Very Aggresive Dog! Barks at Everything, Tries to Bite Kids!!!

Home Community Dog Behavior Very Aggresive Dog! Barks at Everything, Tries to Bite Kids!!!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 19 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Karen

Basically the best and safest things you and your friends can do if the owners are not willing to work with the dog is to AVOID the dog at all costs. It is noble to want to do something but the dog legally is not yours and all you can do is hope the ownes act before tragedy occurs. Also, if you see the dog loose, you must have an adult contact animal control since the dog poses a real risk to the community. Also by hanging over the fence to try and pat the dog, your firend was invading his territory. German Shepherds and other breeds can be protective of their turf and will try and stop anything or one they feel invading. Many kids get bitten every year hanging over fences to pat dogs. I teach dog bite prevention classes for all ages and have worked with our state Dept of Health in the past and am part of their injury prevention network. Please make sure no one hangs over the fence to pat the dog. Since you are a kid, you are not in a position to do much legally also the liability for you to do much with the dog in regards to seeing if they will let you train it is great. I am going to give you a link to some downloable dog safety information you can print up and pass out in your community, however. That is probably the best thing you can do – educate the public. http://www.safekidssafedogs.com/Downloads/downloads.html Aside from this, unless the owners are willing to be responsible, all anyone can do is inform the local authorities and see if they can step in and talk to the owners regarding their dog.

mirical97266

My neighbor’s dog is a one year old German Shepard. The owners got it when it was a puppy, and it was their first dog. They didn’t know ANYTHING about them, so I trained it for a few months for them. They are a little abusive to it, but not too much. I told them not to hit him anymore, or else he might get even worse. He WONT stay down and he barks at cars, kids, cats, ANYTHING! The neighbors have sent a complaint about him. The kids who live there are even afraid of their own dog. They dont want to go out in the yard anymore or he will jump on them. They are very afraid of him, what should they do? They love him, but knowone can train it. They dont have enough money to " buy " a professional trainer. The dog is getting so bad, when my friend tried to pet it over the fence, it looked at her and showed his teeth and tried to rip her hand off! He is VERY aggresive, the only kid he doesn’t do it to is me, and the kids that live there. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Karen

And if you checked the site I gave tyo there are downloads to help make a safer dog there and increase dog safety. I can also provide you with other links but if teh owners are not willing to work with the dog, there is not much you can legally do. Also, you walking this dog is a major liability for you and the owners. Since you are a minor, you really cannot take responsibility for the dog and his actions. I know personally how hard it is to restrain a large dog trying to go after something. I have worked with thousands of dogs over the past 22 years. If the dog breaks from you and nails someone, the owners and your parents could be liable for damages. Also, sometimes dogs redirect their frustrations and aggressions at the people restraining them. Are you willing to risk being mauled? Same thing with trying to cath teh dog if it gets out. The dog should be behind a 6 foot fence – too high to be leaned over and high enough to deter most dogs from jumping. You also have to know your local laws – if the dog is habitually getting out or does enough and is a risk to the neighborhood, the owners can be charged for failing to properly retrain their dog. In January, I did a dangerous dog evaluation for an appeal going to the county. The owner was not safely confining the dog to her yard (used an invisible fence) and the dog mauled another dog that was able to access her property or he got off the property (there is a discrepancy in stories from the victim and dog owner). The best thing you can do to help the dog is get those responsibel for maintaining the safety of the community and the animals (animal control) involved. Sometimes just a trip or two form a legal authority is enough to get owners to turn around.

mirical97266

I’m asking this question because I am trying to help the owner OUT by giving them some advice, I cant just say avoid your won dog! If the dog got out, I would get him, I am the only one he trusts, and will come to without a struggle or fight. I use to train him, I just gave up after he put a BIG ugly scratch down my face. And when my friend was going to pet him, you dont actually have to hang over the fence to get to him, he is so tall he’s just RIGHT there. I saw his expression when he was about to bite my friend, he stopped for a second, I was going to pull my friend away, but he tried to get her. I use to try to take him on walks, the first person he saw was a man in his own yard, and I had tro hold him back.

Karen

Well, the shep may be playing with the dogs because he may be HUMAN aggressive and not dog aggressive – these are two diffeent traits. The strays in the area are bored, looking for things to do and have learned they probably have a great playmate down the road. However, still be careful that not all dogs will be friendly with each other and fights can result. Personally, I would not permit starys in my yard for many reasons – the biggest is health. I have no idea if these dogs are up on shots – especially rabies vaccines. If my dog gets any injury and is not current on shots (and that never happens with my pets), he can and will be treated as an unvaccinated dog by the law and this can mean every thing from the dog who hurt him (intentionally or in play gone too rough) can be put down if the owner cannot be found and my dog could be quarantined for at least 10 days (each community’s laws vary) or put down if I chose not to quarantine and both dogs tested for rabies. It is inadvisable for owners to allow their dogs to play with dogs whose vaccination records you cannot verify. My sister happens to be a vet so I get all the horror stories – and she sometimes covers for vets at the Michigan Human Society branch near her. There is also the risk of parasites (and many parasites can be transmitted to humans like roung works, tape worms, etc) that strays can carry. Not only that but stray dogs are at physical risk and by these dogs running loose especially the pits, if there is any incident with them or assumed caused by them, your community runs the risk of developing a breed ban on them. I have seen it happen before and am currently helping fight three major bans in the US and Canada. 🙁 Many dogs can hike a six foot fence if they want to. Also you still have to be very careful walking this dog if you are a minor because of increased liability for the owners. Are you aware that a Shepherd if it really wants to take off can pull hundreds of pounds? There are Shepherds out there weight pulling that are hauling many times more than I weight. turst me, I have watched shepherds haul off some very large men because the dog wanted to. Walking another person’s dog is a huge liability for the dog owner and for you. Yuo must be careful and if the dog shows human aggression, you should not be walking him in public until the owners address the issue. If you are a minor, you cannot legally take the dog to classes as you cannot sign a contract. I allow kids to take my classes as long as the parents sign the release form and if the dog is not owned by the child, I must have a letter from the owner stating that they will be liable for anything their dog does at the hands of the minor.

mirical97266

I think I it would be 100% safer if walked the dog. I know more about him then the owners, and I am also stronger. I can hold him back easily, I make sure of it. lol, I love animals wnough to take ANY chances. Being mauled, been there, done that. lol, It wasin’t a fun experience, but I learned from it! There’s new things to learn about thoughs fasinating, furry things every day. The owners just put up a big fence today, it’s Way bigger than six feet! lol, it’s pretty cool. The weird thing is, every stray dog that has come by, pitbulls, agressive labs, they all jump the fence into Shermans yard! Can you explain that! All they do is play when they do! It’s pretty fasinating. Oh, and thanks for the sites

mirical97266

Every time the strays go into Sherman’s yard, I go in their and chase them out. I never touch them of course, or anger them. All I have to do is walk in there and they jump the fence and head down the road. I mainly do it because the dogs are WAY to close to my bunny! lol, love her more than anything, and besides, she also has babies. I watch her constantly when I put her out because of dogs. knowone ever walks Sherman any more anyway. We dont trust him. They REALLY need to start off with a calm, tustworthy, possibly older dog. Maybe from the shelter. I think that would be a good idea, starting over.

Karen

PLEASE be careful with this as you are not only trespassing but going into a dog’s territory who has shown human aggression issues (and just because he tolerates you sometimes does ntomean he always will) and chasing out strange dogs – this is putting you in MAJOR potential danger. Have you ever seen what a dog can do to a human? I have and have watched people get sent to the hospital from maulings – people I know well and who are dog professionals but just did not think or were using older techniques that even further threatened the dogs. You need to allow the owners to deal with the issues and not you for your safety. Also you are putting your neighbors in serious position for legal issues from your family if anythinh happens to you. Do what you want but I personally think you need to reconsider your personal safety.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.