I have a biter too

Home Community Dog Behavior I have a biter too

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  nicola 18 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Amyre

He’s juat about 6 months old and he doesn’t really bite me all that much but he attacks my sister at least once a day, he turns into a completely different dog and won’t stop biting her unless I come and pick him up (and he’s getting to big for that) and move him out of the room. I tried to teach him to stop biting with saying the words "no bite" forcefully, and it works some times but not when he’s in attack mode, is there anything I can do to get him to stop going after her? A lot of his bad behaviors he will stop but as soon as I turn around he’s at it again. Also he’s a digger and I can’t get him to stop digging at the carpet and chewing on cords, is there any advice on those issues too?? Thanks so much!

Daphne
    Participant

So a couple of problems. He’s adorable by the way. With your sister, it sound like he is different with her because he does not regard her as the pack leader – possibly as a rival – and he needs to learn his position in relation to everyone in the family not just you. I dont have much advice, except to read about the Nothing IN Life Is Free (NILIF) program below – let me know how you get on!

Amyre

Thank you and thank you!, I’ll go look at it right now!

nicola

As Daphne says its probably a thing with your puppy thinking he is top dog or at least higher up than your sister. Daphnes suggestion is good. There are various ways of training your dog (my ex used clicker training which worked well) If he is particularly agressive with your sister then you really need to get her to do some of the alpha male roles too (feeding him after pretending to eat some of the food herself, having hold of his favourite toyand not letting him have it until he obeys her. IF it is a specific thing like biting she should try completely ignoring him when he is behaving badly then once he has stopped and is sitting down start to play/praise/treat him. As to chewing its a case of keeping a close eye on him and catching him in the act then gently reprimanding him for it, if your not there when he does it there is no point in telling him off afterwards

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.