URGENT! – keeping a dog warm

Home Community Senior Dogs URGENT! – keeping a dog warm

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Faris

Hi! I have a problem and that is that it is around 5C outside and is windy and raining. My dad will not let me bring my dog inside the house so what can I do to keep her as warm as possible? She has a kennel, a blanket and I put her sweater on and a windbreaker over it. I also put her kennel in a place where there is almost no wind and is as dry as possible. I’m worried that she might catch something during the night because it is 2:15am right now, I’ve been searching for tips to keep her warm all night but I couldn’t find much useful stuff. Also she is almost 10 years old now and since she’s a golden retriever I think that she might catch something like pneumonia or bronchitis or any other disease which can kill her at this age. What is even worse is that I’m travelling on saturday and I don’t want her to get sick when I’m not there because I don’t entirely trust my dad to take as much care of her as I would, he’ll put the expenses of the vet before the dog. What else can I do to keep her warm and prevent her from getting sick? please reply as soon as possible thanks Faris

Karen

She is really too old to be living outside. She is a senior dog and living outside could help shorten her life span. It is a lot of work for a dog to keep warm in the winter, extra calories are needed not to mention proper shelter. And if she does not use a dog house or shelter for some reason, depending on how cold it gets there (my conversions from Farenheit to Celcius is not that great) she could freeze to death. I live in Virginia, USA and though considered MidAtalntic to Southern region, we have been averaging about 25 – 29 F at night. Anyhow, your dog needs several things: 1) A weather proof shelter. No leaks, no drafts and raised a few inches off the ground. It should be facing away from prevailing winds, have a door flap and ideally, the best dog houses for outside I have seen are L-shaped or U-shaped inside so the dog can get around a corner and away from door drafts. 2) Bedding that is changed at least once a day. Damp bedding (even those outdoor mats can get damp) holds no heat and can make the dog have to work harder to keep warm. The bedding should be thick and heavy so the dog can snuggle down. Just a blanket will not be enough. Straw covered with a couple heavy blankets will help. Or you can actually buy heated dog beds for use in outdoors shelters. But the dog needs something it can snuggle down into that will help hold body heat. Just a blanket will not do that. 3) Feed a perfromance level food and give two meals a day. A dog will need the extra energy and calories, etc in this food for winter life. 4) Water freezing and dehydration are serious concerns in the winter. The air tends to be drier and dry air can lead to increased risk of dehydration just as heat can. So you will need to ensure that the water does not freeze (there are heated outdoor water buckets you can buy) or make sure you go out three or four times a day and offer fresh water. Also, add warm water to her kibble at meal times and this will get more fliud into her. 5) Health, the cold and cold and damp will have an affect on aging joint, can worsed the effects of arthitis, etc. Also, you have to watch for weight loss, underweight dogs have a harder time staying warm. Dogs with matts or tangles do not stay as warm as they do not hold heat. Also, your dog is a breed not really bred for total life outside. Hope this helps.

Faris

Thanks a lot you guys. She’s fine… I managed to get her into the laundry room and she’s happy there and I gave her lots of blankets and stuff and she’s all happy wagging her tail and energetic, not to mention, not in the least bit stiff. Bringing her in did a lot of good ;D. Thanks again Faris

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.