Training

Home Community Horses & Riding Training

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  EquineDreamer89 19 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

PoloxChick

So, do y’all train your own horses? or do you send them to a trainer? Personally, I train myself. I dont think i could ever fully trust someone with my horse(riding, training, etc.) for that long. I love the feeling when I know my horse has done well. What about y’all?

I probably would too!!!

Well, I don’t have a horse and even if I did have a horse, I would probably have a horse around 10 years old. I just don’t think I’m experienced enough to actually train a horse!

How old are you?

Where did she go?

I ride Parelli natural horse man ship style its sort of a mix of both but it teach’s you to understand horse body languge and how to use that body languge to train them so they understand you its really good cause I trained my pony in it and now i can ride her bareback with nothing at all on her ( including bridle and halter) what country are you from ?

Cool, more people from Australia!!!! I live in such a boring country… Australia seems so cool. What style riding do you do?

USA

I don’t mean to be mean or give you a bad impression, but I disagree. As long as you are a good rider(experienced) then you can ride with just a halter and lead rope. Riding without a halter and lead rope does seem risky, but if you know and trust your horse, there doesn’t seem to be a problem.

Tracy

I’ve owned, bred and shown horses for 20+ years and still wouldn’t train my own by myself. I have found that if you get a really good trainer that can train and then show you how they do what they do then it works out best. That way you aren’t just "turn out with rider" when your trainer isn’t around. You can actually fix things by yourself then. I can’t "create" the response I want but I can ask for it once the horse knows what the cue means since the trainer taught the horse the cue. Also, you should Never ride a horse without a bit and bridle. It’s just not safe. Even with a nice, quiet dead broke horse. What happens if it’s stung by a bee? It happened to me and one of my friends a few weeks later. I was fine but my friend broke her leg! Tracy

But don’t you ever just want to hop on your horse bareback? Personally, I would rather be wtihout than with a saddle, jsut like way back when, chasing the buffalo…… I am always lookin forward to the next bareback ride. But everyone has their own opinions and styles, so please don’t think Im some evil little bratty kid, cause I’m not…. I’m just an Equine obsessed maniac ( and I mean OBSESSED!!!!!!!!!)

Well, I don’t want to cause any bad fights (the horses paddock has had a few of those) or bad vibes, and I don’t want anyone to hate me, so I’ll jsut end with the fact that you are right, it is not perfectly safe, but then again, is riding an animal who can think for its self really all that safe?

Tracy

We will definitely have to disagree on that one. Being around horses all my life I know how fast a good, quiet horse can react to something completely unexpected. Just make sure you always wear your helmet and that your parents have insurance for the hospital bills. I’ve seen way too many people taking for granted their horse is going to be just fine. I used to ride with a halter and lead rope when I was a kid but two runaways later and friends with broken bones taught me otherwise. It all comes from age and experience. I also used to not mind jumping on someone else’s half-trained rearing and bucking horse and work them through it. 6 months in a cast cured that too. After you work with horses long enough you figure out how to ride smart and not take things for granted. I’ve shown since I was 10 (now 35) and had several different trainers in all different disciplines including the "new" horse whisperer and natural horsemanship training. Ask any of those guys if it’s safe to ride that way and they’ll all say the same thing – nope. Now there are a few that can do it on the right, extremely well-trained horses but even they don’t advocate the everyday horse person doing it. I personally don’t like Parelli training alot – too many accidents happen with people trying things before the horse is that well trained. Just be careful out there! Tracy

Definitely!!! Arianna, do you have a nickname that I could call you? Everyone kinda adopts the nickname Chels for me, but what can I call you besides Arianna? I feel like I’m being to formal when I say that.

I train my own horses. For one, I’d miss my horse. Two, there’s a certain feeling of pride, plus, it helps me get to know my own horse. Three, I have my own training methods (abstract Natural Horsemanship) and it’s hard to find a trainer that uses those methods.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.