What would you do?

Home Community Dog Breeding & Breeds What would you do?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lmj 17 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Elisabeth

This is just a fun, frivilous post. I find studying dog breeds and their characteristics very interesting and have been doing it for years so I can recognize many different breeds and know what they should look like. Sometimes I ask someone what breed their dogs is and they tell me what they think or what their vet told them and I think to myself that they must be crazy, lol. Once, I saw a lady with two dogs who looked much like Eurasiers. I figured they were probably just mixes, but since they looked the most like Eurasiers of any dogs I have seen in real life I thought I’d ask. I did and she said they weren’t; she said that her dogs were Keeshonden. Now I have owned a Keeshond and I know what the breed should look like. They are a particulary distinctive looking dog and I think anyone who has seen many pictures of one could point out one in real life. These dogs did not look like Keeshonden in any way except that they were spitz type dogs. I would believe that they were mixed with Keeshond. Anways, I did not say anything besides "Oh." but I wanted to tell her that she was mistaken and I hoped she did not pay a large amount thinking they were purebred, however I realize it doesn’t really matter in the slightest and I’m sure she loves them no matter what they are. Anways, I was just wondering what you all would say (if anything) to someone who tells you there dog is something that it obviously isn’t.

Elisabeth

And just to show that I’m really not as arrogant as my post might imply; I went home and looked up Eurasiers again (it had been a long time) and I saw that the lady’s dogs did not look as similar to Eurasiers as I first thought.

Vicki

I would probably not say anything about it being the wrong breed, as I foster for a rescue group and you would not believe the ones I get that are suppose to look like a certain breed and when they get here they are not even close. And these people work with dogs every day as it is their job. I know ask for pictures of them before I pull them and I also ask sizes as I got a few that were suppose to be like under ten pounds and they come to me well over twenty pounds. Big difference if you ask me.

Sue

I think you are far to impressed with yourself. You have also just admitted that the dogs didn’t look like the breed you said they did. You should also know that since Eurasiers are extremely rare, it is unlikely you would be seeing mixes of them. You are also wrong about the keeshonden as to the untrained eye it looks very much like the Norweigen Elk Hound. So untill you have gone thru an apprenticeship to be a show judge & truly have acceptable knowledge & experience, I think I’d just stop trying to tell anybody what they have or don’t have.

Elisabeth

Hi Sue,
    I think you are wrong, regarding me being too impressed with myself. Though I will admit my post does lend itself to your interpretation, which I why I posted a second time. I have never actually told someone what they had or didn’t have as I know very well I can be wrong and not have all the information. Its just a fun guessing game. But I didn’t state that in my first post, so I can’t blame you.
    Yes, Norwegian Elkhounds do look very similar, although the coat length seems to me a big difference. If I did not know of one breed or the other I would probably assume one was the long or short haired version of the other. Thanks for bringing that up, that was a good example.
    I admitted that the dogs did not look as similar to an Eurasier as I originally thought, they did still look very similar and I think it is worth it to ask because I like to see rare breeds of dog, I asked a person just the other day about there dog and it was an Ovtcharka (sp?) which I never thought I’d get to see in real life here in Texas.
    Your post seems unessecarily antagonistic to me, but maybe I’m just being too sensitive. Anyway, you did answer my question (you’d go through an apprenticeship befor speaking) so Thank you.

Lmj

Thats cool! I used to look at every picture of all dogs with different breeds. I happen to fall in love with Cane Corso. A good friend of mine has two rodesnian ridgebacks.

I am not a big fan of spitz dogs like eurasiers, greenland dog, Japanese Spitz, vallhund or lapphund.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.