What reptiles would you class as good for a first reptile pet?

Home Community Reptiles What reptiles would you class as good for a first reptile pet?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  a. yadira 17 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

SJ

"I often have people asking me that question "What reptiles would you class as good for a first reptile pet?" or something similar, my answer is generaly "Well it depends" then you give them a list which includes "What do you know about reptiles?", "What were you thinking about getting?", "Will you be able to feed it mice or something similar", "Are you wanting to handle it? And if so how often?", "How much money and time do you have to spare on it?", "Do you know a vet that can and is qualified in treating reptiles or hertiles?" and many more, they often get confused by all these questions and answer, "Well I was thinking a royal (ball) python (or something as daft), I will be able to afford food for it, I have no problem feeding live mice and rats to it, Ill handle it all the time…" and on and on they go. You sort of stand there thinking "If they get one it wont last long", Royals should not be handled often, no reptile should be handled often, and royals are easily brused. Feeding live is dangerouse, have you ever been biten by a mouse or rat? It hurts and can get infected ect. It is also illegal to feed live vertabrates in England. They dont know of any reptile vets and dont see why it would need one, there hardy animals after all. Err no, owners should have a vet for all the animals in thier care.

My point from all this ranting is that many people think about getting a reptile simply because they are ‘cool’, this is not they way to get a reptile."

claire

leapard gecko

raymond

Hi I’m thinking of getting my son a pet and as he loves snakes and lizards it seemed like a good pet. Are there any type of reptile that dont mind being handles once a day? I would obviously supervise him when he had it out of the aquarium and make sure he fed it regularly (although would rather not feed it live mice etc if possible). I live in Florida (not sure if that makes a difference to the type he can have). Would greatly appreciate any help

SJ

It is not nessicary to feed most snakes live food, it can be bought frozen. You just have to allow it to defrost then feed it, it can be difficult to get a snake which is used to live food to take frozen, so for that reason I would suggest if you were to get a snake to make sure it has been fed frozen food and see if you can watch the feeding technique aswell as witnessing the snake eating the frozen food as some pet shops will lie. Be very careful when buying a reptile as some pet shops will lie, sell ill animals and you could end up with a ill snake which will cost alot to get back to full health, could die or even buy a reptile which is not the sort you thought it was. I would recommed asking many people on their opionions and read up alot on their suggestions.
    ——-
    How old is your son? For a first snake I always suggests a corn snake, they usualy end up at 3 to 6 ft, which may sound alot but I have seen 5 year olds easily handleing them. They are great snakes. For a lizard I usualy suggest a leopord gecko or a bearded dragon. Please note that reptiles can live for a long time, corn snakes and geckos can live for 20 years, the beadie can live to be 15 years and they need proper care thought out their lives. For more information email me or just leave another message, as I will be coming on more often again.

raymond

My son is eight and I’m on the cusp of getting him a leopard gecko so I’m really glad that that was one of your suggestions. I have been to a few stores most of which just recomended something they had in stock. One guy recomended the gecko though and showed me one that he had already sold but said he would be getting some more in within the month, he seemed quite genuin so I am planning on going back at the weekend to see if he has got any in.

louise

Thanks we did get the leopard, my son loves him and he doesnt seem too upset when handled etc which is the best I would expect from a reptile !?!?

Jo

Leopards and Crested Geckos are great beginner reps. They are both hardy and eay to care for, and they both take handling well.

Jennifer

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to add That Bearded Dragons are AWESOME first reptile pets. they are The DOGS of reptiles..LOVE people attention and just great all around. THEY do eat alot the first year..up to 100 crickets a day plus veggies….but those crickets can be bought for 12 bucks per thousand at flukerfarms.com I have a sight if interested just email me at GypsySouthern@aol.com for the link ! I raise breed and sell Beardies is an assortment of colors !
    Blessings, Gypsy

Deb

Hello All! I LOVE the responses from "The Guys", and would really appreciate it if I get a response from them! They obviously know their animals! My 18 yr. old son just got a baby ball python 2 weeks ago – approx. 10 weeks old now. He was a gift from his girlfriend, so I wasn’t able to ask intelligent questions at the pet store….however my son & I both did extensive online research & bought 2 books on care, etc. As someone had stated on a post that I read, YES, we ended up with a snake who has a respiratory infection. Luckily we took him to our vet, who is a friend, within the first week of having him. My son was very astute and heard the "pop" in his breathing. He’s on medication now & will go back for a check next week. My question is just to ask for any general advice from anyone who is an experienced ball python owner. I also read on a post that ball pythons shouldn’t be handled every day…? We HAVE been handling "Zeus" every day (except for feeding day and the day after). We thought this would be a good thing to get him accustomed to our touch. He’s eating frozen/thawed pinkie mice by the way and has eaten just fine so far. And advice or thoughts are much appreciated. Deb

SJ

Ball Pythons (or Royal Pythons) are delicate reptiles, while handling Zeus does get him used to you and your son holding him which is helpful especialy during vet trips, and checks at home, handling can damage the snake. Under the scales there can be extensive bruising from handling. If you and your son are going to handle Zeus then be extreamly gentle. Im glad to hear youve already got a vet sorted for he, well done! It can be difficult to get a reptile vet. Another side effect i have witnessed may times from the handling of Ball Pythons is that they have then refused to eat. I would NOT recommed a Ball Python as a first reptile, I have seen these animals stave themselves to death when every type of feeding method had been used, they were force fed in the end but often brought the food back up. If he starts refusing to eat keep a close eye on his weight. Since he sounds happy and healthy at the moment you and your son are doing a great job! As long as you are been very gentle while handling him just maybe dont handle him the day before feeding as well and skip a day in the middle of the week, so he has a day off. And once a week or so durng his handling time weigh him to make sure that he is putting weight on, ball pythons when they get ill go down pretty quick and are difficult to get better. Hope this has helped you abd your son Deb, all the best to you, your son and Zeus.

Deb

A big THANK YOU to "The Guys" for your very quick and very informative response! It is much appreciated by myself, my son, AND Zeus!! Thanks Again! DebK

a. yadira

I had a leapard gecko. It’s a easy pet to take care of, but I soon found that leapard geckos are noturnal. When I was awake he was sleeping. In the end having a leopard gecko was boring. I Recommend a bearded dragon. A bearded dragon is docile by nature. I love mine. I take him out with his leash straped on and place him on my shoulder. I toke him to the park and even at work. I really feel whatever you decide to have make sure you know what your getting into.

Click on any picture to see full size:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.