Young or Old Horse?

Home Community Horses & Riding Young or Old Horse?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Melissa 18 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

GottaTallyHo

;D Would you want a layed back, knows it’s job older horse, say past 12 years old. Or would you want a young yearling, that knows nothing and has to teach everything. 😛 ::) Your pick! ::)

chocolate

:Dwell it depends really on you. If you have loads of time and experience to bring up a young yearling then that would be ok. But if you don’t have so much time then a older horse would be ideal for you because the horse would of already done lots of exercise and not need to ride as much

Shantih

Over the last seven years I have brought on five young or neglected horses all unwanted or abused aging from six months to six years. All are now are in happy homes. It has been a very demanding pastime with many bruises to show for it! I have loved doing it. It has not been easy. They may have been cheap to buy or have been given but the time and money spent on them has been considerable. I must say having a sensible older horse I can just hack out sometimes seems most appealing! Young horses need so much toime understanding and patience!

I couldn’t choose!!! I would love the challenge of young fresh horse, but the loyalness and trust of an older horse.

I would most l,ikely get a horse that has already benn trained for my first. between 7 and 10. I would definitely at some point want a young horse though!

hmmm. i think i would prefer a horse around 8 or 9 years old. as i have never owned a horse before i should probably go for one who has already been broken and will not be too excitable.

I like horsies. ever since my brain transplant a few hours ago i’ve found them delicious with marmalade. and on those rare occasions with caviar – shark eggs.

Is someone else on your user name or something, Megan?

no, I was just bored that day. and maybe a few too many marshmallows…

I like marshmallows!!! (oops, sorry, kinda off topic there)

Melissa

Not to be a downer… but having broken and trained many green horses, it is a very serious committment that you have to be willing to make. Literally blood, sweat and tears goes into it, not to mention a great deal of hours. To properly get a green horse going you will need to work with the horse no fewer than five days a week, and will have to be very consistent. This is a huge task to undertake. On the other hand, when you have an animal that you can attribute all of its sucesses to your hard work, there is no greater feeling. Buying an older horse, or a school master, would be much easier and would allow you to focus more on your riding skills. However, you should be aware of the potential problems that can arise when buying older horses. Issues of soundness because of arthiritis and other conditions are quite common. I think that 10-12 is a great age to buy a horse.. they know their job, and are not too old to limit their ability b/c of age. What you have to do is consider what you are expecting out of this new partnership and make your decision accordingly. Hope it helps!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.