WHICH FOOD IS BEST?

Home Community Cat Food & Feeding WHICH FOOD IS BEST?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Amyre 18 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

MISTY

??? HI EVERYONE, i am new to this site. i came upon it accidently while reading a piece about what realy goes into cat food. it absolutely sickened me and i am now on a mission to find the best, most nutritional cat food for my furry babies. i have 5 kids ranging in ages from 1-22! the younger 3 eat only dry food and the older 2, having less than a full set of teeth between them, eat/suck only wet food. i try to stick to senior food for the older ones but i find the variety very restricting. i have experimented with many brands of wet and dry food and have narrowed the favourites down. their favourite dry is James Wellbeloved and favourite wet is most pouches. (only the more expensive ones of course!) 😉 so my question is: does anyone have any info on the BEST cat food and where i can buy it? xxxx

Karen

There are many excellent cat foods out there. A good rule of thumb: 1) If it is cheap, it is lesser quality 2) If it is sold through a grocery store or department store, it is lesser quality. (even some pet supply stores sell grocery store brands – so avoid anything that is sold through a grocery store. Often the ingredients are lesser quality and the food harder to digest). Now, with these rules of thumb, I am going to recommend a few of the many good cat foods out there that a good pet supply or feed store should carry: Royal Canin Avoderm Bil-Jac Natural Balance Natural Life Wellness (and Old Mother Hubbard canned same food) Nutro Naturals and Nutro Max Solid Gold (NOT Pet Gold, SG used to be called Cats’n’Flocken – this is what I feed personally as one of my cats is allergic to poultry and this is poultry free). Nature’s Recipe Wysong Flint river ranch These are some of the premium to super premuim brands out there and all brands I recommend. If you need to go to a supermarket, Purina ONE is one of the better of the grocery store brands. Again, the list of foods I gave are only a few. These are higher quality and can be gotten in many places including on line if needed.

Karen

Pull him off the Wal-Mart brands. They are poor quality and harder to digest. Also, often you have to feed more to get the same nutritional value of a higher quality food. One of the things I have done is to put a lot of time into studying animal nutrition. Just because a cat or dog loves a food, does not mean it should be fed. A gradual switch will greatly lower the risk of diarrhea. The first week, replace a small amount of the old food with the new food. Over the next couple weeks, increase gradually the new food until the cats are no longer eating the old. Higher quality foods have other benefits: *Less waste and often less odorous waste. *Better skin and coat health. *Overall health can be affected by nutrition. Think of some of these foods as allowing your child to live on fast food. Yes, he can get grain (rolls), meat (the burger or chicken), vegetables (the pickles, lettuce and tomatoes) and dairy (cheese and those shakes). But is the diet healthy and the food quality? No. This is what feeding your cat lower quality brands is like. If you absolutely MUST feed a brand sold at WalMart, other department stores or grocery stores, find Iams or Purina ONE. They are the better of these foods. But they are still not the quality of any of the ones I listed for the original poster.

FoxxyKitty

I agree with all the replies, the cheaper the food the less quality your getting. Grant you the better quality is expensive, but these animals are not your PETS, they are your CHILDREN. Anyways mine are. So I went to the EXPERT in the field and was told either Iams or PurinaOne are the best you can purchase from the grocery or department stores. As both the children at very happy with there new daily grub. 🙂

Karen

It depends on the countyr of origin of the food and what by products are used. There is misconception as to what the words on labels really mean. I just submitted a short bit to this site on how to interpret food labels for the novice. The info is based on US interpretations and other countries may have looser or stricter requirements. By products may not be all that bad depending on the source of the meat. An excerpt: "Meat/Meat Based ? This is the clean flesh from an animal. It may also include organ meats, tendons, blood vessels, etc. (Regardless of the meat used). Meat Meal ? Rendered meat, it may NOT contain hair, hooves, or stomach contents. Rendering is to extract all usable bits from the animal by heating ? such as taking oils from rendering fat. Meal gives a better true weight as is it dried when used. Meat By-Products ? These are elements (cleaned) such as organs, bone, blood and fatty tissue. No hooves or hair should be in by-products. Poultry By-Products ? Clean parts of chicken like organs, feet, and heads but no fecal matter. Poultry By-Product meal ? Rendered by-products and no feathers added. Meat and Bone Meal ? From meat and bone but does not contain hooves, hair, blood, manure, hide pieces, stomach, etc. Tallow ?This is hard white fat that is hard to digest. Animal Digest ? This is NOT the stomach content, as the name would imply. This is chemically broken down animal tissue. It does not contain horn, beaks, hair, hooves, feathers, etc. Fish Meal ? Clean and dried fish. Great source of Omega 3 fatty acids and Salmon meal is great for both Omega 3 and 6!" Higher quality foods use higher quality protein sources. I have to feed a fish based food because I have a cat with serious poultry allergies. try to find a dry food without poultry. Very tough. I also do nothing that says meat by-products just in case there is poultry there. But if the by products are not poutry based, by products also can be organ meats which are rich in many nutrients. Meal is not bad either – it is basically dried meat and gvies a truer weight. Whole meat added to food looses a lot of water when cooked – you can end up with less meat content by weight after the water cooks out than if meal is used. But again, every country is different with what their regulations and descriptions are. You need to know what your country’s rules are for feed manufacturing. Lastly, AAFCO – yes something to look for does does not indicate quality. All this means is it meets the minimum requirements for nutrition. Many garbage brands of food meet the AAFCO requirements.

Sorry if this reaches you too late. Am new to this site also and thought I would give you my 2 cents worth. I have had persians most of my life (I am 42) and found that Science Diet does real well by my cats. Something else I noticed is that the feces and urine do not have as strong a smell as with other cat food brands. If you wish to switch to a different food do so gradually over about 3 to 4 weeks to keep diarhea at bay. Good Luck

catloverof3

Becareful of off brand cat food, they can cause allergies, which could lead to hairloss.

Amyre

grocery store brand cat food gave my male cat gall stones and he had to have a $1000 surgery to get them out so I definitely don’t recommend the grocery store brand

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.