Young Horse

Home Community Horses & Riding Young Horse

This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  sarah 18 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

I my opinion, lunging is to repetitive for a horse. I think long-lining is better. Have you heard of Monty Roberts? I think he is a genius. You should buy a book or movie from him. Go to http://www.montyroberts.com .

mckenna

I have a 3 year old mare. The man I got her from had been on her back and put a bit in her mouth. We’ve come a long way, she’s okay with me on her back and basically listens:) I need to figure out how to get her to go the way I want her to, when I want her to. She’s a little stubborn. As far as I know, she’s never been lunged. We tried it, but we don’t have a round pen and she was extremely confused. Any ideas?

mckenna

Yeah, I’ve heard of Monty Roberts. I will check out his site. Thanks!

No Problem. Good Luck!!

Rebellion28

actually lungeing is better it teaches the horse to go foward

Well, this is just my opinion(so no one take it offensively ;)). I think that a horse can become bored from simply running around in circles for forever. It is to repetitive and the only thing it is good for is exercise (if that). ?With long-lining, you are running behind the horse with what seems to be oversized reins. They give the horse a feel of what reins are like, and it learns to steer a lot better from the ground. It also helps out the horse in that the horse ins’t seeing that he is the only one doing any work and you are simply standing around in the middle making him run in circles. Also with long-lining, the horse gets to see what it is like to not really have the rider in plain sight, but somewhat "out of site" or not in main sight range, just like when you are on his back. But, like I said, this is just my opinion. Good Luck!! P.S. Long-lining can also get a horse to move forward, but without a whip. 🙂

How did it go?

Wow!! I have never really heard of teaching them to drive!! Cool!

M.a.t.t

I think long-lining is better for training [my uncle breaks,trains and schools horses] but i think lunging is good for a strong horse that can’t be ridden fresh. long-lining has better results because the horse gets the first step to knowing what it feels like to have the reins and it also gets the horse used to having somone near them without being able to see them [this can scare horses].

Yes, long-lining is very useful, but lunging can have its good points, too.

Mollie

do you ride western or english?if u tell me i may be able to help u out…if you ride western(one hand)and she dosent listen put a little more strenght into it(it will not hurt her..PROMISE) if she still dosent respond hold your reighns with both hands and then try to turn her.when lounging mabey you should just put a whole buch of logs or something she can see around in a almost circle that will help a little untill you can get a ring ;D if u ride english you just have to walk her around in small circles and then get bigger as you go around and then switch the way you are going the walk her around your ring see if she responds good…if she dose try her at a trot and as she improves work your way up…if she dosent respond at a walk stop her and do the circle thing again (do it about 5-10 times)and then start over again… this is used i training sometimes…HOPE THIS HELPS! ps:EVERYBODIE!! there is a really cool horse sim game where you can buy,breed,name,train,show,buy tack,sell horses…everything you do in real life for a horse…you do it thier…they are still making inprovements cause it is only like a month old but it is AWESOME! here is the site expage.com/cinderellasimsfarm

I still prefer longe-lining over lunging (even though I’ve only lunged and never longe-lined ::) )

sonny

well first, before anything i would try to do join up with her, find an area or cut off part of the areana you ride in and do join up, it will teach the horse to accept you as the head person, and even though it won’t cure everything, it will allow the horse to really accept you as the lead person, and when you get on her, she’ll let you lead and direct her. p.s in my opinion, longeing is more of a thing to get all the kinks out(of high horses) and it doesn’t really teach them to turn or anything.

sarah

We lunge and longline both. We start a horse out by teaching them to lunge.. learning to listen to signals and go forward and then add side reins and all that.. eventually moving up to long lining and driving. alot of horses do get tired of going around in a circle all the time but young horses do need to learn the basics first. The horse i have now didnt know how to lunge either when i got her. she is 3 also and very stubborn lol. it takes alot of patience and repitition. Babies are interesting to ride.. they are all over the place lol. she probably just needs alot of ground work and lots of time being ridden to understand what’s expected of her. Long lining would be good for her to learn to listen to ur hands and go where u want her to.. we even long line in a circle sometimes so u dont have to worry about the horse takin off and dragging u up the driveway lol.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.