adopting a shelter cat. need advice

Home Community Pet Adoption adopting a shelter cat. need advice

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Fluffmeister 19 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Fluffmeister

Hi , ? ? I’m sorry I can’t give any expert advice on the dandruff flakes , but surely the bright eyes and happy manner are a very good sign . It is so kind hearted of you to adopt ?a rescue kitty – I have one ( Sasha ) who has been the light of my life for 2 yrs and helped me recover from the tragic death of my Persian Zif . It might be a good idea when you adopt him to take him to a vet for a general checkup . Hoping all goes well with your new family member , I’m sure he will make you very happy . ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Raoul , Sasha , Anastasia & their servant . ? ? ? ? ? ??8) ? ? ? ??8) ? ? ? ??8) ? ? ? ??8) ? ? ? ??8) ? ? ? ??8) ? ? ? ??8) ? ? ? ??8) ? ? ? ??

sleepycat

hello. we are going to adopt from a local shelter in a couple of weeks. i have already visited there and found about 3 cats that i would like. my favorite cat there, has some dandruff flakes in his hair. should this concern me? his eyes are bright and he is alert and seems happy. do you think this is a bad sign? or just normal? thanks

Kichwa
    Participant

Hi Sleepycat! Welcome to this wonderful website for cats and their people!!!! ;D As Fluffmeister said, a shelter cat/dog can be a most wonderful addition to any household. I am so happy to hear you say you are visiting the shelter before adopting. Hopefully, you will find it nice and clean and well managed. Most shelters are just filled with lovely, sweet pets awaiting adoption by some kind soul such as you. The dandruff you mentioned in the one kitty’s fur? Could be several things. I am enclosing an article by a vet on this subject for you to read. I believe all shelters require certain immunizations and either spay/neuter prior to adopting out, which is good. I would however, still recommend you take your furbaby to you own vet immediately for a complete checkup. This is extremely important if you already have other pets in your home. Look for a cat who will fit in with your lifestyle! You mentioned this one furbaby had bright eyes and seemed happy. There are as many "different personalities in cats" as their are in humans; so try to choose one that is friendly, comes to you and does not hide in the back of the cage. Again, God bless you for adopting a shelter pet, that is wonderful and the best of luck to you. Please keep us posted on the outcome and send some pics in of your kitty okay? I would love to see your new furbaby. Here is the article I mentioned earlier. Question: I have noticed some flaky dandruff in my cat’s fur? Can I wash it out? – It is probably safe to use any human shampoo on a pet. I think that cream rinses or conditioners do more for dandruff on cats than shampooing, though. A poor haircoat can be a sign of disease. Diabetes, allergies and hyperthyroidism are common causes of dander or oily haircoats in our practice. It may be worth having your vet check your cat if this problem continues. Mike Richards, DVM

Regina

Any reputable shelter will let you view the cats past vet records, you might want to ask if it is something that the cat is already or has in the past been treated for. Both of my girls came form a shelter and they both picked me out rather than me picking them. If they have a "cat room" go stand in the middle of it and pay attention to the ones who come to you first.

bluecatmom

Hi, I see your message about adopting a shelter cat. I hope you get the one you want. In case it dosen’t work out, please consider adopting my cat. I live in Denver and must give up my little cat. Because of allergies she must live outside (she is a tamed alley cat) and I am getting very worried as winter is upon us and she seems to really want to be inside. "shelters" usually will not take a cat that has been feral and even if they do they want a large donation to take any cat. I am on a fixed in come and barely afford her food. The same "shelter" wants more money to adopt out the cat, so they get money coming and going. Please consider my little girl. She comes without a donation fee.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.