Does Your Dog Watch TV?

Home Community Dog Behavior Does Your Dog Watch TV?

This topic contains 1,039 replies, has 55 voices, and was last updated by  Max 3 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,040 total)
  • Author

LIsa

my 2 year old maltese watches TV. She really responds..ie barks growls when there are dogs on tv. She runs to the tv set and barks and tries to get them. I cant watch an episode of the Dog Whisperer without her going crazy, which gets quite annoying. Its not just live dogs either, she goes nuts when there are animated dogs as well…I have read that doctors don’t agree that dogs can watch television, but I tend to disagree when I have seen the reaction my dog has when there are dogs on the TV.

Click on any picture to see full size:

Nellis

I have a dog and a cat and they only care when they hear life-life barking or meowing. However, our dog listens to our home videos when he hears us.

diana

Haha, I haven’t heard of such a thing with dogs, though I’ve seen some through funny videos.

Kym

one of my dogs is a TV addict. there is a dog training show that’s on every day, and he won’t let me miss it. as soon as he hears the hosts’ voice, he barks and is glued to the TV.
    they all love The Incredible Journey.

Jan

My female only pays attention if my fiance is watching a (boring) hunting show and she hears ducks or geese on the TV. Then she sits there and just STARES, head cocked to one side and then the other. I suppose that makes sense, with her being a hunting dog and the fact that they both go nuts when they hear real ducks and geese. My male doesn’t react to them on TV though. They both perk up when they hear other dogs bark on TV (although my male always looks a bit confused but then he is a bit "special"). Otherwise they could care less.

Pepe

there’s only one thing that seems to get my dogs attention on TV, and that’s when i watch the life of birds, the BBC documentary.

Sherry

IYes, dogs do watch tv.. Ther is never a time that my Shihtzu, Gabriella doesn’t watch and respond when I turn on Animal Planet and there are dogs and cats on there. She especially loves the cats and loves to watch this program and actually responds in her little chatter voice to it.

Beverly

Yes my Shih Tzu watches TV- she was watching the dog show with me on Thanksgiving– and when an ad came on TV the dog on the screen walked out of the scene and my dog went around to the back of the TV to see where it went. As soon as she sees a dog or hears a bark she will look up at the TV and bark at it or get as close to the TV as she can to see what is going on- it is so cute..

john

I had a beloved German shepherd that would, once in a while, glance at the boob tube, but, for the most part, couldn’t care less about what was on the tv. That is why I was so shocked when my new border collie took complete control of the living room, Tivo and all! Wolfie will actually nip on my toes every time I put my favorite news programs on instead of his favorite Animal Planet pet shows. I have a backlog of about 9 hours of my favorite programming on the Tivo that Wolfie won’t let me watch! I’m besides myself because I can’t even watch the tv in the other room–he insists I be there with him watching America’s Funniest Animals. I have video footage of him watching his shows, and they are hilarious ! But those animal shows can be tedious for a human after 10 straight hours.

M

My retriever watches TV all the time! Sometimes he just listens, so I think the picture isn’t that important to him.
    He loves anything with birds or dogs in it – his ears just pop up and down and he cocks his head… he does occassionally bark at them, but I think he really likes the noise.
    He does have a bit of a panic attack if a doorbell rings or there’s a knock on a door in a TV show. He thinks it’s at our door and needs to be reassured that it wasn’t. He seems to understand the sentence "It was just on TV"… calms him down pretty quickly.
    I’m waiting for Hotel for Dogs to be on DVD to see what he thinks…

Elizabeth

My dog TOTALLY watches TV. She as scared of
    TV when I first adopted her but now she loves Animal Planet. My BF also bought her a DVD of "Dog-On TV" and she likes that, too. She only likes animal shows, though. When I have the human stuff on, she could care less. Guess she just doesn’t understand reality shows. 😉

Linda

Hi…..yes, my 7 year shih tzu watches TV all the time. Whenever any animal comes on the screen she just goes crazy, barking and jumping around. We get quite a chuckle out of her

SJ

He definaly recognises the shapes of the animals, and will lunge at the tv when dogs, cats, large cats or bears are on TV. This includes when the TV is muted or if we pause the TV before he comes he still trys to attack the tv however with people, or most other animals he is not bothered. He doesnt even care if a horse or wildabeast charge accross the screen as long as no other large animals is chasing them!
    For us this is a real problem one which we are trying desperatly to fix.

john

My border collie,Wolfie, as I previously posted, watches Animal Channel ALL day long! I got him his own large screen tv, and he loves it. He watches TIVO recordings of "The Planet’s Funniest Animal" from morning to night. However, a disturbing new trend has arisen: he no longer has the patience to watch the commercials. When the commercial comes on, he pesters me to speed the TIVO through it. Since Animal Planet shows many commercials , Wolfie has become a major annoyance, forcing me to get up to zap the commercials. I’d like to watch my own shows or take a nap on the couch, but that’s now difficult to accomplish. Help! I’ve created a monster!

Brooke

I have a lab pitbull mix and he loves watching tv. Most other dogs will just look up at the screen or react if they hear a disturbing noise but my dog will lay on the bed and give his full attention to what’s happening on the tv.
    He reacts to certain animals (especially horses and elephants) or violent scenes. You can actually watch his eyes following the movement on the television, it is hillarious but he really seems to like it. We joke about it all the time, he really loves his shows.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,040 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.