Breed only if you know what to do

Home Community Dog Breeding & Breeds Breed only if you know what to do

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Heather 16 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Aimee

Look, I don’t want to sound rude, but here goes. Those of you who are sensative dont read on.
    Why breed your dogs? The only way a dog should be bred is if you have forever homes that are promising to take care of pup from 8 weeks to death. Good luck with that! Trust me just because it’s a purebred with papers doesn’t mean it won’t end up getting passed around homes or taken to a shelter.
    I work for a shelter and we see plenty of purbreds. As a matter of fact my papered Rottweiler, Doberman and maine coon cat are all from my shelter. (They are all neutered too) Are you breeding to make money? Because a good breeder should break even or even lose money each litter. That is if they get the bitch and pups all of their proper vet care and proper food, housing, etc.
    They are always cute as a pup but not everyone thinks they are the first time they chew something or pee somewhere they aren’t supposed to. Trust me; I have that job you all hate. Every other week I have the unfortunate job of being the "dog and cat killer" Trust me I don’t enjoy it but when here are TOO MANY DOGS AND CATS in the world my coworkers and I have to make the tough decisions.
    Try volunteering at the local shelter before picking out that stud or spending the money you planned on fixing your pet with on something else. Maybe then you’ll get a minor glimpse at what I deal with each day. Please think twice before breeding.

Sue

BRAVO you are so right. You will probably get a lot of flak on here tho as there are a lot of BYB’s here. Other things to consider before you breed – has your dog been proven to meet the breed standard by showing or working competitions where it has earned titles & championships indicating it is worthy of breeding? Will you be doing all the necessary pre breeding health testing on both dogs to be sure you aren’t going to be passing on any diseases to the other dog or the litter? Do you have at least $3,000 set aside to cover health care or emergencies such as a C – section? Do you really want to expose your pet to all the types of cancer rampent in un neutered dogs & cats? And all that is just for openers

Danielle

To bad horse breeders don’t carry the same ideas. I have seen to many BRB in the horse industry that breed grade to grade, and bad tempered horses. No care in the world for the temperment, conformation, or skills they are breeding for. Usually they are not out to ‘better the breed’ but to make a quick $500. The foals usually find their way to slauther houses. There is not much else you can do with the overload of horses these days. Especially with this drought. Think before you breed.

lauren

Another thing to keep in mind is: are you willing to take back a puppy at any time? A responsible breeder is. If the original owner can no longer care for the puppy, you are the one who brought the pup into this world, (not techniclly, but you understand) and you’re responsible for it. Also test your dogs OFA and CERF (at least) and for (I can never spell this) brucellosis(?). These are mandatory tests that should be done before breeding. Also, never breed a dog that has heart, knee, hip, eye, temperment, or other genetic problems. Don’t breed unless it is for the betterment of the breed. If these precautions are not taken, often breeding only ends in heartbreak whether the dam dies, the pups are deformed or dead, the pups are sick or have genetic health/temperment problems, etc.

Aimee

It is so nice to see that some of you out there actually use your brains when it comes to animals. I appreciate you bringing up the horses too. I myself raise quarter horses and although I have four mares I have had only one foal and that is because I wanted it. He is now one year old and I plan to keep him for myself. I would never breed to sell; I just see too much stupidity with livestock in my line of work. He will be gelded when old enough. I hope this makes people think twice before breeding. Thanks again to all of you who agree and have the guts to say something. I have noticed that several people here although they probably care for their pets don’t realize the risks and responsability that comes with breeding.

Sue

pch you’re preaching to the choir here. I was in sheltering & an ACO for 15 years – matter of fact I founded a shelter in 97. I cannot tell you the abuse I have taken on this board by the BYB’s but it hasn’t stopped me yet. Thanks for posting this thread. I too am glad to see others with some grey matter!!

Kendell

Thank you for your post! I just found this forum and in the quick look I’ve taken at topics, it was making me crazy to see how many people were breeding willy-nilly, then coming here to ask basic questions.

Glad to see there are responsible pet owners here too.

Heather

I am a breeder, and I agree with you 100%. My pups go with a contract that states they are NEVER to be tied out-I do home checks-and they are ALL to come back to me if the owners get into a situation that they can no longer keep their pet-NO MATTER WHAT THE AGE. My dogs are OFA certified and are a temperment A++ I keep in touch with families throughout their dogs lives, and am selective in temperment and health when breeding. My litters are usually sold before they are born-I start screening early, since it is a hard process to find the "right" homes. I, too, worked at a shelter and veterinary hospital. The only reason I got into breeding is when I was looking for a rottweiler to replace one that died of old age, I could not find ANY responsible breeders in my area. You’re right you don’t make money, you are lucky to break even (I’ve spent 4500.00 this year alone in dogs supplies, vet bills, food, etc and the year isn’t half over). I don’t charge outrageous prices, I just want to help families get a healthy, sound temperment pup for family use/companion. So not all of us are bad 🙂

Catherine

Right on !!! I to have had to do this seen and heard alot of things that have made me sick and angry with people. i Wish you had to have a licence to breed if this is what you wanted to do you had to take classes have to jump through hoops making it harder for brb to ruin our wonderful breeds though i know it would be a headache for the good breeders i think it would be worth it if it helped stop the over breeding

Heather

I agree with having to get a license to breed-and would be willing to jump through whatever hoops they have-ALL dogs should be required to have their DHLPP vaccines, heartworm/fecal tests, bordatella, lyme vaccine where needed and heartworm and flea/tick prevention-sadly state law only requires a rabies vaccine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.