acids. These fatty acids help produce the soft, luxuriant coat on your pet for which Natura is known. The richest source of alpha-linoleic acid is found in flaxseed.

Sunflower Oil
    Sunflower oil is obtained by extracting oil from sunflower seeds.

Sunflower oil has a high concentration of linoleic acid (73%), which is important for good skin and coat health. Natura uses sunflower oil that has been cold-pressed and protected from exposure to heat and light. This very high quality, very palatable fat is used in California Natural and Innova formulations.

Natural Flavors
    Natural flavors are minimally processed flavor ingredients that do not contain synthetic or artificial components.

In the Natura products that include "natural flavor" in the formula, the exact composition is proprietary. However, the ingredient does comply with the FDA CFR which regulates this definition, and is always made from the same animal species on which the formula is based. For example, the "natural flavor" used in the original EVO formula contains a reduction of chicken meat – much the same process as is employed to create a chicken stock in your home kitchen.

Potassium Chloride
    A chemical compound, KCl, a colorless or white, cubic, crystalline compound that closely resembles common salt (sodium chloride). It is soluble in water, alcohol, and alkalies.

Potassium plays various roles in metabolism and body functions. It assists in the regulation of the acid-base balance and water balance in the blood and the body tissue. It assists in protein synthesis from amino acids and in carbohydrate metabolism.

Calcium Carbonate
    Calcium carbonate is a mineral that is true to its name by containing a minimum of 38% calcium.

The calcium in bone provides structural integrity to the skeleton and also contributes to the maintenance of proper blood calcium levels through ongoing resorption and deposition. Circulating calcium has essential roles in nerve impulse transmission, muscle contraction, blood coagulation, the activation of certain enzyme systems, the maintenance of normal cell-membrane permeability and transport, and cardiac function.

Vitamins/Minerals

Katelyn

I feed my dog Canidae because it has all natural ingredients and no by-products. It is not rendered and it is healthy. I don’t have the bag next to me so I don’t know the ingredients. Sorry.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.