Can you house a peachface lovebird w/a blue masked

Home Community Birds Can you house a peachface lovebird w/a blue masked

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jill 16 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jill

I just typed a long question and sent it and it didn’t go through, so I will try again. I have a 7 mo. old peachface lovebird (Zoey–first bird) My husband has shown interest in the blue masked lovebirds and wondered if they could be caged together? We would not be getting them for breeding purposes, just for a pet. Would they automatically try to breed if put together? I know there is a quarantine period and that you have to be really careful that they are compatable so they don’t kill each other. I have read responses to questions ask on this forum that say "no reputable breeder would breed 2 lovebirds of a different species" so I know you aren’t supposed to do it. Just was curious if you aren’t planning on breeding them, if they could be put together "platonically" so to speak?? Please don’t try to make me feel stupid when you respond, I am asking because I don’t know, so be gentle…….

kim

You can house these together. Are they male & female? In that case they may or may not breed, depending on if they believe they’re compatible to one another(they gotta like each other). If they’re m/f & you do not intend to breed them, please house them seperately.

Jill

My peachface hasn’t been DNA sexed, but we think it’s a female. We are "thinking" about getting another bird perhaps a blue masked lovebird. We haven’t gotten another bird yet. Just in the "talking" and researching phase.

Jane

Peach-faced lovebirds and masked lovebirds SHOULD NOT be housed together. They are better off housed seperarely and allowed to interact under careful, careful supervision. This isn’t to say that a peachie and masked CAN’T be housed together, it’s generally frowned upon. Peachies are often very aggressive and territorial towards a new bird in his or her cage, particularly when another species of lovebird… or another species of parrot altogether. It’s better to allow each bird to have his or her own home. If, after much care observation, it becomes apparent that the 2 birds can co-exist together outside of a cage as well as in, then you can re-consider using a new, larger cage. Please be sure not to breed a peach-faced lovebird with a masked. Fertile eggs that are allowed to hatch will produce hyrbird young. This is highly frowned upon — peachie x masked hybrids are lovely to look at but sterile. Best of luck introducing your new birds after quarantine; please post an update to let everyone know how they are doing.

Jill

Hello, it has been a while since this post. I have since gotten a whiteface violet peachface female…….and found out my seagreen pied that I thought was a female, turned out to be a male. I am housing the 2 peachfaces separately…..no babies! But they have out of the cage together time and are friends.

We just got our blue masked lovebird last week and are planning caging him separately as well.

I have heard of people caging them together on another forum, but I know I would have to be 100% sure they got along and that would take lots and lots of observation! Thanks for your feedback!

Jill

Thank you for the information. I am caging them all 3 separate. But oddly enough, my female peachface (wf violet) had a preening session with the new blue masked this morning. I even got pictures of it. Too cute. My other male HATES him. I had to pull him off of the new guy this morning. :0(

Jill

It’s been a while since I posted this…….I have gotten a fourth lovebird that is also a peachface and gradually introduced him to the blue masked after having them caged separately and out of the cage time together and they got along from day one. They are best buddies! Both male. It’s really cool to see them be so close. They sleep on top of each other in the snuggle hut. They preen each other after a bath. They share food. It has really worked out, just with a different peachface than I was inquiring about before.

As I have said many times, all birds are different and some don’t get along, so just be careful introducing new birds. My peachface and masked get along wonderfully!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.