New Carpet……..Is it dangerous for birds?

Home Community Birds New Carpet……..Is it dangerous for birds?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Linda Beaulieu 17 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jill

My husband and I were discussing getting new carpet and we both wondered if the new carpet smell or the stuff that is put on the carpet (Scotch Guard?) is toxic for a bird? The bird wouldn’t be on the carpet, but you know how a new carpet smells?…….Does anyone know or have a suggestion where I could find out if it will harm my lovebird?

I would imagine the chemicals in the Scotch Guard on the carpet would be dangerous. (I have hardwood floors, scatter mats that can be machine washed) I read on a website that even cooking from a teflon coated frypan is not good for pets, or burning candles. I never use bleach around Indigo’s cage, just mild solution of water and vinegar. Maybe someone else has more info and can actually point you to a website with this info.

Linda

I agree with Linda B. I seriously doubt that the new carpet wiill be good for your flock. Toxic in fact.
    That’s why we didn’t paint the bird room. We simply shampooed the carpets, waited a couple days and put boarders that you soak in water up on the waslls and moved the birds in.

Febreeze, air freshners, scented candles, teflon coated pans as major no no’s withany bird.

The use of these could turn your once vibrant happy bird into a corpse.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.