Ringworm

Home Community Dogs Health Ringworm

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Sue 17 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Karen

First, ringworm is NOT a worm. It is only called that because the lesions that develop sometimes resemble a worm in a ring. Actually, ringworm is a fungal infection in the same family of fungi that causes athlete’s foot and "jock itch." It is found naturally in the environment but often more prevalent in warm, humid places like gym locker rooms, etc. Ringworm is contagious and can be transmitted from human to animal and from animal to human. Again, it is the same family of fungi that causes some fungal infections in humans (athlete’s foot is NOT fun). Now, yes, other things can be transmitted from dog to human. Scabies in humans is a parasite that causes mange in dog. But just touching or treating a dog with mange does notmean you will contract it. Various worms can infect humans – especially of you do not properly wash your hands and also make sure your dog is worm free – annual fecal checks for intestinal parasie should be done. Even if your dog is on heartworm prevention that prevents other parasites, get the check done, no prevention is 100% effective. Rabies – an often fatal viral infection – can be transmitted from infected dog to human. This is why it is SO important to make sure your dog is current on at least its rabies vaccine and if you get bitten or scratched by a dog, especially a stray, you seek medical treatment immediately and hopefully if the dog is one you know, that the owner can verify in writing the vaccine status of the dog (current rabies certificate that should also be follwoed up with a call to the administering vet to make sure it is correct). And post-exposure rabies shots are not bad. I have gone through them around 1996 and then rabies prevention vaccines two years ago. Nothing like what they used to be!!! These are the main things to think about.

🙂 😉 😀 ;D ??? 😛 :-*Can I catch ringworm, or any other disease or worm infection from a dog???

gonen

I used once the wormer and it helped me. Do you know if ot helps also for this n-worm ringworm?

lea

how do you know if your dog as ringworm

Sue

"I used once the wormer and it helped me. Do you know if ot helps also for this n-worm ringworm?"

Ringworm is a skin disease, it is NOT an internal worm. The link you provided is pretty useless since it doesn’t tell you what kind of worms it treats. You should never worm your pet yourself because any wormer is a poison & unless a fecal has been done under a microscope you have no way of knowing what to treat. You may be treating something he doesn’t have while not treating what he does. YES, ringworm is very contageous from dog/cat to human. There are other skin diseases that can be passed as well

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.