Need advice on Yorkie grooming

Home Community Dog Sports & Showing Need advice on Yorkie grooming

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anna 17 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

PuppyMom

??? I hope somebody out there can help me. I have adopted a little Yorkie and know NOTHING about trimming his ears. Right now, the hair on the back of his ears is long and there is also hair inside the ears. His ears are so heavily overgrown that he can’t hold them upright. Pictures I’ve seen don’t show hair inside, is that correct? Does anyone know how to trim the outside hair to eliminate the weight. Many thanks from Chance and me for any help you can give us.

Karen

The pictures you see in books and on line are often groomed show dogs or have already been pet groomed – and this often entails trimming the hair from ears. Now, where did you get the dog from? If a good and reputable breed, often they are excellent resources for learning how to groom. When my family was really starting out with dog showing back in the 1980’s, we learned grooming techniques from a couple breeders we were associated with. Or, check out this site – great resource for learning more about grooming a Yorkie: http://www.petgroomer.com/Grooming101/Breeds/yorkshire_terrier.htm Or you can do what many do and that is have it done professionally every few months…

Lauren

You need a set of clippers. You can get them at petsmart, walmart, etc. You can also use moustache clippers. The standard is 1/3 of the ear gets shaved, but i think in your situation, you may be able to get away with shaving the whole ear this one time. make sure to get all of the inside also. for the excess hair inside the ear, pull it out. if you do it quickly, it’s not painful for the dog. GOOD LUCK!

Anna

The best thing I know of doing…. take your puppy to Petsmart (hopefully there’s one around you) and get the puppy grooming package. It’s like $10 and those people go through VERY extensive training to learn special techniques… especially on small, very popular breeds like yorkies, poodles and shih tzus. I’m sure if you ask they would love to show you what to do.
    I know for a fact that they have to have some very extensive knowledge on these types of things because I was a dog bather there and watched the groomers train and memorize every detail to pass the national grooming exam.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.